I've heard of moving houses, but moving bridges?

I've heard of moving houses, but moving bridges?

MephitMark
MephitMark

August 17th, 2012, 10:10 pm #1

In Minnesota we jokingly say we have two seasons, winter and road construction. And sometimes that means the road is completely shut down for some major work to be done. (Though I always wonder if the construction would be done quicker if the road was closed the entire time?) Well, this time the road is closed because the bridge is being moved.

Months ago in my daily commuting I observed some unusual construction near a overpass bridge. Thought some building was being built. The only thing was part of the wall structure used old shipping containers. Weeks went by, and the old bridge was torn down, new structures were going up. But the building now had a roof, but no walls. How odd. Then I notice that the 'roof' was massive concrete structure with railings only on two sides, opposite of each other. That was when I realized what was being done. The bridge deck was being built separate, and was going to be moved into place afterwards.

Never seen it being done before. And more fun, MNDOT has set up a camera so people can watch the move in progress.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projec ... ebcam.html

Now imagine attempting to do such a move without modern computer control to ensure the wheels steer properly, and hold the load level?

Junk Box 99
Junk Box 99

August 17th, 2012, 11:59 pm #2

And moving house like that takes it to a ridiculous length.

There was a show on National Geographic channel, World's Toughest Fixes; one episode showed how a highway overpass was built, moved, and installed.

...Ah, here we go - NatGeo was nice enough to post the whole episode.
http://youtu.be/E0O78AyDixY

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

August 18th, 2012, 1:43 am #3

In Minnesota we jokingly say we have two seasons, winter and road construction. And sometimes that means the road is completely shut down for some major work to be done. (Though I always wonder if the construction would be done quicker if the road was closed the entire time?) Well, this time the road is closed because the bridge is being moved.

Months ago in my daily commuting I observed some unusual construction near a overpass bridge. Thought some building was being built. The only thing was part of the wall structure used old shipping containers. Weeks went by, and the old bridge was torn down, new structures were going up. But the building now had a roof, but no walls. How odd. Then I notice that the 'roof' was massive concrete structure with railings only on two sides, opposite of each other. That was when I realized what was being done. The bridge deck was being built separate, and was going to be moved into place afterwards.

Never seen it being done before. And more fun, MNDOT has set up a camera so people can watch the move in progress.

Now imagine attempting to do such a move without modern computer control to ensure the wheels steer properly, and hold the load level?
Seen a few examples now. I've only ever seen the bridge section being simply slid along some rails greased with what amounts to soap. Leave the old bridge until the new one is ready, knock the old one down and drag the new one into place.

Ketira
Ketira

August 18th, 2012, 11:24 am #4

....have to wait 'til 8am EDT for the cam to have any action. (So the site said.)

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

August 18th, 2012, 5:57 pm #5

Looks like they have one section in already.

Tt's good to know why it's closed, in case I have to take the detour. I've had three runs into Minnesota in the past two weeks, twice to the Minneapolis are and once to the northwest portion.

Carl
Carl

August 19th, 2012, 5:14 am #6

They did that here in Utah for all the Bridges on the highway project in Utah County.

http://www.i15core.utah.gov/

One of them was the longest bridge ever put into place that way. Good video showing one of them being moved:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz48YQeGi6U

It was interesting but it has been a pain getting around here for the last two years

-Carl

Robert The Addled
Robert The Addled

August 19th, 2012, 6:49 pm #7

It's becoming more common - a 150-ish foot span for a rail trail covered bridge rolled past my house earlier this year to be installed down the road. Once they got past the driving around and setting up the crane - the actual lift and install took less than an hour - and most of that the final foot of lowering into place.

http://andoverconnecticut.org/news/cove ... edication/

Shalom
Shalom

August 21st, 2012, 3:51 pm #8

The Broadway Bridge over the Harlem Ship Canal was built in 1895. In 1906, they replaced it with a new double-decker bridge to accommodate the new IRT subway, but why scrap a bridge that was only 11 years old? They stuck it on two barges, side by side, and floated it down the river to 207th Street, where it was in service until about 1992.