Ideas wanted

Ideas wanted

Carl Cochran
Carl Cochran

April 1st, 2012, 1:27 am #1

OK, so I have to try to fix the garage door. The issue is the people that set it up before I lives here had no re enforcement where the opener connected to the door. Resulting in this

Sorry for the links and quality but I did not edit the photos at all.

I am looking for ideas. I have thought of U bolts and a plate that has been tapped to accept bolts. Als,o maybe wleding nuts to the back of a plate once again attached by u bolts. Problem, How would I get u bolts behind the post?

Any ideas , and suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Carl

Hans
Hans

April 1st, 2012, 2:43 am #2

Looks like that section of channel should come right off.

Pull it off, put a backing plate behind it, and all done.

-Hans

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

April 1st, 2012, 3:33 pm #3

OK, so I have to try to fix the garage door. The issue is the people that set it up before I lives here had no re enforcement where the opener connected to the door. Resulting in this

I am looking for ideas. I have thought of U bolts and a plate that has been tapped to accept bolts. Als,o maybe wleding nuts to the back of a plate once again attached by u bolts. Problem, How would I get u bolts behind the post?

Thank you,

Carl
I'm something of a minimalist and would simple bump out the panel with a couple of pieces of plywood on either side of the post and a member across the post. All could be glued and screwed in place and the arm from the door closer screwed to the part across the post half an hour later.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

April 2nd, 2012, 7:39 am #4

Thank you,

Carl
...on what you have on hand. If you have a Riv-Nutter Tool and the 1/4-20 inserts, you could just bump the center channel flat again and zap them into the old sheet-metal screw holes. Or move the holes down an inch and get fresh steel, the worst is you have to readjust the garage opener's limit stops.

I'd take a strip of heavy sheetmetal about 4" wide and go vertically, zap it into the upper and lower section channel with a few more of those #12 or #14 hex sheet-metal self-drillers - or some healthy Pop Rivets, then put the Riv-Nuts through two layers and screw the door opener arm back on.

Or if all you have around is plywood, make a strip that goes the height of the door section, screw it in place, and reattach the operator arm on top.

Carl Cochran
Carl Cochran

April 2nd, 2012, 2:40 pm #5

Thank you,

Carl
Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple of different options now that I didn't think of.

MarkF
MarkF

April 2nd, 2012, 2:43 pm #6

Thank you,

Carl
Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Door-Opera ... B002VCPNYI

They should be available at the local BigBox.