No tablesaw, no problem.

No tablesaw, no problem.

nerobro
nerobro

May 27th, 2011, 1:49 pm #1

First off, last time I used a tablesaw, it was indoors, and I didn't have proper dust protection.

I do now. That'sa $9 JT clone goggle, that I would never take near a paintball field. and a $40 mask. I also did this outdoors.

So I didn't want to waste the hour round trip to go use the big tablesaw at the pumping station, so I decided to make my own.

That's a brand new craftsman circular saw. It's also 10 years old. I have no idea why my mom bought it, but it still had wax on the blade tips!

1" square tubing is immensely useful.

And it's on the blog:
http://nerosrollingyurty.blogspot.com/

MephitMark
MephitMark

May 27th, 2011, 4:56 pm #2

With no ear protection with a saw screaming away you can kiss a lot of you hearing good-bye!

ta2maki
ta2maki

May 27th, 2011, 4:58 pm #3

First off, last time I used a tablesaw, it was indoors, and I didn't have proper dust protection.

I do now. That'sa $9 JT clone goggle, that I would never take near a paintball field. and a $40 mask. I also did this outdoors.

So I didn't want to waste the hour round trip to go use the big tablesaw at the pumping station, so I decided to make my own.

That's a brand new craftsman circular saw. It's also 10 years old. I have no idea why my mom bought it, but it still had wax on the blade tips!

And it's on the blog:
But didn't have a table.

It was the middle of the night, and found the table saw broken. The job needed to be completed by morning so, I plunged the circular saw right through a full sheet of plywood. Screwed the circular saw to it. then screwed a stack of 2x4s as legs. On/off was plugging/unplugging the power cord because the power switch was unaccessible and thus, taped to stay on. Used a scrap piece of wood screwed down to the "table" as my fence. It was a frightening contraption, considering I had already been working 14 hours and tired, as I had to kneel on top of the plywood to finish the cuts. Any slips could mean falling on top of the blade. It wasn't the smartest thing, but was necessary to get the job done on time.

nerobro
nerobro

May 27th, 2011, 5:14 pm #4

With no ear protection with a saw screaming away you can kiss a lot of you hearing good-bye!
I'm really careful with my ears. I did that outside, and it's not a very powerful saw. It was fairly quiet really. I have a handfull of earplugs in my bag at all times.

I do appreciate the concern though.

BWC
BWC

May 28th, 2011, 10:46 am #5

And it's on the blog:
internet told me it would be a sure fire way to get mentioned at the darwin awards site.

The main reason stated was the lack of a riving knife which could lead to jams and from there to interesting failures.

I'm I know to believe that they were wrong?

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

May 28th, 2011, 11:13 am #6

I've used plenty of high quality saws with no riving knife - I'm surprised that was the sticking point.

I would've been more worried about the complete lack of rigidity, the total lack of any method to ensure the guide is parallel to the blade, and the impossibility of shutting it off while your hand is in it.

As somebody who uses machine tools all day every day, table saws are far and away the scariest tool I know of.

My brother (a cabinet and furniture maker) bought a sawstop a while ago, and I've seen it go off. Damn nice saw, damn cool feature.

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

May 28th, 2011, 6:08 pm #7

Most of the home improvement or low end hobby crowd can't afford to drop that much on a saw. They are also the crowd who are most likely to hurt themselves since they are less experienced.

ta2maki
ta2maki

May 28th, 2011, 8:10 pm #8

I've used plenty of high quality saws with no riving knife - I'm surprised that was the sticking point.

I would've been more worried about the complete lack of rigidity, the total lack of any method to ensure the guide is parallel to the blade, and the impossibility of shutting it off while your hand is in it.

As somebody who uses machine tools all day every day, table saws are far and away the scariest tool I know of.

My brother (a cabinet and furniture maker) bought a sawstop a while ago, and I've seen it go off. Damn nice saw, damn cool feature.
which IMO makes them more dangerous.

Tohri
Tohri

May 28th, 2011, 8:13 pm #9

internet told me it would be a sure fire way to get mentioned at the darwin awards site.

The main reason stated was the lack of a riving knife which could lead to jams and from there to interesting failures.

I'm I know to believe that they were wrong?
No reason to operate a table saw without one. However.

The riving knife's job is to make sure that when you rip down a piece of lumber, the stresses in the wood don't make it close up on the blade and kick on you.

You -Can- operate the saw without, but I wouldn't do any ripping of hardwood with it.

Shalom
Shalom

May 29th, 2011, 3:28 am #10

And it's on the blog:
Apparently you're not the first to try this out.

http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/D ... %20Saw.ppt