Obsessive engineering

Obsessive engineering

February 11th, 2018, 12:52 pm #1

Us homebrewers can also been obsessive engineers as well apparently.

One guy starts with a pneumatic bottle capper out of boredom.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... se.168286/

The real fun starts on the bottom of page 5, another decides to add an automatic cap dispenser to his machine. What happens after that, all the machinists here can relate.

February 11th, 2018, 2:13 pm #2

I know at least one engineer who became an obsessive homebrewer too.

A guy a few miles down the road from my house had been a manufacturing engineer for Eastman Kodak. They offered him an early retirement package about ten years ago, which he accepted. To fill his idle hours he took up homebrewing. A couple of years later the state government started a program to encourage the microbrewing industry, so he went into business. He and his son (also an engineer) built virtually all of their brewing equipment - tanks, plumbing, valves, pumps, a bottling system, the whole works. I don't know if they've turned a profit yet but they're having a great time trying.

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

February 11th, 2018, 5:35 pm #3

The real fun starts on the bottom of page 5, another decides to add an automatic cap dispenser to his machine. What happens after that, all the machinists here can relate.
The original post was in 2011, but as people discovered it and responded, it allowed new visitors to see it perhaps for the first time, and ask questions as well as add input.

That thread was only 7 pages long, but spanned YEARS of evolution from the OP's original idea.

The only thing that really does suck is most of the videos and pics in the early pages have been killed off either by photobucket breaking the internet or accounts that have gone dormant.

February 11th, 2018, 10:53 pm #4

Building stuff just 'cause you can.

I'll have to keep an eye on that to see if he manages to pull it off.

And the linkage bit is eerily reminiscent of a recent attempt I made to make a unique 12-gram changer for my lever actions. I had a weird idea in mind, and tried some kinda-sorta CAD and some cardboard examples. I came up with one version that might work, but there's enough pins and linkages and bits in there that I could see it adding about $150 to $200 to the cost of the gun, all by itself.

So I might have to go with something a bit simpler...

Doc.