Materials in search of a project

Materials in search of a project

GladMech
GladMech

December 31st, 2011, 6:46 pm #1

This forum has really been an inspiration to me.

Does anyone know a really cool use for 3 or 4 hundred 10" 40 tooth carbide saw blades? These were rated for cutting wood and aluminum. Most of them are only slightly dull. I can't throw them away.

MarkT
MarkT

December 31st, 2011, 6:55 pm #2

A really cool paper shredder? nt

MNSparky
MNSparky

December 31st, 2011, 7:02 pm #3

nt

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

December 31st, 2011, 10:51 pm #4

Does anyone know a really cool use for 3 or 4 hundred 10" 40 tooth carbide saw blades? These were rated for cutting wood and aluminum. Most of them are only slightly dull. I can't throw them away.
Seriously, if you have enough slightly dull blades there to make setting up an automatic sharpening machine and letting it run all day. It might run $3 to $5 a piece to sharpen the old blades rather than $35 to $50 each to replace them. And the savingsd add up if you can sharpen them three or four times before they start shedding teeth and need to be tossed.

The ONLY drawback I can see is that the cut diameter will be a few thousandths smaller after each sharpening - but if you need that kind of precision, there will be a way to zero out the saw to the exact cut depth of the installed blade anyway.

Where it becomes more of a financially inviable problem is when you have to start brazing on new saw teeth at $3 to $5 each where they've popped off, then another $5 sharpening the blade to get the new teeth down to the same size as the rest of the saw.

It's not that hard to make that choice either - On a $200 Metals cutting Cold Saw blade or a $300 36" sawmill size blade you have the sharpening service replace the missing teeth, on a $12 hardware store cheapie saw you toss the whole thing.

GladMech
GladMech

January 1st, 2012, 12:22 am #5

That was the point.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

January 1st, 2012, 12:27 am #6

Some contractor will glom onto them and you'll have some pocket change to build something REALLY nice.

Someone
Someone

January 1st, 2012, 2:04 am #7

Big planer setup?
ULTIMATE Ultimate Frisbee
Fido want to play fetch?
Fully automatic sawblade thrower? (Actually, by modifying a auto skeet thrower...)
Tie 'em on strings and hang them up for Halloween?
Coasters?
Skeet?
Cover the car in saw blades and take it to the Art Car Parade?
For the above, flat for driving around, upright for driving around aggressively?
Scrapyard?
Tell a friend he's won slightly dull sawblades for life?
Using a transfer printer, write your letters on them and send them through the mail?
As above, but in color for your Christmas cards?
Print what you really think about various Congressmen on them, then mail it to them?
Wallpaper?
Wallpaper in the shop?
Get a small, cheap file cabinet, put them in it, and label the drawers "Sawblades"? Friends will know you have OCD.
Get a van, put in a speaker playing "Pop goes the Weasel", and drive around new subdivisions selling them to construction crews?
Mail them to the guy on the Muppet show who throws fish, and tell him he needs to upgrade his act?

Need any more?

MarkT
MarkT

January 1st, 2012, 2:58 am #8

Since the blades are meant for wood or aluminum you should be able to stack them tight and grind aluminum with them. Not sure what you can do with ground aluminum other than pyrotechnics.

Beyond that I think I remember somebody using saw blades for knife blanks but I doubt the steel is ideal for that.

I really can't think of much else other than an art project.

Webwolf
Webwolf

January 2nd, 2012, 6:06 am #9

A long time ago, I saw plans for making tables out of a single piece of wood, by cutting kerfs into the wood so you could bend it.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

January 2nd, 2012, 6:16 am #10

That was the point.
I figured you're working at a Furniture Factory that has semi-automated gang saws for mass production, and they just change the blades on all the machines every two weeks whether they really need to be changed or not. That's the safest logical explanation for having a huge stack of slightly used blades around.

My recommendation still holds, go through and toss the ones missing teeth into another pile, and send the good ones out for resharpening. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Then you could reuse them a few times (till they throw a tooth or get too small) and save the company a ton, or pack them into 1-Dozen lots and E-Bay them off - put the money into the company Beer and Picnic fund. Or yours if they give them to you.