I need an MP4-MP3 converter...

I need an MP4-MP3 converter...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 8th, 2012, 7:57 pm #1

I have a short MP4 video out of my Flip camera, from which I would like to extract the audio track so it may be listened to separately.

I see there's jillions of free apps online that can do it, but as usual I'm reluctant to download something like that unless I know it's from a relatively trusted source. Can anyone recommend just such a good source?

I don't need a lot of features or capabilities, this is pretty much a one-shot deal. But I don't want to wind up with some malware along with the software.

Doc.

Lis
Lis

July 8th, 2012, 8:08 pm #2

http://www.poikosoft.com/
Easy CD-DA Extractor

There is a free version that works wonders. I've used it before for a bunch of different things- including converting some other formats into mp3s, and correcting batches of audio file names all at once. It didn't turn up with any malware or anything that I've noticed. It's one of the few programs I decided to upgrade to the paid version, since I liked it that much.

Good luck!

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

July 8th, 2012, 8:13 pm #3

I have a short MP4 video out of my Flip camera, from which I would like to extract the audio track so it may be listened to separately.

I see there's jillions of free apps online that can do it, but as usual I'm reluctant to download something like that unless I know it's from a relatively trusted source. Can anyone recommend just such a good source?

I don't need a lot of features or capabilities, this is pretty much a one-shot deal. But I don't want to wind up with some malware along with the software.

Doc.
If I'm not mistaken, vanilla WinAmp can 'play to file'. Tell it to save the audio to an MP3, and boom!

It's tucked away in the Preferences, Plug-ins, Output, NullSoft Diskwriter.

Mind, you won't actually hear it being played, since it's going directly to file...

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

July 8th, 2012, 8:25 pm #4

Doc.
Upload it to youtube and use youtubetomp3.com or youtube-mp3.com or one of the bajillion other alternates... Hard to encode an mp3 to do anything dangerous...

Janek
Janek

July 9th, 2012, 1:15 am #5

Doc.
Description on how to is here:http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1266-extracti ... o-with-vlc

VLC is a great media player as it works with all kinds of formats.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

July 9th, 2012, 2:35 am #6

Doc.
handbrake.fr Pretty clean and clearly defined interface and powerful too. VLC's fine too, but it could trip you up if you are not careful and fill your hard drive with uncompressed music... yikes!

The Gecko
The Gecko

July 9th, 2012, 6:43 am #7

http://www.poikosoft.com/
Easy CD-DA Extractor

There is a free version that works wonders. I've used it before for a bunch of different things- including converting some other formats into mp3s, and correcting batches of audio file names all at once. It didn't turn up with any malware or anything that I've noticed. It's one of the few programs I decided to upgrade to the paid version, since I liked it that much.

Good luck!
(Semi-offtopic anecdote!)

I think I used that to digitise a whole whack of CDs back in 2002 or thereabouts.

I lived in a house with four other roommates, and everyone had their CD collection. It was always a pain borrowing and keeping track of who had whose discs, so I digitised the lot to a central big fileserver (80GB I think? It was big at the time!) so anyone could just play them over the LAN.

Of course, I mostly cared that it was able to automatically look up and write ID3 tags to everything.

These days, I'm using linux more often than not, so I just use ffmpeg or mencoder.

The Gecko
The Gecko

July 9th, 2012, 6:45 am #8

Description on how to is here:http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1266-extracti ... o-with-vlc

VLC is a great media player as it works with all kinds of formats.
VLC can play pretty much any format you throw at it, and has a fairly easy to use transcoder.

Unless you're getting into command line or the nitty gritty details of specific encoders, it's pretty much a swiss army knife* when it comes to media under windows.

* I actually carry a leatherman as my go-to "always have on me" tool :P

Carl Foxmarten
Carl Foxmarten

July 9th, 2012, 6:49 am #9

Doc.
If you don't mind command-line operation (or can set up a script), FFmpeg is a good choice.

It can convert between an incredible range of video and audio formats, and has excellent quality options.

But the major drawback is that it's primarily a command-line tool.
(there are graphical interfaces, though I haven't used any of them myself)

The Gecko
The Gecko

July 9th, 2012, 6:59 am #10

Just to save you some hassle digging through manpages if you go this route, you'd probably be looking for something like:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -ab 320k output.mp3

Where 320k is the output bitrate.

Some other useful options to add, but probably unnecessary - ffmpeg will use the same #channels/sampling rate as the source.

-ac 2 : force 2 channel (stereo) output
-ac 1 : force 1 channel (mono) output
-ar 44100 : force output at 44.1kHz sampling (very common in digital audio)