More progress on another long-term project...

May 4th, 2018, 8:43 am #1

After more than a year of utter inactivity on this particular project, an update! (Yes, I'm still working on the Springfield... just... you know... not very often. 😁 )

The lathe is largely complete, but waiting on a few detail bits. The big one there being I wanted to have the bed properly ground, and then to line the carriage with Moglice, a moldable machine way liner, as per a popular online technique that uses the freshly-ground ways as a "mold" to form the epoxy-like Moglice.

The wear wasn't horrible (about 20 thou at the chuck) and I could have used the thing as it was, but a friend of mine has been threatening to take a trip to the States with a truck and trailer to pick up some machinery he'd left behind in California.

That trip is finally happening, after two-plus years of such threats. He'll be leaving in a week or so, so it's finally time to re-dismantle the beast, get the bed ready for transport, and... oh. Um.... hmmm.

I'm pretty sure the lathe is in there somewhere. 😂 (That's almost all paintball gear, by the way. 😋 )

After two days of cleaning, sorting, cursing and at least two small bonfires to get rid of all those unsold Ripper 'Cocker bodies, new X-Mags, and leftover copies of Action Comics #1 that had been cluttering the shop, I finally had the monster reexcavated.

And, with a little hired help (not pictured) we started getting the beast dismantled this morning.

By shortly after noon, we had it back down to the bare bed...

And then not long after that, had the bed outside and flipped over so I can bolt some sections of 4x4 to the pads, to raise it up enough that the grinding shop can more easily pick it off with a forklift.

By the weekend I'll have it back on its feet, wrapped in plastic to protect it a bit during the trip, and hopefully by Monday it'll be off on its journey.

The original plan was to get it to Schaeffer Grinding, a very highly recommended shop in Los Angeles, as the fellow is heading for California anyway. That proved to be a bit troublesome, as he's heading for the Sacramento area- which is what, another 350 miles or so short of LA?

Meaning he'd have to drive there and back to drop the bed off, then there and back again to pick it up- on additional two to four days and some 1,400 extra miles. And besides the time, he says he wouldn't be looking forward to dragging a big truck and trailer into the LA bowl in the first place. He used to live there, and hated it. 😁

I asked around a year or two ago about other options, and a shop in Vancouver, Canada came well-recommended. I've been in contact with them, and it looks like the new plan will work- My friend will pass through Vancouver, drop off the Springfield bed (and possibly a couple other parts) and continue on to his destination in California.

After his project is complete there, he'll pick it back up on his way back home. The whole process will take some two months, and will cost me a bucket, but if it all works out, once the bed is back and the rest of the detail work is done, I'll have damn near a brand-new machine again. And maybe two others up and running as well. 😀

Doc.

May 4th, 2018, 10:25 pm #2

Indeed, L.A. sucks for truckers -- the want-ads for truckers even advertise "No L. A. or NYC"....
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

May 5th, 2018, 4:20 am #3

Looks more fun than my current projects - creating HF QRP antennas out of fibreglass poles, PVC pipe and junk I find on sale at the Home Depot.  Can't seem to get a good impedance yet.  Still working on it.

May 5th, 2018, 1:40 pm #4

PoisonOakMagnet wrote: Looks more fun than my current projects - creating HF QRP antennas out of fibreglass poles, PVC pipe and junk I find on sale at the Home Depot.  Can't seem to get a good impedance yet.  Still working on it.
I'm not sure discussing QRP (low power radio transmitters for the non-ham folks) is allowed in Doc's presence. Terms like "horsepower" or "kiloton yield" seem to be preferred.

But seriously - what kind of antenna are you building? I haven't had much luck using PVC pipe for anything but coil forms. It's usually too floppy to support anything suitably long. But the elbows, tees, and other fittings are sure handy.

DE WD8CIV
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

May 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm #5

DocsMachine wrote: The lathe is largely complete, but waiting on a few detail bits. The big one there being I wanted to have the bed properly ground, and then to line the carriage with Moglice, a moldable machine way liner, as per a popular online technique that uses the freshly-ground ways as a "mold" to form the epoxy-like Moglice.
I Mogliced the bed on my 10EE and am very happy with the result.  Much of the process was documented in the Practical Machinist in the 10EE forum.

When I had the bed ground I also had the saddle dovetail ways ground parallel.  That let me put some Multifil way material on the bottom of the cross slide to compensate for the wear and get the cross slide screw back on height.  I didn't make a new gib for it since a .005 shim behind it on the static side made it right.

The swivel on the taper was ground parallel.

I also had the top surface of the cross slide and the saddle rough ground to remove most of the hammer marks, just a cosmetic change.

I have some really thick (1/4" Turcite?) way material I could sent your way, let me know the dimensions and I can pop it your way.  No way I can send the sheets but I could cut some off for your cross slide ways.  You can probably run it through a planer to get it closer to dimension.

May 5th, 2018, 7:39 pm #6

hinermad wrote:
PoisonOakMagnet wrote: Looks more fun than my current projects - creating HF QRP antennas out of fibreglass poles, PVC pipe and junk I find on sale at the Home Depot.  Can't seem to get a good impedance yet.  Still working on it.
I'm not sure discussing QRP (low power radio transmitters for the non-ham folks) is allowed in Doc's presence. Terms like "horsepower" or "kiloton yield" seem to be preferred.

But seriously - what kind of antenna are you building? I haven't had much luck using PVC pipe for anything but coil forms. It's usually too floppy to support anything suitably long. But the elbows, tees, and other fittings are sure handy.

DE WD8CIV
So petawatt ham-radio rigs with ranges measured in lightyears are not discussed here? 

:(

*takes ball and goes home*

:P
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

May 6th, 2018, 2:00 am #7

hinermad wrote:

DE WD8CIV
Hams are often great experimenters, it's part of the calling.  "I could just fool around with a cell phone or the internet", right but we like a challenge, so we buy all sorts of fussy electronics bits, LMR240 coaxial cable and wind toroids (trying to remember if that was turn 29 or 30 .. or was it 28?) Picked up a Husky work light stand, removed top, and found it was a perfect 1" diameter.  Got 24 inches of ID 1 Inch PVC and then some 24 foot fibreglass telescopic poles off ebay (~9$ from PRC) which are about 1.025 OD, so some sanding was required on the end of the pole and inside the PVC pipe.  Enough so I can get about 2 inches of the pole end into the PVC pipe.  The rest is a tiny cleat and pulley from West Marine (you can find all sorts of great rigging stuff there for everything, not just boats)

I had it all set up in a pretty windy spot today and found my 40m setting on multiband vertical was b0rked (infinite SWR) but 20m was fine with about 1.57 SWR.  Good enough for listening to all those contesters going at it.

I had ordered a few poles back in Feb. which never arrived, so I ordered some from 4 seller accounts on ebay, they all arrived in about 10 days (all sellers are the same name and address in Shenzen)   So Verticals, Inverted V, and a few other designs I'll be working on.

73 K8SQB

May 6th, 2018, 12:43 pm #8

Not going to try a fractal at 40 meter?

May 6th, 2018, 2:58 pm #9

That sounds like an antenna I would try. Keep at it, you'll get there!
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

May 7th, 2018, 4:45 am #10

I am (somewhat) thankful I never got into ham radio. Unfortunately, I got into computers, networking, 3d printing, electronics, wood working, and the odd bit of sewing and photography, most of which are money sinks. :) (even the first two, which provide me the income to pour back out into the rest. :) )