ICQ! Pager #?

March 8th, 2018, 6:14 pm #1

Anyone else notice that in the profile section?  Let me go dig out my pager and icq login! 

Seems that form needs a minor update :)

March 8th, 2018, 9:16 pm #2

Given that my old ICQ number was a six-digit number, I think it's more than a little outdated...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody

March 8th, 2018, 9:34 pm #3

Hey, don't look at me, I got nothin' to do with those. 🙂

I can't see any options to change 'em either, or to add... shall we say more modern equivalents. 😁

But yeah, pagers? Does anyone even still use those? I'm pretty sure the use of pagers was outdated when the "Stonecutters" episode of The Simpsons aired. (The plumber in the leaking, flooding basement gets a "low battery" signal on his pagers, says it's an emergency and has to leave. 😁 )

[Googles] Holy crap, that was 1995!

Doc.

March 9th, 2018, 9:42 am #4

I went from Pagers to Cellphones about 1995 - 96. But for some companies who wanted to stay Cheapass they hung on for quite a while past that...  Doctors and Nurses too, because there was no way to run up a long distance bill on them.  On Call Maintenance people.  }

Even our rescue team kept using them because they could order 50 pagers on the same account number and trigger them all with one call.

March 10th, 2018, 1:07 am #5

Who the hell would put their pager number on the internet anyway? Want my soc number too? lol

March 10th, 2018, 1:19 am #6

Hey, you never know. There might be people out there that really enjoy random, late-night beeping noises.😋

Actually, now that I said that, I recall years ago somebody posted a link to a guy's website. On said website, there was a live webcam, wherein you could watch him surf the net.

Next to the cam window was a button, and if you clicked on the button, you could turn off or on a lamp on the table behind him.

I clicked it, and the guy in the window looked behind him, back at the camera, and went back to surfing. 🙂

Doc.

March 10th, 2018, 1:21 am #7

I didn't have to register, but on other forums they are still asking for your AIM "Handle"

March 10th, 2018, 1:51 am #8

DocsMachine wrote: Next to the cam window was a button, and if you clicked on the button, you could turn off or on a lamp on the table behind him.

I clicked it, and the guy in the window looked behind him, back at the camera, and went back to surfing. 🙂
What's old is new again, that's a super popular thing on Twitch.tv right now for all the video game livestreamers that are trying to get "interaction" with their audience. You pay a microtransaction and are thus rewarded with a small amount of access to the IRL devices and/or minor temporary aspects of the gameplay being streamed. It's progress!

March 10th, 2018, 4:37 am #9

Thats a thing on chatur...ummm nevermind. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com