Machining RFQ

Machining RFQ

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

February 17th, 2012, 2:45 pm #1

I can't seem to find these much anymore, so I am putting it to the guild as an RFQ.

I'm looking for someone to make a batch of 6061 aluminum parts from 0.75 thick plate. Without going into too many details here, I need someone capable of producing decent quantities (see below) affordably. This probably isn't a job for a garage machinist with a hobbyist manual mill.

looking for a quantity pricing break down for the following quantities:

I will provide the drawings, and even a STL file if your a cnc shop (you're on your own for tool paths though).

It's not something new or even innovative, but I'd like to keep it a bit on the down low as it's a hard to find part IMO and I'd like to assemble a stash of them for my own purposes.

Drop me a line and we can talk about it.

Shargo
Shargo

February 17th, 2012, 3:44 pm #2

Not that I have a shop (yet) so I'm not able make the parts so this is to give something to work with for those that can.

Location, where are you?
Outer dimensions (hopefully I could do it in my mill if it's under 145x125x95mm sometime this spring but it would be painfully slow)
Part complexity, only a profile (suited for water cutting), complex surfaces, threads...
Tolerances?
How fast do you need/want the parts?

That what I want before even thinking about a giving a rough estimate.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

February 17th, 2012, 3:53 pm #3

When I mentioned I can provide prints, I assumed that implied when an interested and capable party contacted me, I would then provide the specifics.

I wasn't asking for someone to email a price based on the info I provided. I was giving some general outlines so as to pre-qualify anyone that might be interested so I didn't waste the time of those who didn't have the capabilities.

If someone was interested, based on that info, then I can provide specifics via email regarding the project. As I mentioned, any sort of larger quantities it probably not something on a small hobbyist mill would want to undertake, but I could be wrong.

To answer some of your questions: I think the blanks could be water jet cut, leaving just a few finishing procedures to round them out.

Like I said, it's not a difficult project, nor is it innovative or even new. It's just something hard to find these days and I'd like to stock a bin of them.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 17th, 2012, 10:03 pm #4

There's a waterjet shop right up the street from me. They just installed the machine last year and are looking for business. I haven't used them yet myself, but I've had thousands of parts- literally- made by the WJ shop up in Anchorage, and I've been waiting for a job to cross my desk to try the local guys.

Yes, my shop is mostly manual, but that hasn't stopped me. I make my 'Mag adapters 50 or 100 at a time, and the first big job I did with the new lathe turret was make something like 60 or 80 Flashpoints.

Doc.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

February 17th, 2012, 10:10 pm #5

I figured you could handle a volume job like this, especially with what I'm looking to do. Just didn't think you had the time these days

I'll drop you a line... likely Monday when I'm back at my desk for the day and looking for a diversion...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 19th, 2012, 12:37 pm #6

"Nobody ever sends him anything. He's always too busy!"

'Course I'm busy. I'm busy 'cause I look for and bring in more work. If nobody sent me anything because I was too busy, I wouldn't be busy, would I?

Doc.