Making chips (albeit small ones)

Making chips (albeit small ones)

January 6th, 2018, 11:27 pm #1

I've had this old Craftsman horizontal bandsaw for over 5 years. Picked up a new blade, tires, belt, etc for it back then. I had to machine some new bushings for the pivot and such. Then it just sat.

Finally got around to finishing it up today. Not as pretty as Doc's machine restorations, but it works, and I have one less unfinished project making me feel guilty in the garage

https://youtu.be/7YwHclJrsus

January 7th, 2018, 10:44 pm #2

Handy little thing, but I think you need more weight on the uphill side. Even that small saw with a fine-tooth blade should have pretty much sailed right through that chunk of thin perf.

Ever since I got my DoAll vertical, I've barely touched my big Wellsaw horizontal. I know I shouldn't get rid of it- it can cut off longer material than the DoAll can- but it does take up a lot of room in my now-very-very-cramped shop.

Doc.

January 7th, 2018, 11:54 pm #3

It has a gas piston controlling speed. Being a maiden voyage I barely cracked it enough to let it drop. I wanted to make sure everything was doing its job first.

I do think it's going to need another, more aggressive blade though

January 9th, 2018, 8:39 pm #4

I've had this old Craftsman horizontal bandsaw for over 5 years. Picked up a new blade, tires, belt, etc for it back then. I had to machine some new bushings for the pivot and such. Then it just sat.

Finally got around to finishing it up today. Not as pretty as Doc's machine restorations, but it works, and I have one less unfinished project making me feel guilty in the garage

https://youtu.be/7YwHclJrsus
If you can find a friend with a blade welder you might consider getting some blade stock and making a bunch of blades as spares. I've found that the saw won't strip teeth from a blade that you still have a spare for but with strip all the teeth in a flash from a blade you can't easily replace.