MIG v. TIG?

MIG v. TIG?

Derek
Derek

June 26th, 2011, 12:04 am #1

It's high time to buy and get to work. A full explanation of the ups and downs of each would be greatly appreciated.

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

June 26th, 2011, 1:07 am #2

A MIG gun is pretty much point and shoot (once you get the settings correct), but it lacks the finesse of a TIG. The TIG requires more skill to use but gives you much more control. We can give you a better idea of the pros and cons if you tell us the kind of work you want to do with the welder. Also, if you have the time/money/local school where you can take a welding class, I would highly recommend doing so before just jumping right in.

dsergison
dsergison

June 26th, 2011, 2:04 pm #3

It's high time to buy and get to work. A full explanation of the ups and downs of each would be greatly appreciated.
if that's how you are going to be then a welder is not for you. they require a LITTLE effort and learning.

If you'll put forth that tinsey bit of effort then...

please visit any one of the numerous welding forums. the hobart forum "weldtalk" or perhaps weldingweb

and read some stickies, and search.

please don't jump right into wasting their time.

Derek
Derek

June 26th, 2011, 3:10 pm #4

A MIG gun is pretty much point and shoot (once you get the settings correct), but it lacks the finesse of a TIG. The TIG requires more skill to use but gives you much more control. We can give you a better idea of the pros and cons if you tell us the kind of work you want to do with the welder. Also, if you have the time/money/local school where you can take a welding class, I would highly recommend doing so before just jumping right in.
Ideally, I'll be starting up a small under-the-table business doing automotive welding, building tuned exhausts for cars and bikes. Consequently, I'm signed up for a quicky welding class that I'll be starting soon.

Derek
Derek

June 26th, 2011, 3:12 pm #5

if that's how you are going to be then a welder is not for you. they require a LITTLE effort and learning.

If you'll put forth that tinsey bit of effort then...

please visit any one of the numerous welding forums. the hobart forum "weldtalk" or perhaps weldingweb

and read some stickies, and search.

please don't jump right into wasting their time.
I'm signed up for a welding class already... The whole point in coming HERE was to get a quick run-down. Thank you, though, for the names of those sites. I do appreciate that. Just don't be so hasty.

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

June 26th, 2011, 3:45 pm #6

Basically, the MIG is the "hot glue gun" of the welding world - in the right place and dialed in right it does the right jog fast. But it takes some time and/or experience to select the right wire, set the heat, set the speed, etc. and until then it's not joining things. Once set the joint is as good as any other welding and sometimes better.

TIG allows a larger range of heat & fill and is capable of a larger range of jobs. You can TIG bronze, steel, aluminum, HSS - even simply use TIG as a source of heat for brazing.

I have a decent TIG setup (Miller 180SD) and a little Century MIG box - I generally use the MIG for "gotta put some metal there" kind of jobs and the TIG for the joining work.

Derek
Derek

June 26th, 2011, 3:58 pm #7

TIG would be your pick for doing steel pipe? I've read just about every "newbie" sticky on weldingweb so far... Some good stuff. However, it seems more and more like welding is one of those things that once you get a start on, you're on your own, and much of it is inductive learning.

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

June 26th, 2011, 4:18 pm #8

All sorts of things to do with steel pipe - pressure welding isn't going to use MIG (unless the approvals have changed it's stick), airframe isn't going to (that's pretty much all TIG), etc. Welding up some pipe for a hoop stand? Sure! Pipe as a trailer frame? Perfect!

Like I said: It depends on the job. If radiography is involved at any level MIG is not likely to be chosen. If the process is variable it's not likely to be chosen. If the job involves joining the same metals in the same thicknesses over and over again it's your man.

NOTE: These observations are from past experience, and things may have changed.

Derek
Derek

June 26th, 2011, 4:30 pm #9

It'll be exhaust pipng and sheet metal. The same thicknesses being joined together all day long, over and over. No radiography, nothing structural, nothing too complex, nada. Just simple crap for me. Thanks a ton.
-Derek

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

June 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm #10

Ideally, I'll be starting up a small under-the-table business doing automotive welding, building tuned exhausts for cars and bikes. Consequently, I'm signed up for a quicky welding class that I'll be starting soon.
The welding class should definitely help get you started.