LED white going to buy, need a bit of input.

LED white going to buy, need a bit of input.

IDN
IDN

August 14th, 2012, 11:53 pm #1

I am building a glow in the dark disc charger for disc-golf. I cannot find a good enough flash light. besides I need a large surface of them.
Should I buy LEDS off ebay, I think I remember a discussion about them, but cannot find a post in the search.
So I'm wondering if one of you guys has a source, or something.
I really don't know what kind of resistors I need yet or what kind of circuit to design. I figured I'd start by finding what kind of LED I can get.

I'm thinking of say 200 LEDS Tottenham, so that there will be 100 on each side of the disc, or if I have two discs, each will get a charge.

I think Its a good idea, and I need to get it done, so I can play more night golf (glow round).

any input is great

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

August 15th, 2012, 12:05 am #2

Go UltraViolet! UV will charge glow in the dark stuff a LOT faster and brighter.

smorizio
smorizio

August 15th, 2012, 12:58 am #3

I am building a glow in the dark disc charger for disc-golf. I cannot find a good enough flash light. besides I need a large surface of them.
Should I buy LEDS off ebay, I think I remember a discussion about them, but cannot find a post in the search.
I really don't know what kind of resistors I need yet or what kind of circuit to design. I figured I'd start by finding what kind of LED I can get.

I'm thinking of say 200 LEDS Tottenham, so that there will be 100 on each side of the disc, or if I have two discs, each will get a charge.

I think Its a good idea, and I need to get it done, so I can play more night golf (glow round).

any input is great
look on ebay for 12v led for auto and boats. they will all ready be wired for you. you could use a portable jump starter to power the led for a long time. if your going to use high power white or uv. i would pick up a dark color plastic tub larger then the disk. i would glue the led to the bottom of the bucket. so when the bucket was turned over it could be placed on top of the disk.recharge it and you wont lose your night vision. another trick could be to sow some of these led to the back of some weight lifting gloves.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-SMD-24-LED-M ... 3cc9c1ac3d
then use an ipod strap to hold a 9v. then have a short wire from the battery to the led. players would then light up near them.
you could also use car dome led.

Deckmaster
Deckmaster

August 15th, 2012, 1:09 am #4

any input is great
I would hit uphttp://www.superbrightleds.com/ for side mounted LED ribbon such as found herehttp://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flex ... or,UV,3,31: and set them up on some kind of spiral mounting.

smorizio
smorizio

August 15th, 2012, 1:14 am #5

any input is great
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-High-Power- ... 231f712faa

pick up power bus for ccd or car audio.hook a battery to it then put those i link on top of a pole. should be able to light a good section of the field up. I have two those on order that are rgb and have the color changing remote with them. I be able to light my case mod up real bright.

50blues
50blues

August 15th, 2012, 3:06 am #6

any input is great
Here is a link to the guy on ebay I use. http://stores.ebay.com/HKJE-Led-Lamp-Center?_rdc=1

His user id is jeledhk. They will be direct shipped from hong kong, but they come within a week or so.

here is a link to a page with some led calculators. They are very handy.

Figure out what you want for a power source, find the leds you like, then enter all that into the calc. to fugure how many leds you can run in one string and what resisters you need.

Latrans
Latrans

August 15th, 2012, 4:16 am #7

any input is great
If you're playing with LED's, this thing has some nice info in it:http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/slyt349a/slyt3 ... ookbook-pr

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

August 15th, 2012, 7:20 am #8

Go UltraViolet! UV will charge glow in the dark stuff a LOT faster and brighter.
White LEDs are just blue LEDs plus a phosphor which absorbs blue and emits red/yellow to balance the spectrum. Better to just bombard the disc with pure blue light in the first place.

Untraviolet LEDs exist, but are expensive and short-lived, and aren't necessary for this job. You can do some reasearch, but I think blue light will be short enough wavelength to excite the phosphor (such reactions always convert to longer wavelength, i.e. lower-energy, photons). Once you're past the threshold, number of photons matters, not their energy.

The usual way to power a lot of LEDs is to arrange them in a series string and run a regulated current through them off a high voltage supply. Individual resistors are a lot less efficient, but might be simpler if you have power to burn.

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

August 15th, 2012, 1:57 pm #9

Here is a link to the guy on ebay I use. http://stores.ebay.com/HKJE-Led-Lamp-Center?_rdc=1

His user id is jeledhk. They will be direct shipped from hong kong, but they come within a week or so.

here is a link to a page with some led calculators. They are very handy.

Figure out what you want for a power source, find the leds you like, then enter all that into the calc. to fugure how many leds you can run in one string and what resisters you need.
Pick up a few of those handheld CFL blacklights. We had an event that needed UV for fraud prevention, and nothing came close to matching the output in an affordable package.

ta2maki
ta2maki

August 16th, 2012, 1:27 am #10

White LEDs don't work for glow in the dark paintballs. I'm guessing similar failures for other glow in the dark items. I'm not sure about the blue though. At least for paintball, UV is the only way to go.