OT: AR15 buffer retainer

OT: AR15 buffer retainer

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

March 20th, 2011, 3:05 am #1

Ok I know that between everyone here the guild has enough AR15's to outfit a small army.

I recently acquired one second hand, and it looks as if the previous owner has not maintained it to any real degree. It is missing the buffer retainer, the buffer retainer spring, the takedown pin detent and the takedown pin detent spring. Beause the retainer is missing, when the upper and lower are seperated the buffer slams ino the hammer, this has left some small gouges in the face of the buffer, but there is no apparent dammage on the hammer.

The history I got from the previous owner was that it has not been fired in the 15 years they had owned it, which it spent in a basement. In thats time I imagine it was not cleaned or lubricated, before that it belonged to another person, how they cared for it I dont know.

I'm currently looking into ordering the missing pieces, however I was wondering if it will still operate without these parts? Also what else should I look for when dealing with a second hand firearm. Is there any particular area I should pay attention to?

Brandon_ha

Krazny13
Krazny13

March 20th, 2011, 3:29 am #2

Can it operate? yes.

Should you operate it without them? No.

If those parts are missing, who knows what el;se is messed up or missing. I'd be leery about shooting it without tearing down and going over it carefully.
As for the condition, inspect it carefully. Guns can be stored that long without too much fuss IF they were either maintained, or prepped before storage.

I'd probably clean the barrel very well, maybe have the headspace checked. And clean it very, very well. Lube it with some Slip 2000 EWL when done.

For parts, hit up Bravo Company. They'll have what you need. Also may want to pick up a new extractor, a couple of firing pins, some firing pin retaining pins, and one of the gunfighter charging handles.

J. Cook
J. Cook

March 20th, 2011, 7:25 am #3

When you order the springs and the other small parts, you might want to order an extra set- the parts you mentioned are tiny tiny tiny, and will fly the first chance they get.

And yes, you wanna keep it lubed- contrary to popular belief, the AR15 does require lubrication.

Aaron (aka)
Aaron (aka)

March 20th, 2011, 2:14 pm #4

Ok I know that between everyone here the guild has enough AR15's to outfit a small army.

I recently acquired one second hand, and it looks as if the previous owner has not maintained it to any real degree. It is missing the buffer retainer, the buffer retainer spring, the takedown pin detent and the takedown pin detent spring. Beause the retainer is missing, when the upper and lower are seperated the buffer slams ino the hammer, this has left some small gouges in the face of the buffer, but there is no apparent dammage on the hammer.

The history I got from the previous owner was that it has not been fired in the 15 years they had owned it, which it spent in a basement. In thats time I imagine it was not cleaned or lubricated, before that it belonged to another person, how they cared for it I dont know.

I'm currently looking into ordering the missing pieces, however I was wondering if it will still operate without these parts? Also what else should I look for when dealing with a second hand firearm. Is there any particular area I should pay attention to?

Brandon_ha
If it sat for 15 years you may also want to replace the recoil spring and the hammer spring.

Bravo and Rainer are good places for parts.

Aaron

Armorer
Armorer

March 20th, 2011, 5:30 pm #5

Brandon_ha
naturally tactical

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

March 21st, 2011, 6:02 pm #6

Can it operate? yes.

Should you operate it without them? No.

If those parts are missing, who knows what el;se is messed up or missing. I'd be leery about shooting it without tearing down and going over it carefully.
As for the condition, inspect it carefully. Guns can be stored that long without too much fuss IF they were either maintained, or prepped before storage.

I'd probably clean the barrel very well, maybe have the headspace checked. And clean it very, very well. Lube it with some Slip 2000 EWL when done.

For parts, hit up Bravo Company. They'll have what you need. Also may want to pick up a new extractor, a couple of firing pins, some firing pin retaining pins, and one of the gunfighter charging handles.

I can hook you up with the parts from brownells.com for a bit of a discounted price. They have a set of excelent take down videos if you need help too.

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

March 21st, 2011, 11:02 pm #7

I think it will be much simpler for me to find a domestic retailer. Canadian import regulations are written in an obscure derivative form of legalese and the tablet that once translated it correctly to customs officers, police officers, CFOs and government officials was lost many moons ago.

Brandon_ha

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

March 22nd, 2011, 3:28 am #8

Or do they regulate all the parts up there? Springs and whatnot should be pretty easy to legally ship up.

Eith way, glad to help.