Okay, so what's wrong with my computer..?

Okay, so what's wrong with my computer..?

October 10th, 2017, 9:15 pm #1

I seem to be having an interesting issue: Every time I move the mouse cursor to the right edge of the screen, or run it over the little windows icon in the bottom left corner (this is Win 8.1, by the way) the computer locks up. The cursor disappears, keyboard stops working, etc.

After about a minute or so, the cursor reappears, and about 10-30 seconds after that, starts working again normally.

And it's fine, I can go hours without any problem, as long as I keep the cursor away from the right-hand edge of the screen, and away from the Windows icon. The screen-edge thing doesn't always do it (which was typical of 8.1, you could never get the pop-up control panel to come up when you wanted it) but scrolling over the Windows icon at the bottom left does it every time.

Other than that, the computer seems to be functioning normally. Any ideas what's wrong? (Other than the fact I'm still using 8.1 )

Doc.

October 10th, 2017, 10:41 pm #2

Have a look in the update history and see if there's been an update just before the Beast started acting up. Not every update requires a reboot, and if something has made some changes in the background that's impacted the moose, video card or windoze explorer, that may be the problem. If you have anything but a bog-standard MS Moose, try updating/reinstalling the moose software.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

To err is human; to really stuff things up, you need a computer....

Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

October 10th, 2017, 10:55 pm #3

try reinstalling the mb chipset drivers and see if there any updated mouse/keyboard software.

October 10th, 2017, 11:01 pm #4

October 11th, 2017, 2:32 am #5

Yes, it's that PC you built for me. Up until now, it's been working perfectly.

And it has nothing to do with the Start screen or any of the "tiles". Basically any time the cursor moves over a control bar- any part of the standard Windows Taskbar, mainly, but it's done it with Paintshop as well- the computer locks up.

As in the keyboard doesn't do anything, the cursor disappears, and if I have an MP3 playing, it starts repeating the same one-second or so bit when it locked, until it frees itself up again.

For the time being, I can keep working; everything's fine as long as I keep the cursor away from the taskbar. Although as 8.1 was wont to do, every now and then as you're going from one screen to another, it tries to open the pop-up control panel, which locks it up again.

As I said, it "rights itself" after a minute or two, and I can go back to working, but it's still a major annoyance.

Doc.

October 11th, 2017, 4:27 am #6

I seem to be having an interesting issue: Every time I move the mouse cursor to the right edge of the screen, or run it over the little windows icon in the bottom left corner (this is Win 8.1, by the way) the computer locks up. The cursor disappears, keyboard stops working, etc.

After about a minute or so, the cursor reappears, and about 10-30 seconds after that, starts working again normally.

And it's fine, I can go hours without any problem, as long as I keep the cursor away from the right-hand edge of the screen, and away from the Windows icon. The screen-edge thing doesn't always do it (which was typical of 8.1, you could never get the pop-up control panel to come up when you wanted it) but scrolling over the Windows icon at the bottom left does it every time.

Other than that, the computer seems to be functioning normally. Any ideas what's wrong? (Other than the fact I'm still using 8.1 )

Doc.
... upgrading to XP/SP3.

October 11th, 2017, 5:15 am #7

Yes, it's that PC you built for me. Up until now, it's been working perfectly.

And it has nothing to do with the Start screen or any of the "tiles". Basically any time the cursor moves over a control bar- any part of the standard Windows Taskbar, mainly, but it's done it with Paintshop as well- the computer locks up.

As in the keyboard doesn't do anything, the cursor disappears, and if I have an MP3 playing, it starts repeating the same one-second or so bit when it locked, until it frees itself up again.

For the time being, I can keep working; everything's fine as long as I keep the cursor away from the taskbar. Although as 8.1 was wont to do, every now and then as you're going from one screen to another, it tries to open the pop-up control panel, which locks it up again.

As I said, it "rights itself" after a minute or two, and I can go back to working, but it's still a major annoyance.

Doc.
If you open your task manager, expand it to full screen, and purposely trigger the problem, does one of the processes's CPU or Memory usage spike? If not, try switching to performance tab and repeating to see if it records any increase in usage... or if it even records usage. Because what you are describing sounds suspiciously like something gobbling processor time trying (and failing) to do something.

Not saying it's a solution, but it could point you towards the culprit.

October 11th, 2017, 9:36 am #8

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77MAG45.html
make sure you have the newest bios to rule out bios bug.
download hdtune check smart warnings for both drives. may have failing drive causing stalls.
4. us msconfig turn off everything but your anti virus see if it a damaged program running.

October 11th, 2017, 12:04 pm #9

Doc.
It has been a while since I've used Windows, but I do recall one thing that could cause this in many different systems that may be the problem.

It almost sounds like you've got Hot Corners acting up. Contrary to the name, it has options for sides as well as corners. Basically, it sounds like your computer registers a command to go to sleep when the mouse goes over there, then when you touch anything, it then tries to wake up, interrupting itself, making itself feel grumpy without its cup of coffee, and pausing while it reorients itself and lets you continue on itself.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-ho ... ndows-8-1/

One potential wrinkle to it is that part of the system thinks hot corners are up and running, and part of it doesn't. These two parts argue with each other, eating up all the system resources, until the matter finally gets resolved and you can continue with your work.

October 12th, 2017, 1:25 am #10

Doc.
When I started it up this morning, it's no longer doing it, and back to running perfectly.

Temporary driver conflict, maybe?

Doc.