Not good enough for Wikipedia?

Not good enough for Wikipedia?

Louis-Paul
Louis-Paul

July 27th, 2012, 3:13 pm #1

Not sure if you noticed but someone has decided that TWB is not notorious enough to deserve its own Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whiteboard

Found it through wikifur as I was getting desperate to find out what had happened during the outage.

BTW Doc, my 13 yr old daughter is on the hunt for that scarf guy as he's got some 'splaining to do...

WatchDragon
WatchDragon

July 27th, 2012, 4:07 pm #2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... Whiteboard_(3rd_nomination)

I guess is was deleted because web comics are not good enough for wikipedia.

Cbob
Cbob

July 27th, 2012, 10:05 pm #3

Another round of collective wiki hates webcomics & decides to delete all references to them?

(And they wonder why some folks won't donate?)

Zayden
Zayden

July 28th, 2012, 12:01 am #4

Not sure if you noticed but someone has decided that TWB is not notorious enough to deserve its own Wiki page:

Found it through wikifur as I was getting desperate to find out what had happened during the outage.

BTW Doc, my 13 yr old daughter is on the hunt for that scarf guy as he's got some 'splaining to do...
They did that to the wiki page that Star Pirates had.

-

Austin J
Austin J

July 28th, 2012, 8:56 pm #5

Another round of collective wiki hates webcomics & decides to delete all references to them?

(And they wonder why some folks won't donate?)
Well, if you read the reasons of why it is deleted it sort of makes sense. The Whiteboard + webcomic doesn't actually show up right away except via other means.

It is not that they hate it. It just simply does not seem have enough to meet their guidelines.

Which is kinda sucky cause the community for TWB is big enough.

Austin

Kitkun
Kitkun

July 29th, 2012, 2:25 am #6

... if I'm reading that right, if you have something that all 7 billion plus people on the planet read, but it's not in some article by a group that's mentioned by another group and so on, it's not considered 'notable'?

Do they not see the failure in this? What fool came up with such guidelines?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 29th, 2012, 11:11 am #7

"Internet popularity" is essentially not enough- despite purely-internet entities like Reddit and Digg getting Wiki entries long before any "third party" acknowledges them.

As I've said before, I can kind of see where they're coming from. Just because you have a blog with 300 regular readers, do you rate a Wiki page?

In the same vein, there's literally over 10,000 webcomics out there. If one with 10,000 regular readers rares a Wiki page, what about the one with just 50?

Yes, space isn't a problem- those 10,000 entries would take up less disk space than just the discussion page for the Apple IIe. But clogging can be a problem- if you search on some subject, you don't necessarily need to keep coming up with six dozen webcomic references.

The problem, however, is solvable. Just not with Wiki's current lot of editors, a fair number of whom dislike webcomics, and have explicitly said so.

Personally, I'm not all that worried about it. Wiki was never a noteworthy- heh- source of traffic, and really, most people just used it for the cast page.

On that note, if anyone could retrieve me a copy of the wiki page- just the HTML is fine- I'll be happy to repost it in TWB until such time, if ever, the actual Wiki page can be reinstated.

And, if you'd like to help get TWB reinstated, the easiest way would be to get it into a third-party publication of some sort. If anyone has any ideas or connections to those ends, let me know. I'd be happy to provide high-res copies in color or B&W for publication- just keep in mind that the Wiki people probably aren't going to accept a college newspaper or indie 'zine as a "reputable" source.

Doc.

J.Cook
J.Cook

July 29th, 2012, 6:14 pm #8

The internet Archive snagged a copy of it last year, but without the CSS and other fancy formatting that the rest of wikipedia uses:

http://web.archive.org/web/201102251219 ... Whiteboard

It's a start at least?

Algaean
Algaean

July 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm #9

The article of the day was some junior high school I'd never heard of; the whole page was basically one giant ad for how awesome the school was and they admitted it. (Amador High School, check the references!)

Dago Redd
Dago Redd

July 30th, 2012, 5:23 am #10

what I sent the idiot that deleted the wiki page:

Cmon? For real? You deleted "The Whiteboard"'s page because it wasn't notable??? I'm guessing you think that Alaska isn't notable unless Greenpeace, the Sierra Club or some other liberal organization is taking an interest. Alaska is the largest small town in the world. I meet people around the world from Alaska and we know the same folks. I meet people from around the world that come to Alaska for the experience...and we we keep in contact. From Stutgartt to Hiroshima, from Xiamen, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Perth and Christ Church. I could go on, but you get my drift. Heck, two of my local customers (who own a Best Western hotel here in Wasilla) are from India. BTW if you have any trouble with the English I'm writing in, then I suggest you get somebody besides another Nazi to translate for you. Alaska is significant to the United States of America (you know, that country full of "ugly Americans" that put an uppity Germany/Prussia down like a rabid dog TWICE in the 20th Century? I'm sure you know names like Kaiser Wilhelm, Bismark and Hitler. You going to delete THEIR pages?). Just today at an airshow at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson I witnessed enough firepower to make modern Germany a hole in the ground without the use of nuclear weapons. I'm not talking hyperbole. Seriously enough fire power if they loaded live weapons. Heck, I'm pretty sure the B-52 (singular not more then one) would be enough to decimate Berlin. Not that I expect you to understand that I mean "decimate" in the classical sense. What I see is one more Euro using precocious power on the Internet to try to belittle US citizens, citizens of Alaska, paintballers and folks that enjoy webcomics. Did some Alaskan make you feel small? Did some webcomic artist make fun of you? I know you Germans hate all US citizens, but hey, I can at least understand being upset with the people that have kicked your ass so many times. I know you won't read this far, or even care, but I've said my piece. I'm an Alaskan, a US citizen, grandson of a soldier that kept the Axis from conquering the world, I'm a conservative, I'm a paintballer and I'm a webcomicaholic. What bothers me most is that something as useful as Wikpedia allows people like you to delete pages to things people love, that are enjoyable, and harm no one, while allowing pages devoted to peverse things like "felching", "anal sex" and "demon worship". I hope that someone with an Automag nails you right between the 'nads with a Diablo paintball in the very near future....perferably without chronoing first.

No it won't do any good, but I felt better afterwards. Remember my wife's Madien name is "Meyer" and that I'm of French Canadian heritage....with enough American Native thrown in to get really ticked off at this dude's high handedness in deleteing the sacarad Whiteboard...