I now know what I want for a new shop...

November 23rd, 2017, 9:57 pm #1

Earlier this week, as I was doing the various comics each evening, I was watching (or rather, listening to, mostly ) some Futurama episodes.

And after a handful of them, it occurred to me that the Planet Express building would make for a pretty damn nice shop.

Okay, skip certain parts of it- we don't need the retractable roof, the anti-Santa-Clause bulletproof shutters, or the access to a volcanic lava vent in the basement.

But lay a real shop out in a similar manner, and it'd actually be pretty cool.

The big workspace, of course, where the ship is normally parked, is the main working area. Call it three cars wide with some bonus space in between, and garage doors along the streetside wall.

The raised meeting/kitchen area above the work floor, with storage, clean rooms, and tool rooms below that.

The tower at the end, with the kitchen, livingroom, etc, on the ground floor, and sleeping quarters (with the balconies) on the top floor. (Only two floors to keep it realistic/affordable, unlike the cartoon version which has either three or four, depending on which episode you're watching. )

One of these days I might have to try and draw up some plans, for when I get rich and famous.

Doc.

November 23rd, 2017, 10:21 pm #2

Every building needs an Angry Dome.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

November 23rd, 2017, 10:23 pm #3

Earlier this week, as I was doing the various comics each evening, I was watching (or rather, listening to, mostly ) some Futurama episodes.

And after a handful of them, it occurred to me that the Planet Express building would make for a pretty damn nice shop.

Okay, skip certain parts of it- we don't need the retractable roof, the anti-Santa-Clause bulletproof shutters, or the access to a volcanic lava vent in the basement.

But lay a real shop out in a similar manner, and it'd actually be pretty cool.

The big workspace, of course, where the ship is normally parked, is the main working area. Call it three cars wide with some bonus space in between, and garage doors along the streetside wall.

The raised meeting/kitchen area above the work floor, with storage, clean rooms, and tool rooms below that.

The tower at the end, with the kitchen, livingroom, etc, on the ground floor, and sleeping quarters (with the balconies) on the top floor. (Only two floors to keep it realistic/affordable, unlike the cartoon version which has either three or four, depending on which episode you're watching. )

One of these days I might have to try and draw up some plans, for when I get rich and famous.

Doc.
in Liége, Belgium and fix it up :D

https://photorator.com/photos/images/co ... -21078.jpg
JozsefC

November 24th, 2017, 9:23 am #4

That's beautiful. Even in it's present state.

November 24th, 2017, 5:37 pm #5

That looks about right for a Mad Scientist's lab. I wouldn't say no if it was reasonably priced and fixed up already.

Myself, given it's Arizona and the heat and everything, I'd actually want something that's similar to the berm or earth sheltered house- that should provide enough natural insulation that the interior stays reasonable to heat and cool, and have an east facing patio or outdoor exposed face for a view. I'd put solar panels along the top of the berm on a southern facing side for power collection, and maybe a detached garage/ work room for storing the vehicles, tools, and auxiliary power generation gear.

November 25th, 2017, 10:44 am #6

Reserved for people who let such gorgeous buildings decay like that!

November 27th, 2017, 3:57 am #7

Every building needs an Angry Dome.
... A Chamber of Understanding.

The music's better.

Doc.

November 27th, 2017, 4:01 am #8

That is awfully cool, but it's a genuine historical artifact. I think even in the "shell of it's former self" condition it's in, somebody might be a bit offended if I installed a couple garage doors and a hydraulic in-floor lift.

Besides, I don't speak Belgian, and gfetting car parts shipped up from the continental United States is already expensive enough. It'd cost three or four times more to get 'em shipped over there- and it's very unlikely I could find an old GM A-body sitting in somebody's backyard for parts.

Doc.

November 28th, 2017, 12:22 am #9

And much closer to Opel GT parts sources, 100+ years of Mercedes diesel parts, subcontracting for FN, and Pinzgauers

November 28th, 2017, 9:23 am #10

That looks about right for a Mad Scientist's lab. I wouldn't say no if it was reasonably priced and fixed up already.

Myself, given it's Arizona and the heat and everything, I'd actually want something that's similar to the berm or earth sheltered house- that should provide enough natural insulation that the interior stays reasonable to heat and cool, and have an east facing patio or outdoor exposed face for a view. I'd put solar panels along the top of the berm on a southern facing side for power collection, and maybe a detached garage/ work room for storing the vehicles, tools, and auxiliary power generation gear.
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Observ ... !4d5.56317

Thats western europe