paintball hit on midair

July 18th, 2018, 9:27 pm #1

July 18th, 2018, 9:54 pm #2

That's admittedly really cool- and clear!- but I'm kind of having a hard time wrapping my head around why it looks like the ball is coming from the side of the sight.

The camera appears to be mounted to the player's helmet, well above the sight-- so what we see through the sight can't be from that POV. There doesn't appear to be another camera affixed to the rail behind the scope, but a small sport camera could be hidden back there.

But even if it was, why is the ball coming in from the left? The sight appears to be mounted to the top of the gun, and he doesn't appear to be holding it "gangsta" style...

What am I missing?

Doc.

July 19th, 2018, 12:10 am #3

The red paintball first appears high and to the left of the sight picture, so unless he's using one of Doc's screwy barrels, the sight picture isn't what the shooter sees. Looking back thru the 'scope from the barrel end, it appears to have no magnification (the eyepiece 'hole' looks to be full size when viewed backwards; it should be noticeably shrunken if the 'scope had 'gain',) yet the video shot thru the 'scope is definitely magnified.

The image of the actual 'scope in the video isn't jittering, so the camera that captured the 'splat' has to be mounted on the same frame as the 'scope, and concentric with the 'scope (but not built into the 'scope,) and not mounted on the shooter's head or chest or anywhere else off-marker. The camera that's looking back doesn't appear in the sight picture, so the camera that captured the video is probably mounted on another marker, held by an adjacent player, to the right of the shooter. But he'd be standing to the right of the other shooter, out in the open, and unless he's Bandit, (hiding behind himself,) he'd be splatted....

Yeah, it looks like Doc's right - there's something just a little bit odd here.
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

July 19th, 2018, 12:28 am #4

I also have to ask, are people really that narcissistic these days? I don't want ti to sound that much of a pejorative, but even if we take it at face value, that guy has at least three cameras going; One obviously on his helmet, one looking forward through the scope, one looking backward at the shooter.

I mean, getting video is cool and all, but really? Unless one has a popular for-pay YouTube channel or something, do people really need to see themselves play from six different angles?

As for the angle of the shot, the only way I can reconcile it is the guy has a camera with a separate sight mounded on the passenger side of his barrel, near the muzzle- actually two, one showing the sight- which is just there for looks- and the other facing back at the shooter.

Years ago we used to make fun of the guys going out on the field with $1,500 worth of gun, tank and power loader. Now they're hitting the field with that AND another thousand in GoPros. 😁

Doc.

July 20th, 2018, 3:00 am #5

The three camera set up seemed to have been popularized by people using airsoft snipers/scenario players on larger channels (Novritsch and Jet Desert Fox).

The helmet view is the most common, the scope cam is to show the long range sniper shots a lot of those guys make, and the reverse gun mounted cam is to show how they are moving through urban terrain/woods/etc. I felt as you did at first, but if you're shooting really long range stuff (as this gent with the first strikes seems to be doing), it tells a better story.
Manchester Half Cock'D
'Beer and Bruises mostly'

July 20th, 2018, 6:07 am #6

My guess is there's a camera attached right near the tip of the barrel, judging by how close the ball shoots by on the left, if there was helmet-cam footage included we might see it!

August 1st, 2018, 9:11 pm #7

Little late to the story here - 3 cam setup, the "zoom" cam is rail-mounted to the right of the barrel (why the shots come from the left side) adjacent the rear-view camera which is mounted above. The reticle/scope is just an overlay graphic edited in post.

Personally, I would have swapped them so the zoom cam is centered and the rear-view is on the left side, but IIRC the zoom was a Shot Trak (bulky) and rear was a Runcam (lays flat on the rail). That would have rotated his rear-view 90° (portrait), and the taller Shot Track may have blocked the view through his real optic.

I'm running into a similar issue where I can't mount my zoom-cam on top because it blocks my scope, to the side is awkward, below is occupied with a bipod, and I'd rather not hang it off a barrel-clamp and mess with my zero....

August 1st, 2018, 10:19 pm #8

freedummy wrote: The reticle/scope is just an overlay graphic edited in post.
A-ha. I thought that scope view didn't look quite right.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

August 2nd, 2018, 7:02 pm #9

Now that is cool.
I've seen paintball's hit in mid air at EMR's Castle Conquest but I've never seen it done intentionally or filmed.

August 5th, 2018, 7:42 am #10

Nice to see you here FreeD, and thanks for the explanation. It's a cool video, but sometimes our pedantry overwhelms. 😋

Doc.