Project Wonderful is closing down...

July 11th, 2018, 7:52 pm #11

I wouldn't mind if you ran a small ad there, as long as you host the banner and don't allow any code to be added, just a link.
That should make it visible even through the most paranoid adblocker, and since you would be vetting them for suitablility and probably relevancy, I expect they'd be worth a bit more for the advertiser.  
How many page views do you get on average for a week?

July 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm #12

If I send you $500 will you put up "FUCK YOU *ALL* -- EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU" in huge block letters for a week?     Doesn't actually have to link to anything or go anywhere.

I'll throw in an extra $10 if you make it blink.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

July 11th, 2018, 11:27 pm #13

... You got something against my comic readers? 😋

Doc.

July 11th, 2018, 11:38 pm #14

*presses the 'make popcorn' button, and after a few minutes, a Johnny-Five-esque contraption rolls into the room with a 55 gallon drum full of the stuff*

July 11th, 2018, 11:49 pm #15

DocsMachine wrote: ... You got something against my comic readers? 😋

Doc.
No it's more my general opinion of obnoxious banner ads.   Some sites that shall remain nameless are covered in so much advertising that one cannot scroll over something without multiple popups,  and if you linger more than six seconds you have screen dimming fly-ins cover the main content every 8 seconds while you try to scroll without triggering something.

Project Wonderful tried to keep things sane and focused.  It's sad to see them go.   I discovered quite a bit of internet-coolness through them.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

July 12th, 2018, 12:03 am #16

Snowtroll wrote:I wouldn't mind if you ran a small ad there, as long as you host the banner and don't allow any code to be added, just a link.
That should make it visible even through the most paranoid adblocker, and since you would be vetting them for suitablility and probably relevancy, I expect they'd be worth a bit more for the advertiser.  
How many page views do you get on average for a week?
-On the "no code", that was one of the supposed benefits to Project Wonderful. There's no way for the ad to inject a "code", since everything was filtered through their server. It was an image and a link, that's it.

Having the image self-hosted is, however, a benefit I hadn't thought about. Not sure it's "worth" all that much, but yeah, if the image is basically hosted in the same place as the comic, it'd be tough to block one and not the other. But as I said, that kind of thing add yet more workload on me, having to manually change- and occasionally vet- ads and links and such. I'm not at all sure I have time for it.

On traffic, that's been a point of discussion. Up until today, I had three metrics: Project Wonderful, that did their own page-view tracking so that potential buyers can see how well various hosts were doing (and which guys like me used as an informal way to gauge how well other comics were doing by comparison 😁 ) my add-on "ExtremeTracking" app, and of course my host servers' traffic data.

The problem is, none of them agreed with each other. Like, at all.

PW, for example, listed "page views" and "unique visitors". By their specs, I averaged about 3.2K "uniques" (supposedly individual viewers) with around 16K "views". Which, if true, means that every single day, each and every reader viewed not just that day's new strip, but at least 5 to 10 additional strips.

Part of that can of course be explained that there's always somebody doing a bit of an archive dive, and sits down to read 20, 50 or 100+ strips. Sure, that's to be expected. But every single day? For the past five to ten years? You'd also assume that that "archive dive" number would have gone up with the recent addition of the new "quick link" buttons- and there was indeed a brief bump, but it went right back to the same level after a few days.

Then, the ExtremeTracking numbers puts the "daily visitors" at around 7.5K per day, but doesn't have any differentiation between "daily views" or "uniques".

And finally, the server stats. Which aren't really meant for easy human understanding, they're mainly used for... I'm not sure, the servers to allot bandwidth, or some such like that. And depending on how you read it- and assuming I'm even interpreting what I think I'm supposed to be reading properly- my daily uniques is closer to 16K/day, with "hits" in the range of three to ten times that.

In this case, however, "hits" I'm pretty sure is pure "number of times we fed out an individual file". And so you can get a dozen "hits" by viewing a given page once- the background image is one file, the comic image is another file, the banner image is three files, the HTML is a separate file, the Patreon button is an image file, each "quick link" button is an image file, and so on. So I discount that one- at the moment, with all the separate images, one "page view" likely equals nearly fifty "hits".

