Projects threads question...

Projects threads question...

May 15th, 2018, 2:13 am #1

Okay, because of my ongoing mental breakdown, it's looking like I'll have a bunch of nearly simultaneous shop projects going on this summer.

I mean, I always have some projects going on, of course, but some of these larger ones (like major fabrication, moving heavy machinery around, etc.) are best done in our all-too-brief summer (and even those will be tempered by what may well prove to be a rainy and chilly summer.) And, the long-planned but finally-occurring event of having the machine parts sent out for refurbishing, an event I'd been waiting for, was a "drop everything" moment- I had to fit my time into those schedules, regardless.

I am also doing well in that my work tables are relatively clear, and that most projects are coming in and going back out at a nice quick pace.

And finally, I have to admit I'm pretty sick and tired of staring at some of these unfinished projects- my entire raison d'être is to fix, repair and improve, andsome big thing sitting in the corner doing nothing but gathering dust doesn't help. 😁

So, that's a long-winded way of saying that I'll likely have a lot of project updates and posts this summer (and fall, and winter...) And now that we have a board that can bring older threads back up to the top, instead of making multiple entries, I can just keep updating a single thread.

Now, how would you ladies and gents like to see this? Right now, I have the startings of two threads, covering three different projects so far, but each also has parts of each other's projects. That's not going to work very well, as things get a little more busy.

So, Option One: I start a fresh thread for each individual project. There will probably be at least five, possibly as many as ten- at least one of which may be a catch-all for small bits that don't necessarily deserve their own thread.

Option Two: One Big Thread. All the summer projects rolled into one. I could see the thread going fifty pages before it's all done, and it'll be willy-nilly, with two pages of one machine, a half a page of another, a single post of a third, two more pages of a fourth, back to two posts on the first machine, etc, etc ad nauseum. Not a big fan, there.

Or Option Three: One update/discussion thread for all the projects, but the actual build posts will be updates on the Projects Page.

Doc.

May 15th, 2018, 2:35 am #2

I like one big thread.

May 15th, 2018, 4:48 am #3

I like option one.

May 15th, 2018, 7:23 am #4

Split the difference?  Divvy up the projects by general category (machine refurbishment, paintball, automotive, etc.) and do a thread for each category.

May 15th, 2018, 8:17 am #5

I think 1 thread per machine/project is maybe a bit excessive but that has my preference over "random pile of stuff"

Am i the only one where images hosted on docsmachine don't embed in posts properly? i can click on them and see the images no worries they just dont get inserted in the text

May 15th, 2018, 11:53 am #6

Kinda partial to individual threads myself

May 15th, 2018, 2:38 pm #7

I like the idea of individual threads because it's easier to backtrack and refresh my memory on what's been going on. (Why did he install a fire suppression system? (scroll scroll) Oh, right, the kerosene flood.) Option 2 just sounds like a blog, and Option 3 requires more work to read. (Okay, it's just a couple of clicks, but it's still more work.)
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

May 15th, 2018, 3:01 pm #8

Doc,  if tapatalk croaks, will you lose your description of the rebuilds? I'd document on projects page where you can back it up. Add notices to this as project pages get updated.

May 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm #9

What about option 4?  Can you pin or sticky a category folder thread to the top of the page and then have the links to individual machine threads inside it?

May 15th, 2018, 7:28 pm #10

FireFrenzy wrote:Am i the only one where images hosted on docsmachine don't embed in posts properly? i can click on them and see the images no worries they just dont get inserted in the text
-No one else seems to be having that issue. But I know that things are changing and sites (and browsers) are more and more requiring secure content- HTTPS rather than HTTP- even if there's nothing to 'secure' on that site (IE, no credit card acceptance, no personal-info forms, etc.)

That's currently an issue with MCarterBrown, as they recently updated their software, and non-secure links and images  aren't displayed. So anything I post or have posted over there, no longer shows up, and links to my sites are sidetracked with a "possible malicious site" warning.

My sites are secure, but it's an issue with my host has me set up with something like a "self signed" security certificate, and I need to get them to swap it over to a properly verified one. I have the contact info here somewhere, I just haven't had the time to sit down and wait two freakin' hours on hold for a tech to help me. (Which is what it took the last time I needed help.)

I'll get it sorted. And no guarantees that's your issue.

Doc.