Now Casting: Top Engineer on Discovery Channel

Now Casting: Top Engineer on Discovery Channel

James Karhu
James Karhu

February 25th, 2012, 12:03 am #1

My name is James Karhu and I'm with the new Discovery Channel competition show "Top Engineer." I'd like to open this opportunity up you guys!

We're in search of America's most creative and daring techies, machinists, inventors and engineers to design, build, and BLAST their way to a grand prize.

The deadline to apply is March 7th. To apply, visit:http://pilgrimstudios.com/topengineer

James Karhu
Casting Producer | Top Engineer
12020 Chandler Blvd Suite 200 | North Hollywood, CA 91607
818-661-4918
http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/topengineer
http://www.jameskarhu.com

Tohri
Tohri

February 25th, 2012, 1:00 am #2

Although Doc's aversion to people knowing what he looks like or having his real name made public (Lest Madam Clara and her wandering band of gypsies finally finish that voodoo curse they have cooked up for him) Might impede everybody's favorite polar bear from appearing on the show...

I'm sure there's enough people here would pitch in for a decent fursuit just so he can safely remain anonymous even on a Reality TV show. Bonus points if the eyes have built in Jeweler's Loupes, and the suit has a decent cooling system.

Hans
Hans

February 25th, 2012, 1:55 am #3

My name is James Karhu and I'm with the new Discovery Channel competition show "Top Engineer." I'd like to open this opportunity up you guys!

We're in search of America's most creative and daring techies, machinists, inventors and engineers to design, build, and BLAST their way to a grand prize.

The deadline to apply is March 7th. To apply, visit:http://pilgrimstudios.com/topengineer

James Karhu
Casting Producer | Top Engineer
12020 Chandler Blvd Suite 200 | North Hollywood, CA 91607
818-661-4918
http://www.pilgrimstudios.com/topengineer
http://www.jameskarhu.com
Part of me is sitting here thinking how cool it is that you posted up on THIS forum, and it only furthers my suspicion that we have media within the regular readership. I am going to give this a serious read. Who cares about the being on TV part, I'd just love to have a chance to build some badass stuff.

(Cue transition of me becoming a little kid, like the old frosted mini-wheats commercials)

But the skeptic in me thinks it may be a form letter posting, due to the open nature of our N54 forum setup here. I hope I'm wrong on that account, and welcome reassurance on your part that you're genuine.

-Hans

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 25th, 2012, 2:19 am #4

I got almost- but not exactly- the same thing via email.

He's very likely just doing Google searches for keywords like "home shop machinist" or "machine shops" or "engineering machinist" and so forth, and posting or emailing as appropriate. It won't surprise me to see some postings on HSM or PM within the day (both I think require moderator approval before posting.)

But really, as long as he's not being annoying or bordering on spam, no worries. I'd rather get this kind of post-and-run than the one about 'cheap canadian meds'.

Doc.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 25th, 2012, 2:20 am #5

Although Doc's aversion to people knowing what he looks like or having his real name made public (Lest Madam Clara and her wandering band of gypsies finally finish that voodoo curse they have cooked up for him) Might impede everybody's favorite polar bear from appearing on the show...

I'm sure there's enough people here would pitch in for a decent fursuit just so he can safely remain anonymous even on a Reality TV show. Bonus points if the eyes have built in Jeweler's Loupes, and the suit has a decent cooling system.
Actually, I'm seriously thinking of applying. Hey, I'm from Alaska. Going by current TV show listings, I'm practically a shoo-in.

My only real worry is time- and by that, I mean I tend more towards the slow and methodical. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff where I can slap out a workable solution in a short time, but something tells me these guys aren't looking to slap together an old musclecar or do a Krylon rebuild of an old drill press.

If math is involved- calculating load ratings or determining how thick a material we'll need, etc.- I can do it, but only with the help of a bunch of textbooks, a couple of calculators and two hours with Google.

A lot of the stuff I've made, I only did so after some thought. I don't know what this show's format will be like, but if it's a "Junkyard Wars" scenario with some arbitrary time limit- hey, it's a "reality" show, that's the stock in trade- I have to admit I wouldn't do well.

Most of my plans and inventions only came after letting my subconscious chew on it for a while. Sometimes I get an epiphany where the entire thing gels into a complete workable design (my Automag adapters were that way- there was only one minor change made between the prototype and the production pieces, and even then, that was in large part because the bit of scrap I made the prototype from was a touch too short) and other times I'll get a good starting idea, and the rest comes as I'm working on it.

But my scrap bin is epic.

Now, none of that is a dealbreaker. My ego is not so great that I couldn't handle not "winning" whatever competition this is. Like when we (Curt, Timberwolf and I) contemplated signing up for "Junkyard Wars" several years ago, I figure just going and doing would be fun enough, regardless of who wins.

What I don't like, though, is the manufactured drama endemic to the typical reality show. I get the reasoning for it- more people will watch a Soap Opera that just happens to feature cars or machine tools, than will watch a show about some guy spending thirty minutes meticulously turning a candlestick on a lathe. But while I understand it, that doesn't mean I like it. It's too blatantly contrived for me.

And don't even get me started on the utter idiocy of the whole "ghost hunter" nonsense.

I'm going to have to look into this further. If nothing else, maybe I'll get a free tirp to LA out of it. Anyone know what kind of format the show is supposed to be?

Doc.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 25th, 2012, 2:22 am #6

I got almost- but not exactly- the same thing via email.

He's very likely just doing Google searches for keywords like "home shop machinist" or "machine shops" or "engineering machinist" and so forth, and posting or emailing as appropriate. It won't surprise me to see some postings on HSM or PM within the day (both I think require moderator approval before posting.)

