Just Plain Cool Stuff Thread

July 9th, 2018, 8:53 am #1

Anything goes, but keep it clean, nonpolitical, and fun.

I'll start off with this freakin' amazing "invisible man" cosplay.

Seriously, check it out. It's frikkin' brilliant.

Doc.

July 9th, 2018, 4:31 pm #2

Okay, many here might remember I did a post not to long ago of a tour of the Berkeley/Lawrence Livermore Laboratories Machine shop ( ).  What I did NOT know is the tour was largely given to the none other THE Tom Lipton!  And for those poor souls that are not aware of just who Mr. Lipton is.  Mister Lipton is a Master Machinist, with his own shop ( http://www.oxtoolco.com/ ), author of several Machining books and (something I should have thought of) of around 500 Youtube videos ( https://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco/videos ). 

His opening video is fascinating with the look through his sketch book,

<iframe width="424" height="238" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/khyYKXALvEg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

July 9th, 2018, 6:20 pm #3

Hums 'Eye of the Tiger'...   
What about an F5 painted with tiger stripes?

(It was part of 'project Eye of Tiger', being the flying testbed for the Naval Strike Missile that's replacing our old Penguins. And the NSM is turning into Joint Strike Missile.

Feeling thirsty?  

The soda is real, any superpowers is... not...  

Doc and Roger probably already knows how to throw a hand grenade...
For everyone else, here's an instructional video.

It's in Norwegian, but I believe most people will understand wat is said by studying the gestures...  

July 10th, 2018, 1:27 am #4

Snowtroll wrote: Doc and Roger probably already knows how to throw a hand grenade...

It's in Norwegian, but I believe most people will understand wat is said by studying the gestures...  
Monty Python lives! Well at least for a brief moment.

July 10th, 2018, 6:08 am #5

It's a comedy group that was kalled KLM
(Kirkvaag, Lystad and Mjøen, their last names)
Sure, they were inspired by Monty Python, but they made it a little bit more down to earth, a little less... absurd...  and made it work!

In 1985 they won 'The Special price of the City of Montreaux' for the show 'Diplomatix' 
(english speaking version can be found on YT. )
And in 1994 they won the 'SIlver Rose' for funniest show for 'The Rise and Fall of an Olympic Village'
(can also be found on YT)

July 10th, 2018, 11:29 am #6

Snowtroll, not far of the truth with a conscipt army, speaking from my own experience in Sweden ;-)

Going a bit ot, but speaking of Norwegian comedians, if you have ever seen the movie Kong Curling the dog in the movie is actually my dog :-)

July 10th, 2018, 11:33 am #7

And to add something cool to this thread, check this guy out:
https://www.youtube.com/user/wintergatan2000

He handbuilt a kind of self playing instrument a couple years ago (Marble Machine), having very little experience building something like that. He got it working enough to make a pretty awesome video that went viral, but it wasn't very reliable. Currently he is making a new version, actuallly using CAD, CNC (both a router and 3d printed parts), welding etc. and you can follow his journey learning it all. Pretty interesting

July 10th, 2018, 12:27 pm #8

I found this petty cool

one thing if you are going to do something like this use a real damn receiver/transmitter so you dont have to be at 50m of a 727 :/

-R

July 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm #9

Snowtroll wrote:Doc and Roger probably already knows how to throw a hand grenade...

First of all, i love the exasperated pose the officer (Kirkvaag?) strikes when the pin is thrown rather than the grenade.

Second of all, it strikes me that the audience laughter on this video is more genuine than the kind of rehearsed/laugh box laughter we get in various "comedy" shows these days.

BTW, the video is part of a larger set of skits(?) that include stuff like a military bucket brigade supposedly moving a fjord...

July 10th, 2018, 2:31 pm #10

Here's the original Marble Machine;

The one he's building now promises to be even more awesome.