Problem with the skit "Crunchy Frog".

Problem with the skit "Crunchy Frog".

September 21st, 2017, 6:25 pm #1

Something's been bothering me for a long time about the "Crunchy Frog" skit. They take pride that it isn't a FAKE frog, some candy that's SHAPED like a frog but isn't a frog. "MOCK frog!?! We use NO artificial additives or preservatives of ANY kind!" However, their "Ram's Bladder Cup" contains MSG!
"Oh yes it does, on the bottom of the box, after monosodium glutamate."
They don't consider MSG as either?

September 21st, 2017, 6:31 pm #2

Are you seriously looking for internal consistency in a Monty Python sketch?

All snarking aside, though, I always saw the hypocrisy as part of the joke.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

September 21st, 2017, 7:33 pm #3

Something's been bothering me for a long time about the "Crunchy Frog" skit. They take pride that it isn't a FAKE frog, some candy that's SHAPED like a frog but isn't a frog. "MOCK frog!?! We use NO artificial additives or preservatives of ANY kind!" However, their "Ram's Bladder Cup" contains MSG!
... You take issue with "The Four Yorkshiremen" when one of them says he lived with 150 siblings in a shoebox on the middle of the road.

Or that another said his father would kill them every night and dance about on his grave singing 'Hallelujah'?

I suppose you noticed that blancmanges can't actually play tennis? Or that swallows can't, actually, carry coconuts, even if two of them work together like, with a bit of vine in between them?

Doc.

September 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm #4

It was originally extracted from seaweed, but is now commercially produced by fermentation of sugars or starch.

September 21st, 2017, 8:47 pm #5

...wait until she learns how Monty Python predicted Operation Desert Storm.

1) "Crunchy Frog": "...dew-picked, and flown from IRAQ..."

2) The man who can't pronounce "c", mentions in his list of "k" words "Kuwait".

3) "And that's why 9 out of 10 small countries choose American Defense!"

>
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 21st, 2017, 9:05 pm #6

... You take issue with "The Four Yorkshiremen" when one of them says he lived with 150 siblings in a shoebox on the middle of the road.

Or that another said his father would kill them every night and dance about on his grave singing 'Hallelujah'?

I suppose you noticed that blancmanges can't actually play tennis? Or that swallows can't, actually, carry coconuts, even if two of them work together like, with a bit of vine in between them?

Doc.
...African or European?

(Come on, you knew someone would...

September 21st, 2017, 10:44 pm #7

Are you seriously looking for internal consistency in a Monty Python sketch?

All snarking aside, though, I always saw the hypocrisy as part of the joke.
The rifles used by the Soviet firing squad in the cycle tourist sketch were correct. (SKS, predecessor to
the AK47.)

Of course they're also dirt cheap on the surplus market, so they might have just been what the studio had in the prop room.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 22nd, 2017, 3:05 am #8

Doc.
The reminisces of the Yorkshiremen being exaggerated IS the point, so they got ridiculous in stages until those 2 went way over-the-top. (I thought the final topper ended pretty humorously because I didn't think even a wild exaggeration would go that far.)

The blancmange that played Tennis was from the planet Skyron in the Andromeda Galaxy. Perhaps there's tennis-playing, human-eating blancmanges there. I've seen speculative discussions more ridiculous than whether African swallows could carry coconuts whether gripped by the husk or in tandem, whether or not they're non-migratory. Those were all where the skit was going. I thought the MSG thing was a script error. Although I like DannyBeans' suggestion that they were hypocrites or deliberately inconsistent (per the script, but thinking they were consistent) and clueless about it.

I'm leery of calling something "natural" just because small amounts could potentially be found in nature. I don't think of High Fructose Corn Syrup as natural even if they extract it from corn. You wouldn't just encounter a bunch of it in the wild. I think that's more advertising/creative misrepresentation than being correct. (Even if they DID get the MSG from processing seaweed.)

(To me, it's a little like YET ANOTHER writer claiming humans use 10% of their brains-and that from the mouth of someone who knows medicine, psychology or biology. From someone we know is a liar or a fool, I'm ok with the claim because I know how far to trust them.)

September 22nd, 2017, 3:37 am #9

It's a gag about the police investigating a candy manufacturer that makes terrible candies. It's not necessarily supposed to have perfect internal logic! One of their candies has spring-loaded spikes that are supposed to pop out and stab the consumer! That's, like, not even remotely logical, and can't really be parsed logically.

I will guarantee you none of the troupe was sitting around saying "Okay, in this skit with the pepperpot saying she can't tell this butter substitute from a dead crab, how are we going to convince the audience that he both actually tasted the crab, and that crabs are normally used as a spread on your morning toast?"

No, they sat there and said "You know what would be funny? You know those commercials where the housewife can't tell the difference between real butter and margerine? How about we take that and make the other thing completely stupid, like a marmot or a hedgehog, or a dead crab or something?" To which the others said "You know, I think you've got something there!"

So while they were sitting around writing the Crunchy Frog sketch, I can guarantee you that none of them piped up and said "I know that 'after monosodium glutemate' line is pretty good, but we can't use it, since the character specifically stated they 'don't use any artificial ingredients'."

No, what happened is (probably) they were brainstorming things that could be put into candies, but shouldn't- sheep intenstines, pig swill, stainless steel bolts, bird vomit, etc.- and one of them came up with the line "covered in lark's vomit". The rest thought that was pretty good, but had to elicit a reaction from the constable, but a reaction that could just as quickly dismissed.

Hence, the "don't say nothin' about lark's vomit on the box" sequence, whereupon they could then move on to the other candies.

Rule of Funny, in other words.

Doc.

September 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am #10

...saying it's after MSG might be meant to indicate "yes--but only a BIT".