May 15th, 2018, 7:44 pm #11

Antknot wrote:Doc,  if tapatalk croaks, will you lose your description of the rebuilds? I'd document on projects page where you can back it up. Add notices to this as project pages get updated.
-Technically yes, if Tapatalk closes down, we'd lose everything. Unless they have an option, as some sites have done over the years, of offering downloads of certain content.

But back in the Network 54 days, that's why I started the Projects Pages in the first place- if N54 died, I had nearly a decade of "build blog" type posts, which for me all kind of started back when I got the horizontal mill in '09. There were quite a few posts I'd put up of projects like that, that would be lost entirely if the board ever disappeared, but also were not easily found unless you knew specifically what you were looking for.

So a couple years ago, I started combing the archives (with a little help from you Guilders to remind me of projects I may have forgotten) and slowly transferring them over to properly organized individual pages on docsmachine.com where they could be easily found, read and referenced.

N54 never had in-forum photo hosting, so all my pictures were already hosted on docsmachine- nothing had to be reposted or moved.

The actual text in some cases didn't make the swap, though, but that was because the build was part of a 'card dump' post or a "what happened this weekend" post, or I made a single build page out of three or four Guild posts that each only had one or two 'teaser' photos.

Doc.

May 15th, 2018, 8:32 pm #12

NP.  Unless someone gets in and starts spreading cooties, we will cope.

The project du jour (hell, it may be several months) is gutting DH's upstairs at the shop.  Landlord finally put the kibosh on sublets, so we had to tell the music studio upstairs we were no longer allowed to have them there.  They left amiably, but we will have to completely gut and overhaul the 'improvements' they made to the unit, including ripping out the illicit tap they ran to the building main electrical.  Having a Wile E. Coyote moment here.  Still, once we pull up the destroyed flooring, knock out all the partitions insulated with itchy fiberglas pink crap, redo the craptastic paint job, and possibly have the landlord redo the subfloor (which is suspiciously bouncy in a couple of spots), we can turn it into a pretty nice conference room/ teaching center.  And a great place for our Friday Night Firefights.

May 16th, 2018, 8:17 am #13

I like option 1 and the latter part of 3, as time allows of course.

May 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm #14

I like the project pages, maybe with individual forum posts linking to the pages for discussion?

Ayle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm #15

HTTP sites embedded in HTTPS sites are kinda like "crossing the streams". HTTP content is generally not viewable/accessable/playable but it usually is anoyable for some strange reason.

Self Signed certs are generally not "acknowledged" by many sites since, as the name implies, created by the site/end user.  This means they can be spoofed "easier" or the trust is not a real trust.  Purchasing a signed certificate from a trusted CA (Certificate Authority) Root Provider like Network Solutions, Symantec, GoDaddy is all but required in today's world.  Wikipedia for a list.

Only thing about signed certificates they are locked to your domain name.  So www.the-whiteboard.com is different than www.docsmachine.com even though they are both hosted on the same machine so you would need two certs one of each site.

Usually once you get the certs adding them to your site is either done by host provider or if you have an admin screen just putting the cert where they point you to is fairly painless.  Usually, maybe, sorta, only on days that don't end in y.

Steampunkhawk

May 16th, 2018, 6:35 pm #16

Oh and I like the projects page with maybe some details in the forum.

May 26th, 2018, 5:29 am #17

Just say NO! to long hold times - and it's rather simple.  Make them set up a few of the techs to never answer the phone... 

You send an e-mail with the basic problem description and your contact info, and get an Autoresponder "You're third in line, you'll get a callback in about 20 minutes." Then you go about your business and keep the phone close enough to grab.  And they get a chance to pre-research your problem or poke around and see if it's reproducible before calling back - The call might be "Okay, we found and fixed the problem - try it now..."