Inspecting used equipment

Inspecting used equipment

STEVE RONIN
STEVE RONIN

August 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm #1

Hello All & DOC...

I've been looking at some used Tippman 98 Customs on the local Craigslist.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 10235.html
Other than "Do they function?"
What would be 5 things I should look for to determine condition?
I'm certain there are probably dozens, but how about just 5 simple things that a untrained civilian can look for?
Or if some site has a list (and they probably do...) post me a link, please.
Thanks Much!

-Steve

Penguin
Penguin

August 8th, 2012, 8:22 pm #2

If you plan on taking the markers apart before buying I'd suggest bringing an exploded view of the marker so you can see if there's anything missing. It's really easy to miss some small little widget that might cause you problems down the road or just be plain difficult to get.

Since you're looking at a 98C I'd just watch out that the clamshells aren't cracked and the screws aren't stripped.

Steve Ronin
Steve Ronin

August 8th, 2012, 11:27 pm #3

Ok, so I went and downloaded the parts diagram for the Tippmann 98C.
http://paintball.tippmannparts.com/diag ... Manual.pdf

Stripped screws? = self explanatory
Clamshells? = Are you talking about the front grip or the two sides of the receiver?

ANYONE:
A Tippmann starter set can be had for $150-175.
How much would you give for a used set?

Thanks.

Penguin
Penguin

August 9th, 2012, 5:21 am #4

There are so many 98Cs on the market I honestly wouldn't pay more than $75 for a bone stock one and maybe $125-150 for an already upgraded one.

Penguin
Penguin

August 9th, 2012, 5:43 am #5

My original post was on my lunch break so I never checked out the listing so I thought I'd run through my opinion quickly.

Two concerns on those tanks. 1) The paint has covered over the date stamp information and your local field will refuse to fill them 2) They're plain out of date and will need to be replaced anyways due to the cost of retesting them.

The mask is standard beginners kit gear and honestly will cause you more grief than it's worth. They don't typically fit very well and aren't comfortable to wear all day. The anti-fog is usually a joke as well and it's no fun (or safe) to play blind. My guess is you'd be looking to replace it after one days play. The best advice I can give you is to head to a local shop and try on their selection of masks to find what fits you best. Vforce Profilers and Proto Axis and the like are pretty popular mid range masks that'll make your day way more enjoyable. A good mask will have a 10x greater impact on your game than any marker will.

I don't see the repair kit in the pictures so I'm just going to assume it's the standard couple o'rings and maybe a cup seal that every manufacturer throws in the box.

Looking on your CL there are a couple A5s for about the same price as the kit you're looking at now that are already upgraded which might give you more bang for your buck. However you'll need to purchase a mask and air source yourself.

Steve Ronin
Steve Ronin

August 9th, 2012, 1:40 pm #6

That is good info on the air tanks. I didn't know about date stamps, but it makes sense.

As for the mask: I game maybe 2-3 times a year, but from prior experience, nothing is more annoying that playing blind. I'll probably use whatever I can find until annoyance drives me to buy better.

Does Tippmann carry a standard repair kit? And how often do they need replaced?

I've found 98C markers with a "sniper barrel" (14" and 21") ... what the maximum useful length on a marker barrel?
Accuracy is important to me, more than volume of paint in the air.

I learned how to play this game with a Nelspot 007 back in the 80s.
so this concept of "hose everything down and hope for a hit" is foreign to me. :D

Penguin
Penguin

August 9th, 2012, 7:57 pm #7

Honestly I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't owned or rented a Tippmann (went with a Spyder) so I'm not 100% certain what would come in their rebuild kits but most likely a cupseal and a couple o'rings like I said. As far as replacement, when it stops working basically. With the amount of time you're planning on playing as long as you give it a couple drops of oil every 6 months if it's sitting your o-rings will stay fresh enough that you might never need it.

As for barrel length you need to realize the 98C is a long marker as it is and would be ridiculous with a 21" barrel when shouldered. Stick to 12 to 14" anything much longer and your ball is fighting friction and efficiency is going to suffer. You could look for a set that includes a barrel kit like the Freak, Evil Pipe or similar or pick it up after the fact. The current trend is that paint is getting smaller and you probably wouldn't ever need half the inserts in your kit.

The real advantage of a kit like the Freak is the interchangeable backs so if you ever buy a new marker with a different threading $25 or less should get you a back and you'll have a whole kit for that marker.

There are also barrels like the Apex or Flatline (haven't used either) that trade accuracy for range which is counter to what you're looking for.

Don't forget the role that paint plays in the equation. If you're shooting seconds you're not going to have the same pattern consistently that someone shooting a midgrade paint will have. It pays to spend the extra money for better paint if you want to make the most of your opportunities.

Steve Ronin
Steve Ronin

August 10th, 2012, 3:03 pm #8

Penguin,
Since you mentioned Spyders ... what do you think of 'em?
Being that I so rarely play, I've never really formed a dedication to any brand.
I just want it to work correctly EVERY time I pull the trigger.

And then I came across this Spyder starter kit on CL.
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/sp ... 14055.html
I googled it, and they sell b/n for $120.
If it is in mint shape, I'd offer $75 or so...

Your opinions? Thoughts?
Thanks.

-Steve

Penguin
Penguin

August 10th, 2012, 5:14 pm #9

I started with a Spyder Victor (totally bare bones) and never had a problem with it. They're definetely lighter and more compact than anything Tippman has out.

For maintenance and field stripping they are easier since the bolt is usually held in by a dedented pin and everything comes out the back. For that kit I don't know how old Sonics are off the top of my head so you might have the same issues as that original 98C kit: out of date tanks, poor quality mask and the paint is probably only good enough for your backyard.

IF your main goal is reliablity I'd say grab a 98C they're the work horses of rental fleets world wide for a reason.