In Need of a Good Idea or Two...

In Need of a Good Idea or Two...

Derek
Derek

January 10th, 2012, 1:46 am #1

I have a pair of 12V motors, with free load amperage of 2.7A, and max power of 67.9A. Might anyone have a fun project or two on which I might expend these?

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

January 10th, 2012, 2:29 am #2

They are approximately 1HP motors if they are brushed, more if they are brushless. Do they have a max RPM listed? Any other info you can give us, like manufacturer?

paul
paul

January 10th, 2012, 6:55 am #3

I have a pair of 12V motors, with free load amperage of 2.7A, and max power of 67.9A. Might anyone have a fun project or two on which I might expend these?
what's the form factor/dimensions?

what is shaft speed?

if they were higher voltage and power, i'd say build some sort of EV, but ~1 hp at 12v won't be enough for anything worthwhile.

also, i have to apologize for nitpicking, but power is measured in watts, not amps. you have 67.9A current draw, which equates to 815 watts of power or 1.09 hp.

power [W] = current [A] * voltage [V]

1 hp = 746 W

if the packaging is right, i'd say build some sort of tools with them. a small belt grinder would probably fare alright...

Derek
Derek

January 10th, 2012, 1:03 pm #4

They are approximately 1HP motors if they are brushed, more if they are brushless. Do they have a max RPM listed? Any other info you can give us, like manufacturer?
They are brushed, and manufactured by First Robotics. The model number is FR801-001. Max RPM is about 5000 RPM without load.

Derek
Derek

January 10th, 2012, 1:12 pm #5

what's the form factor/dimensions?

what is shaft speed?

if they were higher voltage and power, i'd say build some sort of EV, but ~1 hp at 12v won't be enough for anything worthwhile.

also, i have to apologize for nitpicking, but power is measured in watts, not amps. you have 67.9A current draw, which equates to 815 watts of power or 1.09 hp.

power [W] = current [A] * voltage [V]

1 hp = 746 W

if the packaging is right, i'd say build some sort of tools with them. a small belt grinder would probably fare alright...
It's about 4.5"x2.5", at a glance. These were originally used to power a rather large (approx. 50 kilo) robot, geared down with some purpose-made gearboxes. I still have access to those too. As far as the power is concerned, I'm fantastically aware. I'm fluent in physics, and already knew. Amps are simply the unit I felt would be more useful at the moment, seeing as voltage was also provided. My apologies.

Salda007
Salda007

January 10th, 2012, 3:00 pm #6

Why not build another one?

(Don't mind me, I've been drooling over this sort of stuff since BattleBots was on TV back in the day.)

Derek
Derek

January 10th, 2012, 6:06 pm #7

But that would be no fun. :P the robot still exists, and the powers that be wouldn't take to kindly to me pillaging it for parts.

Salda007
Salda007

January 10th, 2012, 8:31 pm #8

...so, if they're already in a robot, why are you taking the thing apart?

'Cuz, I mean, robot...

(I mean, you could make a different kind of robot, I guess...)

Also, umm, if the motors are already in a robot, and the PtB don't want you pillaging said robot for parts, then, umm, how can you use the motors for something else?

scratches head

Or are you saying you can't pillage the first robots for other, non-motor parts for a second?

TJ
TJ

January 10th, 2012, 10:10 pm #9

small motors with really high torque...

flail-type or whatever it's called punkin chucker.

could even be a small scale one to throw paintballs, or maybe the legendary paintball grenade...

-tj

Derek
Derek

January 10th, 2012, 11:55 pm #10

...so, if they're already in a robot, why are you taking the thing apart?

'Cuz, I mean, robot...

(I mean, you could make a different kind of robot, I guess...)

Also, umm, if the motors are already in a robot, and the PtB don't want you pillaging said robot for parts, then, umm, how can you use the motors for something else?

scratches head

Or are you saying you can't pillage the first robots for other, non-motor parts for a second?
The motors were used to operate a scissor lift that was removed from the robot. The rest of it is a proud museum piece, and the motors are mine. My current plan involves an end result of either a drill press or a circular saw as of now.