My new toy

My new toy

September 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm #1

So last week I bit the bullet so to speak and spent a little more then I wanted to get myself a cintiq. Figured if I wanted to advance my art skills I would need to start working digitally. I've had doc show me how his worked and always was impressed by how much easier it made things. Well I picked it up last night and with docs help had it up and running with only a few hiccups.( like forgetting to plug in the USB and wondering why the pen wouldn't work)

So the question I have for any of you art types out there are what are some good tips / programs to use with this thing? I'm pretty much the newb when it comes to using it. Currently I have docs ancient copy of paintshop and a full version of twisted brush. Was considering trying a trial version of photoshop to see if it had tools more in line with how I think it should work. Both of the programs I mentioned have various things about them I really like, but I'm having trouble with one because I need to reverse or reassign a function but seem to be unable to do it how I think it should be. Could very well be a me thing.

Any input will be welcome. I have a cintiq 27qhd touch. (Loving the hand commands btw)

September 12th, 2017, 4:51 pm #2

While I'm not an artist, I hear a number of the illustrator types that I watch say good things about Paint Tool SAI.

I hope you enjoy your new toy!

September 12th, 2017, 7:26 pm #3

So last week I bit the bullet so to speak and spent a little more then I wanted to get myself a cintiq. Figured if I wanted to advance my art skills I would need to start working digitally. I've had doc show me how his worked and always was impressed by how much easier it made things. Well I picked it up last night and with docs help had it up and running with only a few hiccups.( like forgetting to plug in the USB and wondering why the pen wouldn't work)

So the question I have for any of you art types out there are what are some good tips / programs to use with this thing? I'm pretty much the newb when it comes to using it. Currently I have docs ancient copy of paintshop and a full version of twisted brush. Was considering trying a trial version of photoshop to see if it had tools more in line with how I think it should work. Both of the programs I mentioned have various things about them I really like, but I'm having trouble with one because I need to reverse or reassign a function but seem to be unable to do it how I think it should be. Could very well be a me thing.

Any input will be welcome. I have a cintiq 27qhd touch. (Loving the hand commands btw)
What I see recommended most of the time is GIMP. n/t
JozsefC

September 12th, 2017, 7:36 pm #4

GIMP is popular almost entirely because it's free.

But most regular art-software users tell me they dislike the interface, and little is 'intuitive'.

I tried it once many years ago, and yeah, found the same thing. Nothing was labeled what I expected, and nothing was where I expected. I'm sure I could have eventually learned to use it, but it wasn't particularly well set up.

Doc.

September 12th, 2017, 8:49 pm #5

That's what happens when you turn software nerds loose on a tool meant for visual tasks.

I'm sure the UI is quite intuitive to someone who's familiar with the underlying code.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 12th, 2017, 10:06 pm #6

But most regular art-software users tell me they dislike the interface, and little is 'intuitive'.

I tried it once many years ago, and yeah, found the same thing. Nothing was labeled what I expected, and nothing was where I expected. I'm sure I could have eventually learned to use it, but it wasn't particularly well set up.

Doc.
Everyone complains about GIMP's UI, but it's really not that much different from Photoshop. They are both complex programs with a substantial learning curve. Then again, while I've used both, I've only used them for photo editing and not creating new art. Maybe that's the difference.

September 12th, 2017, 11:34 pm #7

Many moons ago, I got a free copy of Photoshop elements. Never could figure out how to create a new layer. GIMP, I can use.

That said, I'm still using an antiquated version of Paint Shop Pro.

September 13th, 2017, 12:08 am #8

Doc.
Here's the thing about the GIMP UI... it's modular. It was written for us oddball penguin types, who just think differently than most folks (although honestly, we're trying to work on that). However, as with most applications written with Linux in mind, the vast majority of the user interface is customizable. In fact, while GIMP doesn't put out a 'photoshop-equivelant UI' for legal reasons, there's a third-party GIMP UI that is... pretty much identical, including hotkeys.

For example:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/make ... oshop-easy

You can find various 'theme packs' for GIMP that work better for those familiar with and used to Photoshop.

Having said that, if you already HAVE Photoshop, and already familiar with it, there's zero reason to up and switch to GIMP. But for those who don't have the cash for a professional license, GIMP is a free to use, free to distribute alternative that can provide a very similar experience.

September 13th, 2017, 10:20 am #9

There's also paint.Net (free)
Explosion - from the Latin, 'oh my god, my eyebrows'

September 14th, 2017, 11:11 am #10

on paintshop they just dropped a new version about 3 months after i sent doc his new copy. the newest version from corel is free to try. they also have a few new tablet art programs too.
http://www.painterartist.com/en/product ... ssentials/