Possible Doc sighting

December 5th, 2017, 9:35 am #1

December 5th, 2017, 11:01 am #2

... I wouldn't own a Mac if you gave it to me.

Doc.

December 5th, 2017, 4:06 pm #3

nonlinear tankinis

December 5th, 2017, 4:26 pm #4

... I wouldn't own a Mac if you gave it to me.

Doc.
And I still don't like it. But I have to use it for work. (I'm hoping for a true Linux machine when my current laptop hits the upgrade cycle.)

December 5th, 2017, 5:02 pm #5

nonlinear tankinis
For someone who's invested the time and sweat to learn the ins and outs of Windows, abandoning all that to learn to use a system that was never meant to be understood at that level of detail is a big hurdle.

Macs are for people who don't want to learn how a computer works.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

December 5th, 2017, 7:39 pm #6

And even then it is about 90% the same as the Windows frontend. The terminal works like a version of Unix/Linux (because it's based on NetBSD Unix). As a gamer, I'm stuck with Windows but honestly I prefer a lot of the OS oriented aspects of macOS to Windows, particularly where stability & security are concerned.

December 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm #7

I prefer the inner workings of MacOS also, but buying an Apple computer for the purpose of tinkering with it is like buying a car with the hood riveted shut.

I bit the bullet and bought a Mac Mini 8 or 9 years ago so I could use a particular writing application that wasn't available for Windows at the time, and shortly after that I seriously considered developing iPhone apps. But if not for those two things I wouldn't have bothered. If I need a bulletproof OS there are some very good Linux distributions. I'm currently using CentOS and it's been solid as a rock.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

December 6th, 2017, 1:26 am #8

For someone who's invested the time and sweat to learn the ins and outs of Windows, abandoning all that to learn to use a system that was never meant to be understood at that level of detail is a big hurdle.

Macs are for people who don't want to learn how a computer works.
I'm not necessarily a power user, just someone who 'knows the way around the place'.

I've even built a few PCs over the years, and had owned a couple different Amigas before that (at the dawn of the Internet - my first browser was a port of Mosaic written for AmigaOS), and further back, my first computer was the good ol' C64.

Part of the reason I left the PC world behind as far as my home setup goes, is the direction Windows was headed (jumped ship when Vista was released - didn't care for it compared to XP, although Windows 7 is a pretty decent successor), and which was only further validated with Win10 (I've tried it, helped someone set up a laptop with it on it - would rather have a full batch of Doc's spicy garlic meatballs than use that POS on a daily basis).

Yes, there was a fair bit of a learning curve in switching over from XP to OSX (now macOS), but once past that, it's really not that bad.

December 6th, 2017, 4:00 am #9

nonlinear tankinis
Mac is fine for very specific things... like dual booting and running Windows so you can use things like drivers for common, and not so common hardware. Same with linux, which tries to hide too much and make things too complicated, so the in crowd can feel superior about... something.

(I have at least 2 linux machines here, they were great as netbooks, for about 3 months until the pc world caught up with cheap SSDs)
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

December 6th, 2017, 2:46 pm #10

I prefer the inner workings of MacOS also, but buying an Apple computer for the purpose of tinkering with it is like buying a car with the hood riveted shut.

I bit the bullet and bought a Mac Mini 8 or 9 years ago so I could use a particular writing application that wasn't available for Windows at the time, and shortly after that I seriously considered developing iPhone apps. But if not for those two things I wouldn't have bothered. If I need a bulletproof OS there are some very good Linux distributions. I'm currently using CentOS and it's been solid as a rock.
For first-time Linux users, I highly suggest Mint with Cinnamon desktop, as it is most similar to the user interface you are already used to, but without the intermittent crashing due to Windows Updater trying to recursively install something already installed.

It's a really solid Distro, all said and done. It's Ubuntu-Like, meaning anything that runs on Ubuntu will run on Mint, which means Steam and all of the SteamOS compatible games on Steam. And it is surprisingly bulletproof (or at least highly bullet-resistant).

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the 'ultimate' or 'best' Distro, but I will say it is a solid one, and I would call it the most 'new to linux friendly' distro that I've run across.

For those who want to dip their toes in, you can always partition off a few gigs and dual-boot it to see how you like it. And if you don't like it, wipe the partition.