looking for flash light recomendations

looking for flash light recomendations

eisch
eisch

December 3rd, 2011, 3:25 pm #1

ok here is what I want..

I am a electrician so I will have this with me at all times in a holster. metal will be fine. all my other tools are metal and I'm not dead yet...

would like led but needs to be super brite... 200 lumen minimum maybe 300+
probably dont need rechargeable. to keep price under control.

would prefer small and thin if a choice is avalable.

I have been using cheep multi led junk flash lights and am not impressed.

one of my workers has a rayovak roughneck with a 3 watt single led that is nice but I think I can do better..

not interested in building my own at this time.. BUT if I do like it I may modify my dewalt 18volt flex light to led... bet I could get some good wattage out of that..

thanks...

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

December 3rd, 2011, 4:46 pm #2

The AA-sized Maglite with an LED conversion kit. I'm using one and it does a fine job.

They also sell the XL50 3-AAA LED light.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

December 3rd, 2011, 5:44 pm #3

is quite good for the $10 or whatever it costs.

The mag XL50 uses the same LED, but it's a better package for heat so it's run at much higher wattage. Again, also pretty cheap, but I think it's a little clumsier to handle.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

December 3rd, 2011, 5:51 pm #4

ok here is what I want..

I am a electrician so I will have this with me at all times in a holster. metal will be fine. all my other tools are metal and I'm not dead yet...

one of my workers has a rayovak roughneck with a 3 watt single led that is nice but I think I can do better..

not interested in building my own at this time.. BUT if I do like it I may modify my dewalt 18volt flex light to led... bet I could get some good wattage out of that..

thanks...
Maglite Mini-Mag 2AA LED has plenty of power for working in corners, and the batteries will go for months, and the newest ones are three stage - Bright, Dim, and Flash for flagging traffic. Though it will drop off the full brightness in a few weeks, so you put in fresh batteries.

And NiteIze has a nice belt holster that holds the AA Mini-Mag, a Leatherman Wave or other Multi-Tool, a front pocket for spare batteries and a pen or two, and a big pocket on the back for a voltage detector, a few Sharpies, a Carpenter's Pencil... The usual crap you need.

Hell, half the time I don't need my main tool pouch just to figure out where the problems are - 'Cept when it's energized, of course, Leatherman tools are kinda bare Stainless.

ta2maki
ta2maki

December 3rd, 2011, 5:56 pm #5

The AA-sized Maglite with an LED conversion kit. I'm using one and it does a fine job.

They also sell the XL50 3-AAA LED light.
I've bought 6 of the converted minimags(I lose tools a lot) and have been quite happy with them. However, there are different kits and some of them aren't so great. Go with the Terralux kit(TLE-5EX) if you are going this route. I'm also not a fan of official maglite LED flashlights, they are never the brightest. The terralux converted mini-maglite is about 140 lumens.

There is a similar aluminum bodied flashlight by Terralux that is rated to 300 lumens, the TLF-3002AA(runs 30-40 bucks). Don't have any experience with this one, as I've been happy with the mag conversions, which can be had for low as $20 if you find a deal.

KevinB
KevinB

December 3rd, 2011, 7:09 pm #6

ok here is what I want..

thanks...
If price is no object look at the Streamlight or Surefire LED lights.

I carry one or the other daily.

I use rechargeable CR123 and they last a good long while.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl

http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=2

There are lots of "tactical" LED flashlights with CREE led's in them that should fit the bill.

Netduke
Netduke

December 3rd, 2011, 7:53 pm #7

ok here is what I want..

thanks...
280 lumens around the same size as a 2 AA LED Mag

Jeb Hoge
Jeb Hoge

December 3rd, 2011, 8:40 pm #8

ok here is what I want..

thanks...
I have a 3-D cell LED Maglite. I blinked it into my eyes at arm's length in a dark room once & went wobbly at the knees. I started calling it the Death Star during a camping trip.

attic rat
attic rat

December 3rd, 2011, 9:30 pm #9

ok here is what I want..

thanks...
This information is a few years old, because I bought one of these, used it for more than a year and liked it, so I bought more for Christmas gifts for my nephews two years ago. Mine is still going strong, with only an occasional change of batteries.

Their 2-cell "AA" battery flashlight model SP2209HJ has a 3 Watt LED which provides more than enough light for the repair situations I've handled, far superior to their conventional lamp flashlights, and comes with a belt holster.
It is also made in the United States, which I appreciate.
As of two years ago, it was selling for $20. It does not include blinkers or variable brightness, which later versions apparently include. I haven't yet found a situation in which I had any use for such extras, and in fact find them annoying, but to each his own.

When the battery becomes weak the light does not dim gradually, it simply shuts off. The warning you get is that the flashlight will light for a moment when first turned on, and then goes out. Keeping spare batteries in your toolbox is a useful habit.

Anon1
Anon1

December 3rd, 2011, 11:17 pm #10

ok here is what I want..

thanks...
I'm an EMT, and a bar bouncer (security) in the summertime. This light outdoes anything I've seen others carry with such a compact size. (I carry it in my top pocket at work)

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=159

I'll definitely be looking to put one of these on my fire helmet.