Landships...

Landships...

January 1st, 2018, 10:30 am #1

https://m.facebook.com/groups/141774348 ... _sidenav=1

Figured some people here would get a kick old of this idea. Not even close to making a mess on it, but getting some networking up on it.

January 1st, 2018, 11:54 am #2

Inaccessible to those of us that don't Facebook.

Doc.

January 1st, 2018, 3:38 pm #3

If I bothered to have hosting, this would be a screenshot of the 2 posts, sorry Doc:

This page was created to share the absurd idea of the Landship Project, a technology sport consisting of building "landships" with which to simulate naval gun combat with long range, large bore air cannon.

This may be of special appeal to technology schools and clubs, where the construction offers a very different challenge to the usual educational challenges.crazy rich people who need an expensive hobby, and other groups who want to have fun with it.

Happy new year, as part of the resolution to get projects farther along, and perhaps even far enough they can make money or at least happen, we have a page for one of those. So here's what happens here:

Take a school bus. Armor it up stylish like, put big air cannon on it, and take it out somewhere with a bunch of others, and shoot giant paintball at each other. Put footage on YouTube to show people how much fun we had. Repeat when the bank accounts have recovered. You can even use the fabrication or system development for college classes, in welding, machining, or engineering courses. Heck, we need some of that anyway, and plenty of room for some papers to be written that wouldn't need any lab work(thus easier) but will provide much needed info to get things started.

We can compare this some with Megabots, but a lot easier than mechs. We just need a bigger field.

January 1st, 2018, 6:55 pm #4

Burning Man? NT

January 2nd, 2018, 5:02 pm #5

... unless special care was taken to restore the playa and collect all the MOOP. (or use MILES gear, aka laser tag)

January 2nd, 2018, 11:09 pm #6

https://m.facebook.com/groups/141774348 ... _sidenav=1

Figured some people here would get a kick old of this idea. Not even close to making a mess on it, but getting some networking up on it.
Instead of a single large vehicle taking shots at a brace of smaller vehicles, one has large vehicles taking potshots at each other.
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

January 2nd, 2018, 11:15 pm #7

... unless special care was taken to restore the playa and collect all the MOOP. (or use MILES gear, aka laser tag)
I must not be in the right circles to know what "moop" means.

Aside from needing family friendly venues, I can't see trusting some of the people who go to Burning Man with large caliber air cannon.

As another aside, the ammo would be compressed chalk. I'm thinking that should be fairly environmentally friendly, and will allow calibration of frangible shells. Part of the design challenge is needing to design for a larger gun to get a larger gun, even though they're color coded for shot calling.

January 2nd, 2018, 11:26 pm #8

Instead of a single large vehicle taking shots at a brace of smaller vehicles, one has large vehicles taking potshots at each other.
If you get a big enough space, you can play with fleet dynamics and actual tactics, with scouting, screening, etc.

January 3rd, 2018, 12:18 am #9

Aside from needing family friendly venues, I can't see trusting some of the people who go to Burning Man with large caliber air cannon.

As another aside, the ammo would be compressed chalk. I'm thinking that should be fairly environmentally friendly, and will allow calibration of frangible shells. Part of the design challenge is needing to design for a larger gun to get a larger gun, even though they're color coded for shot calling.
Probably not correct but it makes life more fun that way. People always wondered why I smiled a lot in business meetings.

January 3rd, 2018, 2:06 pm #10

They invaded Spain in the 8th century.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman