Interesting bear encounter

Interesting bear encounter

April 8th, 2017, 1:40 am #1

While this is not a polar bear story, it's a story of my family traveling to the Smokey's for Spring Break. While entering the national forest, we ran into some unexpected traffic. As we got to the front of the line, we discovered why. Two youngish black bears were digging at some rocks on the side of a hill. Everyone was stopping to get some pictures. And, why not, we did too.

Unfortunately they turned out rather blurry.

April 8th, 2017, 1:47 am #2

It seemed to be an unusual occurrence since for the rest of the week as I traveled that road (the Gatlinburg Bypass, about a mile off of US-441) the only other wildlife I saw in the area were a couple of wild turkey on the last day of our trip.

April 9th, 2017, 9:23 am #3

While this is not a polar bear story, it's a story of my family traveling to the Smokey's for Spring Break. While entering the national forest, we ran into some unexpected traffic. As we got to the front of the line, we discovered why. Two youngish black bears were digging at some rocks on the side of a hill. Everyone was stopping to get some pictures. And, why not, we did too.

... It's fairly rare that any encounter with a bear can be called uninteresting.

A few years back, I got to go on a tour through Denali National Park, and saw, among other things, some grizzlies. I had a fancy camera and an image-stabilized 300mm lens, and even then, some of the best shots I could get were dinky:

(Yes, those are 'reduced' for web upload, but they were mostly cropped to size, not shrunk to size. I could have digitally enlarged them, but it wouldn't have made them any clearer.)

Doc.

April 9th, 2017, 7:15 pm #4

Finally home and got to see the pics my wife took. These bears were about 50 feet from the road, but elevated on the hill about 20 to 30 feet. So it didn't seem that close. Close enough for some decent pictures, though. (Also, sorry for the large size.)

http://imgur.com/a/RMKQL

""

""

April 9th, 2017, 9:58 pm #5

Back when I was a kid my family had an Interesting bear encounter. Me and my siblings where in the over cab sleeper of my parents pickup camper wail my parents where in the cab driving. We where driving down the highway at 55mph to go to Yosemite National Forest for our annual vacation. What us kids saw was just a very large blur that we came within inches from hitting. It happened so fast that my father did not even have the time to even try to hit the brakes. As I am sure you have guessed what it was that we came within inches from hitting. It was a fully grown black bear and one that was not on the smaller size. If we had hit it full on it was possible that I would not be here today to be telling you about it. Thankfully everyone came away from it with an interesting story. My family came out from it with a bear encounter story and the bear came out from it with a story about the time that he was almost hit by one of them large metal animals.