(ot) 44 million horsepower

(ot) 44 million horsepower

ydna
ydna

March 5th, 2011, 12:50 am #1

Kelvandor
Kelvandor

March 5th, 2011, 2:28 pm #2

The funny thing about the SRB's is that they are producing their maximum thrust right before burn-out; their thrust increases as they burn until right before they run out of fuel.

Weird what 30 years of amateur rocketry will stick into your head...

-Kel

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

March 5th, 2011, 10:01 pm #3

That is how their solids are designed, or just based on how much thrust is equated with how much surface area is exposed and burning?

Greebo
Greebo

March 6th, 2011, 12:03 am #4

The thrust of a solid rocket motor depends on several things including:

Fuel composition - changes in composition can increase or decrease thrust during the burn - this isn't used very often as it is easier (& safer) to control thrust using the other methods.

Fuel shape (Geometry) - e.g. an end-burning motor has a constant thrust, a core burning motor has an increasing thrust as the hole gets bigger and more fuel is exposed - and there are many different shapes with different thrust curves.

Nozzle size - you can also control the thrust by adjusting the nozzle size in flight (or having a designed wear rate which slowly opens the nozzle).

All the above also have a knock on effect on the pressure inside the motor which then influences the burn rate of the fuel and therefore the thrust.

In short, you can fine tune the design of the motor to provide the thrust curve you want

Cheers,

Greebo

P.S. I'm afraid mine are smaller than the SRBs, but just as much fun to play with...

Nohbody
Nohbody

March 6th, 2011, 4:38 pm #5

Just FYI, Road and Track magazine has an article on Endeavour's last mission. Available online and in their April edition of the dead tree version.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-rep ... our-ov-105

That 44m HP is just the boosters, BTW. The Shuttle main engines add another 37m HP to the mix.

Bob
Bob

March 9th, 2011, 1:22 pm #6

The thrust of a solid rocket motor depends on several things including:

Fuel composition - changes in composition can increase or decrease thrust during the burn - this isn't used very often as it is easier (& safer) to control thrust using the other methods.

Fuel shape (Geometry) - e.g. an end-burning motor has a constant thrust, a core burning motor has an increasing thrust as the hole gets bigger and more fuel is exposed - and there are many different shapes with different thrust curves.

Nozzle size - you can also control the thrust by adjusting the nozzle size in flight (or having a designed wear rate which slowly opens the nozzle).

All the above also have a knock on effect on the pressure inside the motor which then influences the burn rate of the fuel and therefore the thrust.

In short, you can fine tune the design of the motor to provide the thrust curve you want

Cheers,

Greebo

P.S. I'm afraid mine are smaller than the SRBs, but just as much fun to play with...

Nice shoes n/t