But really, as long as he's not being annoying or bordering on spam, no worries. I'd rather get this kind of post-and-run than the one about 'cheap canadian meds'.

Doc.
... Another board a few days ago, linked to a Craigslist ad asking the same thing. So yeah, they're doing a full-tilt online recruit push.

Doc.

THAT guy
THAT guy

February 25th, 2012, 2:44 am #7

I listen to an electrical engineering pod cast called The Amp Hour (theamphour.com).

They have discussed this "Top Engineer" a few times beginning in September when it was called "NerdKing". They talk about their experiences with the producers. They also had Joe Grand (kingpin/lopht fame) on and he talked about his experiences with the Prototype This show.

Anyone seriously thinking about entering should give episodes #60, #62 and #82 a listen. Additionally check out Joe Grand's block about his experiences with the TV industry.

It basically sounds like they are looking for stereotype 'nerds' to dance for the camera and not too interested in your abilities.

Webwolf
Webwolf

February 25th, 2012, 3:00 am #8

Sad. (n/t)

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 25th, 2012, 3:44 am #9

Not that I'm a particular fan or anything, myself, but keep in mind that it's entertainment. As such, the show needs to BE entertaining.

And sadly, there aren't that many of us who are entertained by the real thing- somebody describing how a CNC gantry mill works, or showing how to TIG titanium parts or even walking the viewer though how he came up with the idea for his fancy new invention.

Personally, I'm far more interested in and entertained by a "How it's Made" type show than any episode of "CSI:Flagstaff" or "Lost Survivor" or "Jersey Douchebags" type show. And when you can make the show about hardware and make it entertaining- a'la "Top Gear"- it's better still.

But I saw one episode of Ghost Hunters (or one of those style shows) and I don't think I could have killed more brain cells if I'd drank two jugs of straight methanol. More than a few gun types I know call Top Shot "Top Douchebag"- and, as I understand it, with good reason. I saw some of one of those "gold hunter" shows back around Christmas, and was flabbergasted somebody even made a TV show out of it. It didn't even make a good home movie. It would have been better to send the camera crew to record the meeting where they green-lighted that show. Just getting pictures of that much coke on tape would be entertaining enough.

The Craigslist ad I noted in the other post basically said that right up front- they're looking for loud, entertaining, in-your-face types. In other words, they want loudmouths first, machinists and engineers second.

Unfortunately, that's the way TV works these days. Writing a plot line is hard. Much easier to toss a bunch of noobs in an uncomfortable situation and tape everything in the hopes somebody does or says something embarrassing.

Did I just talk myself out of applying...?

Doc.

MephitMark
MephitMark

February 25th, 2012, 5:44 am #10

Actually, I'm seriously thinking of applying. Hey, I'm from Alaska. Going by current TV show listings, I'm practically a shoo-in.

My only real worry is time- and by that, I mean I tend more towards the slow and methodical. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff where I can slap out a workable solution in a short time, but something tells me these guys aren't looking to slap together an old musclecar or do a Krylon rebuild of an old drill press.

If math is involved- calculating load ratings or determining how thick a material we'll need, etc.- I can do it, but only with the help of a bunch of textbooks, a couple of calculators and two hours with Google.

A lot of the stuff I've made, I only did so after some thought. I don't know what this show's format will be like, but if it's a "Junkyard Wars" scenario with some arbitrary time limit- hey, it's a "reality" show, that's the stock in trade- I have to admit I wouldn't do well.

Most of my plans and inventions only came after letting my subconscious chew on it for a while. Sometimes I get an epiphany where the entire thing gels into a complete workable design (my Automag adapters were that way- there was only one minor change made between the prototype and the production pieces, and even then, that was in large part because the bit of scrap I made the prototype from was a touch too short) and other times I'll get a good starting idea, and the rest comes as I'm working on it.

But my scrap bin is epic.

Now, none of that is a dealbreaker. My ego is not so great that I couldn't handle not "winning" whatever competition this is. Like when we (Curt, Timberwolf and I) contemplated signing up for "Junkyard Wars" several years ago, I figure just going and doing would be fun enough, regardless of who wins.

What I don't like, though, is the manufactured drama endemic to the typical reality show. I get the reasoning for it- more people will watch a Soap Opera that just happens to feature cars or machine tools, than will watch a show about some guy spending thirty minutes meticulously turning a candlestick on a lathe. But while I understand it, that doesn't mean I like it. It's too blatantly contrived for me.

And don't even get me started on the utter idiocy of the whole "ghost hunter" nonsense.

I'm going to have to look into this further. If nothing else, maybe I'll get a free tirp to LA out of it. Anyone know what kind of format the show is supposed to be?

Doc.
Years back I did enjoy watching some of the show American Choppers(?), with the Tuttle(?) pack. Now the bikes were interesting so some degree. And wish there was more attention to the design process then following closely to the finish product. But after attending a motorcycle trade show in Minneapolis around the same time, I found out why the producers choose the Orange County Choppers shop.

The Tuttle pack where/are a bunch of drama queens.

Most other shops would utterly bore the audience to death. Now I would bet Nickel, the producers would get one look at your shop and start drooling. And cook your shop 'image' way up to play the drama part. And may not reflect exactly as you might want either. If they also found out about your comic? That is one I'd rather not let them get a hold of.

In some respects, you might look at how the actors portraying the Three Stooges were treated. Rather badly, even though the actors racked in cash for the studios.

It would be something for you to prove what you can do, and get some free 'advertising' out of it. Just be very aware there could be less then desirable consequences as well.