Official Office Officiousness...

Official Office Officiousness...

April 17th, 2017, 9:10 am #1

Finally, after spending more time than I could really afford this weekend, the major work and painting in my office is basically done.

There's still lots of little detail work to do- like new trim around the windows- but I can finally start moving everything back in.

So fair warning: I will probably be basically entirely offline for at least one full day this week, possibly two or three. My poor computer desk, which has already been rebuilt at least five or six times, needs repair again, and and a major upgrade in things like cable management.

Yes, I plan to replace it, and hopefully sooner rather than later. However, I really like the layout, and the only commercial ones in a similar style I can find are all fabulously expensive, so I'll probably have to build one.

I have drawings.

Anyway, almost everything in the office needs work- I need to put up more bookshelves (I have lots of books) I need a better cabinet for the big laser printer, I need to work out a better layout for may packaging and labeling area, find a place for another shelving unit for inventory, etc. so I can't just stuff and pile it all in.

But don't worry, all five strips for this week are already done and loaded- I did those over the past couple of weeks, and had early versions posted over on my Patreon. So even if it takes three days to get this mess sorted out, you ladies and gets will still get your USDA recommended daily does of TWB.

Doc.

April 17th, 2017, 6:17 pm #2

where you can pick up used office desks and work stations??

April 18th, 2017, 7:45 pm #3

You go buy a real desk, and a real drafting table for the drawing work, because you don't have to build anything you can hit the ground running in a day or two. Then modify if needed, and make the computer hutch and shelves above it.

A corner table setup for the Wacom and keyboard drawers and multiple CPU's and monitors you whack together with square tube or that Erector style industrial framing, and since you do get Earthquakes you bolt the shelving straight to the studs.

Lots of room in the corners underneath for CPU's, UPS's and Computer Shite. Install a light so you don't kill yourself crawling around.

Install a gate if critters like to crawl around down there and knock plugs loose, shed all over the cooling vents, and chew or pee on things...

April 18th, 2017, 9:09 pm #4

Finally, after spending more time than I could really afford this weekend, the major work and painting in my office is basically done.

There's still lots of little detail work to do- like new trim around the windows- but I can finally start moving everything back in.

So fair warning: I will probably be basically entirely offline for at least one full day this week, possibly two or three. My poor computer desk, which has already been rebuilt at least five or six times, needs repair again, and and a major upgrade in things like cable management.

Yes, I plan to replace it, and hopefully sooner rather than later. However, I really like the layout, and the only commercial ones in a similar style I can find are all fabulously expensive, so I'll probably have to build one.

I have drawings.

Anyway, almost everything in the office needs work- I need to put up more bookshelves (I have lots of books) I need a better cabinet for the big laser printer, I need to work out a better layout for may packaging and labeling area, find a place for another shelving unit for inventory, etc. so I can't just stuff and pile it all in.

But don't worry, all five strips for this week are already done and loaded- I did those over the past couple of weeks, and had early versions posted over on my Patreon. So even if it takes three days to get this mess sorted out, you ladies and gets will still get your USDA recommended daily does of TWB.

Doc.
I think someone may have mentioned it before, but weren't you going to upgrade to have more outlets?

April 19th, 2017, 4:25 am #5

Also, he might have upgraded the wiring while he had the walls open? More amps would be more useful than just more outlets that add to the chance of blowing the breaker when you turn on One More Thing.

April 19th, 2017, 9:58 am #6

As I noted below, I didn't need-or really, want- to go hog wild on the outlets. Unless I put in two dozen sockets, no matter what I was going to have to use power bars and surge protectors. And, on top of that, I run more than half of everything off of battery backups anyway, which themselves act like big power bars.

No, the upgrade was more for convenience than raw numbers- the single outlets were basically in the middle of each wall, whereas much of my equipment tended to be situated towards the corners. (My desk, mainly, which is a corner model.)

As for power requirements, that hasn't been a big issue. The laser printer sucks up some juice, but it's only run for a few minutes each day. Other than that, the PC itself is the only other big draw. Most everything else is fractional-amp draw at best.

Doc.

April 19th, 2017, 10:08 am #7

You go buy a real desk, and a real drafting table for the drawing work, because you don't have to build anything you can hit the ground running in a day or two. Then modify if needed, and make the computer hutch and shelves above it.

A corner table setup for the Wacom and keyboard drawers and multiple CPU's and monitors you whack together with square tube or that Erector style industrial framing, and since you do get Earthquakes you bolt the shelving straight to the studs.

Lots of room in the corners underneath for CPU's, UPS's and Computer Shite. Install a light so you don't kill yourself crawling around.

Install a gate if critters like to crawl around down there and knock plugs loose, shed all over the cooling vents, and chew or pee on things...
No indoor critters. Just the two cats, and they live out in the shop.

I've actually been trying almost that exact idea- find a new or used desk that can be modded or added on to. My current desk is one I've had for years, and have modded extensively- part to rebuild/strengthen it, part to alter it to be more useful.

The problem is, I like the current format- a corner desk where the user sits right at the apex, facing the corner. Not sitting at one wing or the other. And the only desks I can find that have the same format are new and semi-high-end, and I'd rather not blow $500-$700 plus a couple hundred in shipping, especially if I'm just going to end up with fancy pressboard anyway.

I have a vague design for basically this same desk, with lengthened "wings" and a proper welded frame- like you say, out of 1" square tubing. Make the top out of something good but inexpensive, like cabinet plywood, stain and seal to taste.

Honestly, I could kick it out in a week, for maybe a few hundred, I've just been waiting for that free week.

Doc.

April 19th, 2017, 12:26 pm #8

I know it would be one more 'Project" but why not build your own desk? You know what you want design wise. You are quite handy around a welder and I'm sure you are no slouch when it comes to woodwork. Build it in easy to disassemble sections so you can move it into your office.

April 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm #9

As I noted below, I didn't need-or really, want- to go hog wild on the outlets. Unless I put in two dozen sockets, no matter what I was going to have to use power bars and surge protectors. And, on top of that, I run more than half of everything off of battery backups anyway, which themselves act like big power bars.

No, the upgrade was more for convenience than raw numbers- the single outlets were basically in the middle of each wall, whereas much of my equipment tended to be situated towards the corners. (My desk, mainly, which is a corner model.)

As for power requirements, that hasn't been a big issue. The laser printer sucks up some juice, but it's only run for a few minutes each day. Other than that, the PC itself is the only other big draw. Most everything else is fractional-amp draw at best.

Doc.
You know those long strips of outlets that you can buy to mount about anywhere?

Not like a power strip, but things you can buy by the foot.

I have some, but theres only one outlet about every foot. I'd like something a little closer together. I think I'm just going to have to mount what I've got and deal with it.

So who wants to come to Kansas for a "Good Old Shop Cleaning Party?" I can guarantee it would be a great time!

April 20th, 2017, 6:23 pm #10

Some stuff at McMaster, 6" spacing. On this page:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#power-strips/=17a61rr