OT: Need an antivirus program. Anything you guys can suggest?

OT: Need an antivirus program. Anything you guys can suggest?

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

October 22nd, 2011, 2:29 am #1

I got sick of Norton telling me the demo that came with my laptop has expired, so I uninstalled it. Now I need something to replace it, anything you guys can point me to? It's windows 7.

Thanks

Brandon_ha

Eric
Eric

October 22nd, 2011, 4:52 am #2

Has a free version that does a good job. Good enough in fact for me to purchase it for the rest of its features.

AdmiralSenn
AdmiralSenn

October 22nd, 2011, 4:59 am #3

I got sick of Norton telling me the demo that came with my laptop has expired, so I uninstalled it. Now I need something to replace it, anything you guys can point me to? It's windows 7.

Thanks

Brandon_ha
Both free, the combo is pretty effective. Combined with Kaspersky's cleanup tool if something slips by and you're practically bulletproof unless you do something really dumb.

Wojtek
Wojtek

October 22nd, 2011, 11:03 am #4

Thanks

Brandon_ha
From the free ones, only ones that are worth paying any attention to are Avast, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

MS Essentials is simple, pretty good (using the same engine as the corporate Forefront antivirus), and doesn't mess up with the system. It checks for genuine Windows, but considering it's a laptop, and it had 30-day Norton, it's rpobably all right.
AVG is pretty slow, and its web filter (which you'd have to disable during installation, can't afterwards) breaks up some web sites. And, is known to have problems (crashes, bluescreens) on some computers. But some prefer it for more customizability.
Avast is pretty fast, and pretty good, just a bit annoying. Like AVG, some computers "don't like it".
Don't use Avira. It was great, but half a year ago it bundled spyware with the fre version; don't know if after the outrage they canceled the thing, but IMO they've totally destroyed any credibility as a security company. One needs to trust his antivirus, right?

From the paid-for ones, F-Secure and ESET NOD32/ESET Smart Security are very good, and affordable. NEVER purchase McAfee, Symantec/Norton, or Trend Micro (Titanium/OfficeScan). They do more harm than good.

Otherwise, hit http://av-comparatives.org/ for test reports and references, and choose yourself?

Disclaimer: Personally, after the Avira idiocy I've purchased a 3-computer pack of ESET Smart Security, and I consider it money good spent.

Regards,
Wojtek

Dan
Dan

October 22nd, 2011, 1:29 pm #5

I've been running Avast on 3 machines for probably 4 years. No problems until recently, when my laptop got really sick. I finally had to take it to a computer shop where they found nearly 100 infected files.
The tech there told me about Microsoft Security Essentials. He out it on the laptop and it cleaned up all the problems. I out it on my other two machines and it found infected files om both.
As much as I hate microsoft, I have to give them the nod on this one

THAT guy
THAT guy

October 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm #6

Both free, the combo is pretty effective. Combined with Kaspersky's cleanup tool if something slips by and you're practically bulletproof unless you do something really dumb.
Never ever have multiple antivirus programs INSTALLED on your computer. One will always flag the other. If any action is automated the running program will delete or isolate essential files of the other. Over time (hour, day, month) they will start causing instabilities.

Norton has become obsolete and you will notice a MASSIVE performance gain just removing it and going with one of the other two that have been proposed. AVG doesn't tax your system, but isn't quite as effective as other options.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and has proven to be superior to even pay services for all but targeted attacks. The reason is because well over two thirds of issues stem from Microsoft's own operating system. MSE tends to more fix 'loopholes' then patch problems.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

October 22nd, 2011, 9:47 pm #7

Thanks

Brandon_ha
The free works fine, the full version costs a lil, but 14month licensing and it does not impact system performance, is good.

AVG is fine too, but it has popups and tends to be annoying to me.

attic rat
attic rat

October 22nd, 2011, 10:21 pm #8

Thanks

Brandon_ha
The others have pretty well covered it, but a local computer repair place here swears that Kaspersky Antivirus is the best of the "Pay for it" versions.

Generally, you'll need one good antivirus program and at least one anti malware program like MalwareBytes. The free ComboFix utility from BleepingComputers is a good removal tool for malware infections too.

I've used free AVG for years, but I recently installed it on my sisters computer and now she's getting AVG pop-ups that she says are telling her that her 30-day trial license is going to expire.

I didn't install the 30-day trial version, so all I know is what she told me over the phone... She's one of those who will listen carefully and then repeat what you've told her, except she'll have got everything wrong and will be angry if corrected...

There are customers like that. Imagine being related to one.

BFD Zayden
BFD Zayden

October 23rd, 2011, 4:00 am #9

Thanks

Brandon_ha
I've used both AVG and Avast. Been using Avast on the last two computers I've had with almost no problems.

-Zayden (Yeah.. the same one in star pirates).

Greebo
Greebo

October 23rd, 2011, 1:42 pm #10

Thanks

Brandon_ha
The full version of AVG is available in the UK for £5.95 for 2 computers for one year:

http://www.ebuyer.com/204531-avg-intern ... g063-uk-rb

I've been using it myself for a couple of years and have sold quite a few to my customers...

I'm an AVG UK authorized reseller, and this is cheaper than I can but it from AVG!

What you get is a memory stick with AVG 9 Internet Security and 2 Gig of free space (you can't get rid of the AVG though) and a license activation number that will activate the current (2012) version of AVG.

So all you do is download AVG Internet Security 2012 and use the code from the packaging and you're good to go - oh and do as I do, and buy a couple at a time - you never know if the offer is going to be on next year

Cheers,

Greebo

P.S. and if you have more than 2 computers, do yourself a favor and put a DIFFERENT antivirus on one of the others... that way if something manages to get through your main AV, you have a chance that you'll still have a machine that you can use to look for a cure