My automotive update

My automotive update

March 30th, 2017, 7:18 am #1

Since Hans updated his project, I'll bring you up to speed on my car project. First a little background. Last year, we had 6 meets. Of those, we set records at 5 of them. The points from those meets put us 8th over all for the season. We still don't know why the motor won't rev over 10,500 RPMs, (it should go to 13,000), but we're not going to worry too much about it. We'll just keep gearing it for 10.5K and move on.

We pulled the motor out and stripped it down to the main bearings, and there was no significant wear or damage. All the valve springs got checked, and all the valves lapped. New rings are on order, and the motor should be complete and re-installed in a few weeks.

The front axle king pin bushings had never been replaced, and they were about 10 years old. They had a very slight amount of play so we decided to replace those. At first, I couldn't find any that were the right size, so I just started searching for the right diameters, and finally found some that were good but twice as long. After a little investigation, it turned out they were an exact match, but had to be split in two. Yes, really. That's all done now.

We have about 6 weekends left before the first race of the season, but two of those I'll be out of town. I think we can get it finished before the meet. We're going to try and top out just over 200 mph before changing engine classes.

March 30th, 2017, 9:07 am #2

I thought you said you guys had figured out the rev-limit issue, with a leaky gasket on the pressure side of the intake tract.

Or was that an issue you found, but haven't had a chance to retest yet?

Doc.

March 30th, 2017, 4:33 pm #3

We had a leak in the intake side, but our biggest leaks were on the exhaust side. But neither of those were the rev. issue. One of the things we tried to fix the rev issue was moving the turbo and completely replacing the exhaust system. Since that didn't fix the problem, any leaks that subsequently developed weren't likely to be the cause. We're setting records at 10K RPMs, so I'm at the point of just not worrying about it nay more.

April 1st, 2017, 10:54 pm #4

Since Hans updated his project, I'll bring you up to speed on my car project. First a little background. Last year, we had 6 meets. Of those, we set records at 5 of them. The points from those meets put us 8th over all for the season. We still don't know why the motor won't rev over 10,500 RPMs, (it should go to 13,000), but we're not going to worry too much about it. We'll just keep gearing it for 10.5K and move on.

We pulled the motor out and stripped it down to the main bearings, and there was no significant wear or damage. All the valve springs got checked, and all the valves lapped. New rings are on order, and the motor should be complete and re-installed in a few weeks.

The front axle king pin bushings had never been replaced, and they were about 10 years old. They had a very slight amount of play so we decided to replace those. At first, I couldn't find any that were the right size, so I just started searching for the right diameters, and finally found some that were good but twice as long. After a little investigation, it turned out they were an exact match, but had to be split in two. Yes, really. That's all done now.

We have about 6 weekends left before the first race of the season, but two of those I'll be out of town. I think we can get it finished before the meet. We're going to try and top out just over 200 mph before changing engine classes.
I haven't seen any of your previous posts (or don't remember) What kind of car is this? and what engine? I mean, 13,000 rpm?? that's crazy fast!

April 2nd, 2017, 8:12 pm #5

It's a specialized race motorcycle, for Bonneville-style timed top-speed runs.

As I recall, it's turbocharged... Kawasaki, I think, 1000cc inline four. The issue here is that unloaded and on the dyno, he can get it to rev to 13+K rpm, but in the bike and at speed, he can only get 10K rpm out of it.

We've discussed and rejected various issues such as valve float, timing issues, ECM programming, injector starvation, and other factors.

Doc.

April 3rd, 2017, 6:31 pm #6

Specifically, a "Bellytank Lakester". Here is more info:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/9013/message/1465845305

April 5th, 2017, 9:03 pm #7

nicely titilating