One of the things that's been keeping me busy this week...

One of the things that's been keeping me busy this week...

April 12th, 2017, 9:17 am #1

On top of all the other crap I've been dealing with recently (mind you, not all of it is 'crap', per se`) one of the side tangents that's been keeping me busy for the last week is a bit of home improvement.

My kinda-sorta "office" area has been in desperate need of some upgrades and remodeling for a while now, so since I've been actively working hard on trying to organize and streamline my- for want of a better term- administrative aspects, I decided it was time to finally do it.

It's an older house, so of course it only has one outlet on each wall- which tends to be a bit light for a multiple-monitor PC setup that includes two scanners, a graphics tablet, about six hard drives, camera chargers, two printers and a couple of battery backups.

And, of course, two walls worth of truly ghastly and not even remotely matching wallpaper that a previous tenant applied at some point in the mists of history.

Having had to try and remove wallpaper before, I've found it's much easier just to demo the wall, and put up new drywall. In this case, I needed to open up the wall to add more sockets anyway, so down they came.

Thankfully it was just two walls of a relatively small room. That took a bit less than a week- of "spare" time - and I figure it'll take another week to get through all the painting, and a third week to get it all fully set back up.

Doc.

April 12th, 2017, 12:25 pm #2

I personally would like to see the Werewolf Jinx, along with the rest of the cast, you could paint them like they are in a big paintball figh--... you meant paint the walls a solid color didnt you?

April 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm #3

On top of all the other crap I've been dealing with recently (mind you, not all of it is 'crap', per se`) one of the side tangents that's been keeping me busy for the last week is a bit of home improvement.

My kinda-sorta "office" area has been in desperate need of some upgrades and remodeling for a while now, so since I've been actively working hard on trying to organize and streamline my- for want of a better term- administrative aspects, I decided it was time to finally do it.

It's an older house, so of course it only has one outlet on each wall- which tends to be a bit light for a multiple-monitor PC setup that includes two scanners, a graphics tablet, about six hard drives, camera chargers, two printers and a couple of battery backups.

And, of course, two walls worth of truly ghastly and not even remotely matching wallpaper that a previous tenant applied at some point in the mists of history.

Having had to try and remove wallpaper before, I've found it's much easier just to demo the wall, and put up new drywall. In this case, I needed to open up the wall to add more sockets anyway, so down they came.

Thankfully it was just two walls of a relatively small room. That took a bit less than a week- of "spare" time - and I figure it'll take another week to get through all the painting, and a third week to get it all fully set back up.

Doc.
You can come and do my house. I hired a guy to replace my roof and he took the roof off and disappeared with my money right before three weeks of down pouring rain. The drywall in the entire house, walls and ceiling, needs to be stripped down and replaced.

So... I can expect you to be here tomorrow?

Thinking that you will do it is a joke. That my house was almost entirely destroyed is not, that really did happened.

April 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm #4

Doc.
Did you forget to add more outlets? I still only see the two you started with.

April 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm #5

You can come and do my house. I hired a guy to replace my roof and he took the roof off and disappeared with my money right before three weeks of down pouring rain. The drywall in the entire house, walls and ceiling, needs to be stripped down and replaced.

So... I can expect you to be here tomorrow?

Thinking that you will do it is a joke. That my house was almost entirely destroyed is not, that really did happened.
That sucks.

I'm fond of using companies that are listed in the state's Registrar of Contractors at a minimum, and also running them through the BBB's site.

April 12th, 2017, 3:30 pm #6

Doc.
Also what insulation did you use to replace the old insulation?

April 12th, 2017, 4:16 pm #7

Did you forget to add more outlets? I still only see the two you started with.
Where are the new outlets?

April 12th, 2017, 7:06 pm #8

The two new outlets are to the left and to the right of the existing/shown ones. I'd thought about adding more, but the two additional ones were more for convenience than anything. No matter what I'll still need a couple surge protectors- if I wanted to plug everything directly into the wall, I'd need a row of 10 outlets just for the hard drives and charging stations.

Anyway, at this point most of the big stuff gets plugged into one of the battery backups, so the total number of outlets wasn't anywhere near as important and placement.

Doc.

April 12th, 2017, 7:13 pm #9

I won't meantion I have 10 doubles around the wall of my office?
(that's 20 BS1363 13A sockets..)

April 12th, 2017, 7:39 pm #10

Doc.
see if a friend has a power sprayer and backroller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcr9MGW_TE&html5=1