plastic guns

plastic guns

WolfFan
WolfFan

August 1st, 2012, 1:20 am #1

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/30 ... ult_rifle/>
No, they're not joking. Someone made the main business parts of an AR-15 out of plastic, using a 3-D printer, and IT WORKED! (For a dozen rounds, anyway.)

Hans
Hans

August 1st, 2012, 1:34 am #2

Haven't seen him here in a while, but Have Blue was a regular around here for quite a while.
Nice guy, and smart as hell too. Miss having him around.

-Hans

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

August 1st, 2012, 4:30 am #3

Next/Time

Curt
Curt

August 1st, 2012, 12:32 pm #4

Haven't seen him here in a while, but Have Blue was a regular around here for quite a while.
Nice guy, and smart as hell too. Miss having him around.

-Hans
the same "Have Blue"? I saw that and also thought of the guildie but bear in mind that was the nonsense name for the 117 project, well publicized after Ben Rich's book (which I cannot recommend strongly enough)

-Curt

manike
manike

August 1st, 2012, 1:17 pm #5

I believe he even posted it on here, or maybe it was MCB, when he originally did it.

Tenacious221
Tenacious221

August 1st, 2012, 6:11 pm #6

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/30 ... ult_rifle/>
No, they're not joking. Someone made the main business parts of an AR-15 out of plastic, using a 3-D printer, and IT WORKED! (For a dozen rounds, anyway.)
He made the reciever on the machine.

That part just holds the rest of the parts together, it doesn't actually have any affect on the operating bits when you fire.

-Ten

tmk
tmk

August 1st, 2012, 7:03 pm #7

...it's the lower receiver that he fabricated; the lower receiver is the part with the stamped- or machined-in serial number that has to be bought from a licensed firearms dealer and recorded as such in order to be legal. All the other parts can be obtained fairly easily and without traceable documentation.

Essentially, for legal purposes the lower receiver =is= the gun.

bunker_o_matic
bunker_o_matic

August 1st, 2012, 7:53 pm #8

"tmk
Posted Aug 1, 2012 11:03 AM

...it's the lower receiver that he fabricated; the lower receiver is the part with the stamped- or machined-in serial number that has to be bought from a licensed firearms dealer and recorded as such in order to be legal. All the other parts can be obtained fairly easily and without traceable documentation.

Essentially, for legal purposes the lower receiver =is= the gun."

A firearm needs a serial number in order to be transfered. It is perfectly legal to build your own firearm without a serial number so long as you did not intend to transfer it when it was built. If you later change your mind you can add a serial number and then transfer it. It does not need to be bought from a dealer in order to be legal if you made it yourself.

You are correct in that the lower is the "gun"

Hypothetical question ahead: I ask this question though, what happens when ATF changes it's mind about where they want the serial number. For example if they had first said that the serial number had to be on the uppers, then later changed their mind and decreed that the serial had to be on the lower...

WolfWings
WolfWings

August 1st, 2012, 11:42 pm #9

The 'gun' in the case of an M16 for instance is the upper, not lower, receiver.

But on the AR15, it's the lower.

So far they haven't specified either way where the serial number has to be, just that it has to have one and that part is the critical 'tracked' component of a gun.

bunker_o_matic
bunker_o_matic

August 2nd, 2012, 12:50 am #10

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-atf- ... is-who-can

I remember my m16 only having a serial number on the lower. If you look around you can find stripped lowers which are also machine guns and need a stamp to transfer them. I've never heard of an upper being serialed.