Latest non-progress video for my MR2 project!

Latest non-progress video for my MR2 project!

March 3rd, 2017, 3:02 am #1

https://www.patreon.com/Siegecraft

If you've been keeping up, you know this one doesn't end well.
I hope you guys don't mind me linking through the Patreon page.

-Hans

March 3rd, 2017, 7:10 am #2

Because at 1:40, it says February 2015. I think you meant 2017.

Try the Alum on the tap & bolt. Build up a little wall using modeling clay to keep it localized. I don't think you have anything more to lose.

March 3rd, 2017, 2:11 pm #3

Too late to fix it now, 2017 not 2015.

Can't use the Alum though, took a closer look, and I can't tell if the threads in the head are in aluminum or in an insert.
Not sure the term but the bolt hole is also a raised locating pin that's drilled through and is definitely not aluminum.

-Hans

March 4th, 2017, 9:46 am #4

https://www.patreon.com/Siegecraft

If you've been keeping up, you know this one doesn't end well.
I hope you guys don't mind me linking through the Patreon page.

-Hans
What's the current plan of attack for the broken bolt?

One option is to look for a shop in your area that has what's known as a "tap burner"- it's basically an old fashioned, coarse EDM machine, mainly used for exactly what the name implies, spark-eroding out broken taps, bolts and EZ-outs.

The vast majority of them however, need the head loose- it has to be mounted in the machine. A few, however, have the capability to be mounted to the part.

It's certainly worth asking around.

And, if it turns out you have to pull the head, then by golly pull the head. You can take the opportunity to give it a good cleaning, scrape out some of the carbon, give the valves and seats a quick lap to restore a bit of sealing, and get a fresh head gasket in there so you hopefully won't have to worry about that blowing out.

And good lord, am I still your one and only Patron? Hey you guys, throw the poor boy a bone, would you?

Doc.

March 4th, 2017, 3:32 pm #5

I'd like to avoid pulling the head if possible, because I need to keep the budget under control. If it has to get done though I'll do it. Though my preference is to wait until I can get my spare engine built down the road. Good topic for the next video and a member only Patreon post! Trying to avoid spending money twice.

The current plan is carbide. I don't believe I've touched the threads in the head at all on the previous attempt. So I've turned a drill guide that fits over the locating sleeve on the head, and picked up a couple 1/8" OD carbide burrs and bits. If I can get a good centered hole there's some hope I can get the EZ out removed and just remove the damn bolt and get back to re-assembly. If that doesn't work the next step is pulling the head. Going to give it a try either today or tomorrow.

Sounds like a GREAT thing, again, as a Patreon exclusive content piece.

-Hans

March 4th, 2017, 9:36 pm #6

Working on it now, taking a short break to upload another update, and heading back to the shop in a few minutes to continue.