OT: Rest in peace Harry Harrison

OT: Rest in peace Harry Harrison

Lee
Lee

August 29th, 2012, 4:16 pm #1

Just found out that Harry died Aug 15th and it came as a bit of a shock. Not the fact that he died, he was in poor health for the last few years, but the almost media silence. Anyway, I figured there might just be a few people here that grew up with his books who would like to know.

Mattrufus
Mattrufus

August 30th, 2012, 2:58 am #2

I was not aware of his passing on. I too will miss him. His books have given me much enjoyment.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

August 30th, 2012, 7:18 am #3

Have to dig out my Stainless Steel Rat series, check which ones I'm missing(I think there was a hole in my collection), order those, then sit down and read the rest this weekend.

What better way to remember an excellent author than to read his works?
(I prefer the Stainless Steel Rat. Others may like Deathworld or maybe Bill, the Galactic Hero)

Retromash
Retromash

August 30th, 2012, 8:13 am #4

All three!

And it's Bil. Only officers can get two l's.

Ari
Ari

August 30th, 2012, 4:30 pm #5

Just found out that Harry died Aug 15th and it came as a bit of a shock. Not the fact that he died, he was in poor health for the last few years, but the almost media silence. Anyway, I figured there might just be a few people here that grew up with his books who would like to know.

At first, I thought you were talking about the DJ nt

Mike aka Mongo
Mike aka Mongo

August 31st, 2012, 1:06 pm #6

I was not aware of his passing on. I too will miss him. His books have given me much enjoyment.
In college, Slippery Jim Digriz was an Idol.
If I recall correctly, I had a "Stainless Steel Rat lives" bumper sticker that I got from some mail order company at the time out of Starlog.
It told me who the science fiction readers were by getting commentary in the parkinglot.

That series taught me to be a honorable person.

He will be missed.

Donkey
Donkey

September 1st, 2012, 2:22 pm #7

I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Lee
Lee

September 2nd, 2012, 9:20 pm #8

Have to dig out my Stainless Steel Rat series, check which ones I'm missing(I think there was a hole in my collection), order those, then sit down and read the rest this weekend.

(I prefer the Stainless Steel Rat. Others may like Deathworld or maybe Bill, the Galactic Hero)
Harry wrote a trilogy you might be interested in.

The Hammer and The Cross is about the viking raiders but the twist is that in this story they didn't stop at just looting but booted Christianity out of Europe.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

September 3rd, 2012, 1:51 pm #9

I'm looking for cheap options to buy the missing books in my collection already...

DaveP.
DaveP.

September 3rd, 2012, 10:04 pm #10

Seriously cool satire. If you haven't found it yet, you're missing out.