New N54-to-Tapatalk update:

New N54-to-Tapatalk update:

February 7th, 2018, 11:03 am #1

While we're updating, I got an email earlier today from Tapatalk, with a link to a beta-test version of what the Tinker's Guild will look like after the transition:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thetinkersguild

DO NOT POST ANYTHING OVER THERE! Any action taken over there will be deleted once the changeover is made. You might experiment with changing avatars and whatnot, but if you upload anything, it'll be deleted after the switch.

I haven't had time to do anything more than just look at it. It's a new format for the Guild, to be sure, and I don't know what options are available, but as soon as the book run dies down a bit, I'll do a little fiddling and see what's possible.

They say once the swapover is made, all N54 addresses and links will automatically redirect. I'll likely have to redo the banner title and whatnot, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

If there are any teething problems, have patience, they'll be working on it. Not much I'll be able to do apart from send 'em an inquisitive email.

Let me know what you think.
Doc.

February 7th, 2018, 11:12 am #2

One issue I can see is that old posts appear to assume you're "quoted" the post you're replying to- which means there's a copy of the original posts' text in your reply.

(I don't know about new replies, I'm only looking at old N54 posts that have been transferred over.)

That's not really a big problem, except if/when it comes to one of my posts with a lot of build-project photos. That might get kind of cluttered.

Hopefully any NEW posts, after the changeover, you'll be able to choose whether to quote or not, and will be able to edit the quoted paragraphs down.

Doc.

February 7th, 2018, 12:19 pm #3

If old posts can be edited it shouldn't be too much of an issue, really...

We just need to either have Moderators or the posters trawl through the old posts and either delete the quotes or at least edit them down to 'relevancy'.

Looks at a couple of the old project posts...

All right... Maybe it is a bit of an issue...

February 7th, 2018, 8:32 pm #4

While we're updating, I got an email earlier today from Tapatalk, with a link to a beta-test version of what the Tinker's Guild will look like after the transition:

DO NOT POST ANYTHING OVER THERE! Any action taken over there will be deleted once the changeover is made. You might experiment with changing avatars and whatnot, but if you upload anything, it'll be deleted after the switch.

I haven't had time to do anything more than just look at it. It's a new format for the Guild, to be sure, and I don't know what options are available, but as soon as the book run dies down a bit, I'll do a little fiddling and see what's possible.

They say once the swapover is made, all N54 addresses and links will automatically redirect. I'll likely have to redo the banner title and whatnot, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

If there are any teething problems, have patience, they'll be working on it. Not much I'll be able to do apart from send 'em an inquisitive email.

Doc.
ugg

February 7th, 2018, 8:50 pm #5

We've needed a login to post here for a while, and this site is going away. So your login count remains the same. And if you already have a tapatalk login, it drops by one.

February 7th, 2018, 10:33 pm #6

ugg
No problem, this is the only place I use that login.

February 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm #7

If old posts can be edited it shouldn't be too much of an issue, really...

We just need to either have Moderators or the posters trawl through the old posts and either delete the quotes or at least edit them down to 'relevancy'.

Looks at a couple of the old project posts...

All right... Maybe it is a bit of an issue...

You have to actively quote the original post, at least the ones I've been on. Otherwise it'd be a grand mess. Probably would drive readers away fast.

February 8th, 2018, 3:54 pm #8

Doc.
... no good.

I registered for TT about 2 hours ago, but haven't seen the confirmation e-mail.

Or I think I registered, anyway. When I selected the language it went to the next page like I had submitted the application, but I hadn't. When I tried again, it went as it should right up to the point where after I clicked the send button I was told the address was already used (and it's not an easily mistakable or common one that others may have used).

Am I just being impatient (entirely possible) or is something broken?

February 9th, 2018, 2:31 am #9

Guess I'll need to try another address.

February 9th, 2018, 5:26 pm #10

No problem, this is the only place I use that login.
*o.0*
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton