Limiting paintball speed but still having it break

Limiting paintball speed but still having it break

Eric
Eric

April 9th, 2012, 6:39 am #1

What is the slowest speed you can set and still have a semi-reliable break using a standard paint ball?

I know there are a ton of variables, just looking for a best guess.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

April 9th, 2012, 7:06 am #2

I once had a buddy of mine, who at the time was rather asthmatic, blow a ball, with his mouth, through an old rifled barrel (meaning it had real lands and grooves, so nowhere near a perfect seal) which hit me on a puffy, down jacket... and it broke. Range was probably six feet or so, and it was cheap PowerBall.

No bounce, it didn't crack and fall off leaving a small mark, I mean it made a full splatmark on my soft jacket. We were both pretty surprised.

On the other hand, there was that one time we saw some Polar Ice bounce off of concrete...

It all depends. Does it hit on the seam? Does it have a weak seam? Is it brittle paint? Is it cold? Has it been stored properly? Has it had a chance to soak up some humidity? Is it hitting something soft? Something hard?

I've had a ball fly out of nowhere, moving slow enough to catch, land on a fold of my jersey and break, and I've had nearly point-blank shots bounce off my mask. You never know.

Doc.

zapf
zapf

April 9th, 2012, 7:26 am #3

What is the slowest speed you can set and still have a semi-reliable break using a standard paint ball?

like, it really REALLY depends. mostly on the quality/brittleness of the paint. I've seen paint that broke on the concrete floor falling off a 4 foot high table. it shot well out of my matrix, but shot like crap (chops, barrel breaks) out of the local field's rental ions. I've also seen paint that wouldn't break while being run over by a car. also depends on how the paint was stored, as paint stored in a humid environment will be softer and less likely to break. however, in my experience most paint (not the high end stuff, but the mid-grade that most fields stock) will stop breaking on target reliably around 250 fps.

hp_lovecraft
hp_lovecraft

April 9th, 2012, 4:58 pm #4

I once had a buddy of mine, who at the time was rather asthmatic, blow a ball, with his mouth, through an old rifled barrel (meaning it had real lands and grooves, so nowhere near a perfect seal) which hit me on a puffy, down jacket... and it broke. Range was probably six feet or so, and it was cheap PowerBall.

No bounce, it didn't crack and fall off leaving a small mark, I mean it made a full splatmark on my soft jacket. We were both pretty surprised.

On the other hand, there was that one time we saw some Polar Ice bounce off of concrete...

It all depends. Does it hit on the seam? Does it have a weak seam? Is it brittle paint? Is it cold? Has it been stored properly? Has it had a chance to soak up some humidity? Is it hitting something soft? Something hard?

I've had a ball fly out of nowhere, moving slow enough to catch, land on a fold of my jersey and break, and I've had nearly point-blank shots bounce off my mask. You never know.

Doc.
At the field I worked at back in the 90s, when we were bored, we would play "Blow ball", which like you said, we could only use barrels and had to blow the paint out.

With the paint we used at the time, we only had brakes on masks. It was rare to have brakes anywhere else. Depending on barrel length, we could usualy hit 150-175fps. Looking back, we were probobly lucky that nobody SUCKED IN a ball, and choked!

Likewise, we would sometimes use sling shots. The cheap ones could get up to 210-230. That was around the limit where we could get the paint to brake on "soft" targets like people. Not always, but the majority.

The difference between thin and thick shell paint is everything though. I remember back 20 years ago, RP used to make special "blowback formula" called RP Super-Shell. It usually bounced at 300fps!!

Kolea
Kolea

April 11th, 2012, 10:36 pm #5

Everyone knows its 227.3 fps, regardless of variables. Except if its open bolt or closed bolt.

/thread?

Kolea