Looking for large arbor sawblade

Looking for large arbor sawblade

Gunslinger
Gunslinger

April 21st, 2012, 5:39 am #1

So i have spent the last month in ukraine and made friends with a guy that has a very interesting woodcarving shop full of homebrew tablesaws and other pretty cool stuff.bthe guy actually handmakes piles of woodcutting bit to custom makes door , molding,etc.
Anyways the guy explained to me that he is in a bind and looking some new blades for his main table saw as the old one has reached a point that it is pointless to try resharpening the points and his reserve blades are all in a similar condition. I and a friend said we would acquire him some replacements.

Now my fix is that the sawblades have a 2" arbor and the closest thing i can seem to find on mcmaster carr is a 1" arbor blade.
So anybody got suggestions. I know the old blades were made by bosch, supposedly but that was likely during the soviet union.

Also the Overall diameter is not very important. As the blades we looked at were about 13 inch but his tablesaw had plenty of clearance for sawblades probably twice that size.

Thanks in advance,
GS

MarkT
MarkT

April 21st, 2012, 2:40 pm #2

Can't you just cut a larger hole in an existing sawblade? It would have to be precision of course but I would think a machinist could do it.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

April 21st, 2012, 4:31 pm #3

So i have spent the last month in ukraine and made friends with a guy that has a very interesting woodcarving shop full of homebrew tablesaws and other pretty cool stuff.bthe guy actually handmakes piles of woodcutting bit to custom makes door , molding,etc.
Anyways the guy explained to me that he is in a bind and looking some new blades for his main table saw as the old one has reached a point that it is pointless to try resharpening the points and his reserve blades are all in a similar condition. I and a friend said we would acquire him some replacements.

Now my fix is that the sawblades have a 2" arbor and the closest thing i can seem to find on mcmaster carr is a 1" arbor blade.
So anybody got suggestions. I know the old blades were made by bosch, supposedly but that was likely during the soviet union.

Also the Overall diameter is not very important. As the blades we looked at were about 13 inch but his tablesaw had plenty of clearance for sawblades probably twice that size.

Thanks in advance,
GS
10 seconds into google turned up a few answers that may help:

http://woodworking.com/forum/showthread ... saw-blades

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

April 22nd, 2012, 3:24 pm #4

Thanks in advance,
GS
You don't want to put on a blade so large that the tips a moving much more than 13K SFM, so check the RPM of the saw motor before ordering blades. If you don't know how to calculate SFM here's a site that goes into it:

http://www.dekalbsaw.com/sawdiameter.html

That being said the blades are available from a number of suppliers, here's one that popped up in a quick googling:

http://www.sawservicesupply.com/default ... saw-blades

Most makers of saw blades are happy to supply whatever arbor hole size that you want. Note that a lot of non-carbide tipped blades are through hardened and made of an alloy similar to L6 (think "knife blade") - not something I'd want to try and enlarge outside a decent shop (in mine I'd try boring but likely end up using a toolpost grinder and nibbling away until it was at size).

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

May 1st, 2012, 5:57 am #5

if the material is hardened all the way, you need something that laughs at hard. Plasma, EDM, Abrasive Waterjet, Laser all should work to varying degrees. All depends on what he has locally available.

The fun part is keeping the hole centered properly, off by a lot and all hell breaks loose when you get it up to speed. Off by a little and the kerf is going to be nasty.