I thinkTWB is broken

I thinkTWB is broken

Torinir
Torinir

April 8th, 2011, 1:01 pm #1

Still showing 4/1 as the latest date, and the last two strips got deep sixed. I think the server needs some of Doc's Dew.

Ketira
Ketira

April 8th, 2011, 5:17 pm #2

Once he gets the strip up, he'll notice that and try to straighten that bit of code out (or else have his server tech do that). So just be patient and wait for the next strip.

Tobias Amaranth
Tobias Amaranth

April 8th, 2011, 9:43 pm #3

Still showing 4/1 as the latest date, and the last two strips got deep sixed. I think the server needs some of Doc's Dew.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/9013/mes ... for+Monday...

Something about a server update talked about here, I can only suppose that it hasn't been fixed yet, at least not entirely.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

April 11th, 2011, 9:13 am #4

As I said last week, Curt was rebuilding the server- both physically and electronically.

There were apparently a couple of glitches- like a brand new drive was dead out of the box and a second failed sometime between him leaving the server centre and arriving home (which is a three-state drive, as I understand it.)

Plus, last week I was pretty busy myself, and occasionally occupied with some other things, so on top of the bad scheduler, I wasn't up to snuff on updating either.

We're working on it.

Doc.

Curt
Curt

April 11th, 2011, 3:09 pm #5

The machine the updater runs on was upgraded last weekend, I drove to the PoP (10 hours from my house) swapped out the hardware and then drive back.

Somewhere along the way I managed to smash the controller card on one of the RAID disks, so when I got home I had 7 of 8 functional drives. Which would have been okay if one of them wasn't a MAXTOR PoC that blew chowder as soon as I tried to start it up again. Knew I should have swapped the disks earlier..

All the whiteboard stuff was off-site backed up, but every waking moment of my life the last week has been spent trying to deal with the wreckage of a terabyte of semi-critical (all the really critical data was, of course, backed up) data being gone.

Happy ending, I was able swap out the controller card from the bad drive (no user serviceable parts? you have no idea who you are dealing with..) with a good one of the same vintage and holy wtf it worked.

Anyways whiteboard is high on the priority list for restore and should be functional in a few hours.

-Curt

wolfteller
wolfteller

April 11th, 2011, 4:45 pm #6

i know from friend's experiances that the folks that run the server gardens that hold all of the data for these sites don't get nearly enough credit. so thank you for going out of your way to fix an issue that wasn't your fault. here's to you internet server, update and maintenace guy (play appropriate bud light commercial here)

Tobias Amaranth
Tobias Amaranth

April 11th, 2011, 10:38 pm #7

As of this posting, it's working properly. It may require a forced refresh (Ctrl + F5 or whatnot) to view. There is not a 4-08 strip up yet, though.

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

April 11th, 2011, 10:39 pm #8

i know from friend's experiances that the folks that run the server gardens that hold all of the data for these sites don't get nearly enough credit. so thank you for going out of your way to fix an issue that wasn't your fault. here's to you internet server, update and maintenace guy (play appropriate bud light commercial here)
I mean who really remembers the EMTs? it's the surgeons and the doctors you remember with without EMTs alot less people would make it there...

Torinir
Torinir

April 12th, 2011, 4:01 am #9

BOFH anyone? XD

J. Cook
J. Cook

April 12th, 2011, 5:09 am #10

The BOFH option really isn't something that 'normal' sysadmins do- for one thing, it's not conducive to keeping employment. It's more of a 'blow off steaming by fantasizing' about user death.

Most sysadmins do it for the challenge, the money, the feeling of being useful, the personal satisfaction that you are doing good with your abilities. And not in that order, necessarily.

So all you people out there! Be nice to your sysadmin- blow their minds and thank them for doing what is normally a thankless job!