The issue, too, with the 3rd-party sources like PW and ET, is they are commonly and routinely stopped by ad-blockers, which more and more people have these days.

So generally speaking, I tend to believe my server-stat "uniques" number most, which puts me at about 16K viewers per day. I'm sure that number could be off by thousands, either way- I'm told by any number of sources that even at the IT-professional level, traffic stats are and always have been at least part guesswork and part chicken-entrails fortunetelling. 😁

Doc.

July 12th, 2018, 1:37 am #17

I probably pad your page view count as tracked by PW. I visit once per day to see the comic, then probably another 10 times to get to the forum. (I haven't bothered saving a bookmark for it. I use the link from the comic page.) So for one "unique" (or two - I read at work and at home) you're probably getting ten or more page views.

I turn off my ad blocker for most sites I visit regularly, although in a few cases I turn it back on if the ads get too intrusive. It's off for TWB, but I turned it back on for Tapatalk because the video in some of the popup ads was really slowing things down a while back.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 12th, 2018, 2:01 am #18

My visitor profile is one unique visit per 24 hours to read the comic,  and a dozen or more forum visits a day.

I would really think there are more than 16,000 unique hits per day visiting this site.    When I started learning about web-traffic and how to monetize it,  I realized that the people higher up the food-chain could manipulate the data so they take in the revenue,  then report lower numbers to  lower tiers...  Most of the money is concentrated in the hands of a few and folks like us get a trickle...  because the reported numbers are esoteric and require a priest, a rabbi and an engineer to understand.

And the damning part is,  according to what I've learned it doesn't have to be this way... except because money.

July 12th, 2018, 2:07 am #19

I make no money off of Tapatalk ads. The old Network 54 forum we paid nearly $100 a year to keep it ad-free, but that account wasn't "rolled over" with the Tapatalk switchover.

The current ads- which I have to admit I don't see, as I use an adblocker myself- basically pay for the service. I haven't had the time to go through the 4,300 menus I have to find out how I can sign up for a paid, no-ads account, but if you guys want to block 'em, feel free, no skin off my nose. 😁

Doc.

July 12th, 2018, 2:30 am #20

Lord [Redacted] wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 2:01 am
I would really think there are more than 16,000 unique hits per day visiting this site.    When I started learning about web-traffic and how to monetize it,  I realized that the people higher up the food-chain could manipulate the data so they take in the revenue,  then report lower numbers to  lower tiers...
-I'd like to think I get more viewers as well, but I don't think it's true. 😁 I'm not even sure the 16K figure from my own server stats is entirely true. Much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I'd wager a guess- and that's all it is, a guess- that TWB sees somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K to 12K individual readers on average.

And there's no reason at all it couldn't be as low as 4K or as high as 20K+

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have even just 200 readers. (I did, in fact, probably have less than 200 readers for the first few years. 😁 ) And 10K readers is amazing, I'm still, to this day, kind of humbled to find that kind of a market. (There's literally thousands of comics out there that don't have a fraction of my traffic, no matter what my actual numbers are.)

As for my numbers being manipulated... well, probably not. Project Wonderful, point in fact, would likely have stood to lose money by underreporting my traffic- after all, the more traffic a site is reported to have, the more valuable their banner ads become. And they get paid a percentage of the total "bid"- the higher the daily 'bid', the more PW got paid. For them, I think it really was as simple as their banner being stopped by ad-blockers and Ghostery and such.

Extremetracking makes no money at all off of me or my account, regardless of what numbers they show. (They get paid by showing ads on the stat display site, or having people upgrade to the "pro" subscription software, that shows a lot more detail.) There's no reason at all for them to be underreporting my stats as well.

And of course my raw server stats are just that- raw data. Sure, they could be manipulating those as well, but again, to what end? I'm not charged by bandwidth used, or the number of hits, or even how much storage I use. I'd pay the same whether I was getting 5 readers a day or 50,000.

Doc.