Kinda OT: Any value to an old Macintosh?

Kinda OT: Any value to an old Macintosh?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

June 30th, 2011, 9:08 pm #1

A fellow has an old Mac he no longer uses. It's the old-old-old Mac with the little built-in screen. (I don't know any details, I haven't yet seen it.)

He says it works fine, and he used it for some very basic word processing up until just a few years ago- apparently the main reason he stopped is the printer no longer prints properly. Like the "ribbon" (his term) or whatever has dried up, you can barely read the text.

But anyway, he figured it was so old it's junk, and was going to just toss it. Packrat me automatically launched into "there's got to be SOME use for it!" mode, and figured I'd ask around.

It's a complete, functional original-style Macintosh, with the original one-button mouse, keyboard, a printer of some sort (Apple, I don't know what kind) and an apparently rare add-on CRT monitor that he says is 17". There's some software and documentation (as in an owner's manual and the like, I assume) and half a box of paper for the printer.

I see there's a stack of them on eBay, for anywhere from $400 to $19.95 (as parts) but I don't know if they actually sell or not.

As usual, I hate to see it thrown away, but he says it needs to go, and the last thing I need is to add it to the pile in the attic.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? I suppose we could hand it off to the local secondhand store...

Doc.

DragonSlayer
DragonSlayer

June 30th, 2011, 9:24 pm #2

Someone brought one in on the TV show Pawn Stars and they said people make them into fish tanks.
http://www.jagshouse.com/macquarium.html

TheElf
TheElf

June 30th, 2011, 9:28 pm #3

A fellow has an old Mac he no longer uses. It's the old-old-old Mac with the little built-in screen. (I don't know any details, I haven't yet seen it.)

He says it works fine, and he used it for some very basic word processing up until just a few years ago- apparently the main reason he stopped is the printer no longer prints properly. Like the "ribbon" (his term) or whatever has dried up, you can barely read the text.

But anyway, he figured it was so old it's junk, and was going to just toss it. Packrat me automatically launched into "there's got to be SOME use for it!" mode, and figured I'd ask around.

It's a complete, functional original-style Macintosh, with the original one-button mouse, keyboard, a printer of some sort (Apple, I don't know what kind) and an apparently rare add-on CRT monitor that he says is 17". There's some software and documentation (as in an owner's manual and the like, I assume) and half a box of paper for the printer.

I see there's a stack of them on eBay, for anywhere from $400 to $19.95 (as parts) but I don't know if they actually sell or not.

As usual, I hate to see it thrown away, but he says it needs to go, and the last thing I need is to add it to the pile in the attic.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? I suppose we could hand it off to the local secondhand store...

Doc.
What model is it? (n/t)

Maker of Toys
Maker of Toys

June 30th, 2011, 10:13 pm #4

I once saw a mac that had been made into a water cooler. . . first time I'd encountered Peltier junction refrigeration.

it's probably a Mac SE (the one with the 20/40MB internal HDD) with what sounds like an ImageWriter II that needs a ribbon re-ink kit put into it.

The IWII was one of the last dot-matrix printers that Apple built-- they made a scad of them, and they were pretty nice because they were built like tanks with a near-bullet-proof print head and a nice, big cloth ribbon cartridge. Very popular with the school computer lab and professional office crowd because they just ran and ran and ran.

They would make quite nice (for their day, at least) text.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

July 1st, 2011, 2:28 am #5

Doc.
Probably worth some novelty if it still works, but for practical things, it'll drive you nuts in the bargain.

I wonder if it runs on floppies or has an internal HD? Floppies are DOA, your local office supply store MAY have some, but the quality of them might be questionable at best. Your PC's software would be the equivalent of a square peg meeting a round hole, which equals incompatibility. It won't play music for they were obsolete when the MP3 codec hit the net.

Being a word processor is about the best it can do at this stage, and getting ribbons for Imagewriter II's are a gamble. Sure, they are out there, but the majority of the resellers have them in their clearance bins. Once they are gone, that's it.

At this point in its life, I'd suggest making a water bong, aquarium or a planter out of it, it's obsolete and fossilizing even as we speak.

akpirate
akpirate

July 1st, 2011, 3:58 am #6

Doc.
Best find a recycling center for those poor computers.

I got 3 old PCs dating back to 2k. hard drive failure did them all in. I suppose you could reprogram them to do some cool robotic type stuff, but otherwise eh, they were once cutting edge stuff.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

July 1st, 2011, 11:41 am #7

Doc.
I can't remember the 'add on' 17" screen, so that might be a rare Apple item, and could fetch a bit if you can find a collector willing to pay the shipping cost.

The rest depends of working condition and 'exterior finish'...
(Sometimes, just removing excess stickers and using a proper 'foam type' cleaner to clean up a case can make it much more saleable. On the other hand, some stickers, like those from the reseller, or a company 'inventory sticker' can also improve the price, as it can give collectors a bit of info on the item's history.)

And of course, which model it is...

seehttp://www.apple-history.com for a definitive list.

No, I'm not interested, much for the reason that I have 'a few' of the models in that shape, and also, shipping across the pond is REALLY expensive...

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

July 1st, 2011, 2:22 pm #8

Some techs found out how to hack a Mac and add on an external monitor, making their desktop bigger and easier to work with.

Naturally Apple got their collective noses bent out of shape, but it died down once they realized that they could make a profit by adding on a proprietary video plug and charging 200% over cost for it....

Then adapters hit the market, opening things up for legendary monitors like the first monitor that could swivel 90 degrees, changing the desktop's orientation from landscape to portrait, making a boon for publishers everywhere.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

July 1st, 2011, 3:08 pm #9

Doc.
You may want to see this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRJ649ICPU&NR=1

OmniMech
OmniMech

July 1st, 2011, 6:55 pm #10

Doc.
A while back, my folks got one of those, and some plans downloaded from the 'net...or bought them from the net...time makes ones mind a liiiiittle bit fuzzy.

Anyways, it took some work...some panes of glass...silicone sealant...water...a circulating pump...some colored gravel...and hey-presto!...one Mac Fish Tank.