New player goggles?

New player goggles?

Rainbird
Rainbird

June 29th, 2012, 5:37 am #1

I want to buy my own equipment to play paintball and I'm looking for goggles. i want good coverage, thermal or anti fog lenses, and they need to fit over my glasses. Don't want cheap.

OmniMech
OmniMech

June 29th, 2012, 8:50 am #2

First rule of buying goggles: Dont skimp on them. This is your eyesight we're talking about.

Just about any make of goggle will fit over your entire face, and wrap around to cover your ears. You may want to try on a few different styles, though. I once tried on the i4's (supposedly, all the cool kids are wearing them) and found that, while they looked good, they were too small for my face. The lower part of the mask was right on my cheeks, and when I opened my mouth, my whole lower jaw was exposed.

As far as the lenses, anti-fog is cheaper, but will eventually fog over. They're treated with an a-f coating that, while good, isn't perfect. Inevitably, they will fog. Thermals are better, in my opinion, but they do cost a few bucks more. I've played in both dry and humid environments, and I tend to huff and puff a lot when I play, and I have never had a thermal lens fog over.

Most any goggle system will fit over your glasses, but there are a few exceptions. Unless you're wearing very small, very narrow glasses, masks like the V-force grill may not work so well. Again, try on a few pairs to see what works.

Two of the best goggle systems that I have run across a the trusty JT masks, more recently, the Sly Pro-fit. JT makes a variety of masks, including a mask that has full head protection, via a multi-part plastic 'helmet'. VERY nice if you're worried about head hits. And JT masks are usually inexpensive; topping out in the $70.00 range.
The Sly masks are a little more 'snug' than the JT masks, but that's just due to the padding in them. The Sly masks do have thermal lenses, and two head straps, so the mask is going to be very secure on your face. They fit over glasses pretty well, and the velvet on the padding is a nice touch. The Sly masks tend to run in the $80.00 to $90.00 range, though.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

June 29th, 2012, 11:38 am #3

I want to buy my own equipment to play paintball and I'm looking for goggles. i want good coverage, thermal or anti fog lenses, and they need to fit over my glasses. Don't want cheap.
I'm not sure I can even get new Spectra lenses anymore, and these things must be close to ten years old. (Though admittedly have seen relatively little use. )

I have a binful of goggles, actually, but most are either old Spectras, some cheap V-Forces, a couple of obsolete Scott ref's masks (bright yellow) my truly ancient Iridium lens in an old JT Softstream, some old X-Fires, and I think there's even a Whipper Snapper in there somewhere.

So ditto; what's the Guild recommend for a midrange-and-up gogg, preferably thermal?

Doc.

OmniMech
OmniMech

June 29th, 2012, 11:41 am #4

For the mid range stuff, thats easy. JT's. Wore those for 10 years and loved em.

For the high end stuff: Sly Pro-fit. Tried on a pair of those after my JT's started to develop dry rot (again), and made the switch. The only issue you may have is the foam covering your ears. Theres a channel cut out of the foam, so you can hear, but it tends to cut off a lot of the high-frequency noise.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

June 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm #5

more than my profilers (or equivelent cheap version, forget what they are.)

Silcas
Silcas

June 29th, 2012, 6:19 pm #6

I'm not sure I can even get new Spectra lenses anymore, and these things must be close to ten years old. (Though admittedly have seen relatively little use. )

I have a binful of goggles, actually, but most are either old Spectras, some cheap V-Forces, a couple of obsolete Scott ref's masks (bright yellow) my truly ancient Iridium lens in an old JT Softstream, some old X-Fires, and I think there's even a Whipper Snapper in there somewhere.

So ditto; what's the Guild recommend for a midrange-and-up gogg, preferably thermal?

Doc.
First off, find one that is comfortable and fits the profile of your Face. I believe you mentioned glasses in your original post and are wearing them underneath. You may try looking into the V-Force Grill or the V-Force Profiler, both are a great mid range goggle, and the lenses are easily replacable, as well as they fit someone with a larger face profile.

That said, you may also like the Dye i4's. I picked up a set for reffing this year, and although you will need to have a small facial profile, they have worked extremely well and are comfortable for reffing/playing 8+ hours a day.

I haven't yet tried the E-Vents from Empire, but those are the another option for you.

Same with the Sly Masks. I've got a buddy who swears by them, but I haven't personally used them.

All in all, find something that fits you comfortably, and that you like the look of. Try and find a field nearby and ask people if they will let you try on a certain type of mask, and ask for their opinions as well!

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

June 29th, 2012, 6:21 pm #7

more than my profilers (or equivelent cheap version, forget what they are.)
Tehn i got a set of Vents. heck, not even sure if they sell them any more... hmm.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

June 29th, 2012, 10:36 pm #8

don't like them as much (sorry simon!).

Dak-Attack
Dak-Attack

June 30th, 2012, 6:02 am #9

Profilers for mid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgYqgwiJRg

Here's a video review from Mike.

DK1
DK1

June 30th, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

Doc.
Back when the Grills were new. I liked the fit and feature set, plus the lenses are easy to change.

I liked JT's, but their lens system was such a PITA to change out. The V-force design seems to be more secure on my head, also.

However, I haven't played in a couple of years (at least), so I'm in no way current on what's out there now.

DK1