I'm pretty bad at remembering to document projects, but...

I'm pretty bad at remembering to document projects, but...

slade
slade

August 10th, 2011, 7:46 pm #1

I actually finally took a video of something, and figured it was about time it made it's way here. I made it along with a lot of other stuff a couple months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Oi-WKs8T0

MarkT
MarkT

August 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm #2

How does the latch work?

MildBill
MildBill

August 10th, 2011, 9:36 pm #3

I believe the latch works based on the sequence of faces turned up, and is electronic in nature. I have seen similar boxes made of wood with a similar type of lock mechanism, and there are a couple of gadget/project sites where you can find plans for them.

MildBill

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

August 11th, 2011, 2:46 am #4

I actually finally took a video of something, and figured it was about time it made it's way here. I made it along with a lot of other stuff a couple months ago:

neat idea, details on how the mechanism works?

MildBill
MildBill

August 11th, 2011, 3:35 am #5

slade
slade

August 11th, 2011, 8:12 am #6

I believe the latch works based on the sequence of faces turned up, and is electronic in nature. I have seen similar boxes made of wood with a similar type of lock mechanism, and there are a couple of gadget/project sites where you can find plans for them.

MildBill
it was kind of thrown together in a rush, so it's not all that pretty on the inside.

but essentially, a ball rolls around and has to navigate various open paths to reach a lever. Turn it on the wrong side, and the ball falls back out. Every inside plane and path is out of parallel by a few degrees, so the ball rolls by itself to the next position.

MarkT
MarkT

August 11th, 2011, 10:07 pm #7

I suppose a smaller mechanism is possible. I have been thinking about a lock that requires magnets placed in the correct position and correct orientation.

Thanks for explaining how it worked. It looks like fun to make.

MildBill
MildBill

August 11th, 2011, 11:08 pm #8

it was kind of thrown together in a rush, so it's not all that pretty on the inside.

but essentially, a ball rolls around and has to navigate various open paths to reach a lever. Turn it on the wrong side, and the ball falls back out. Every inside plane and path is out of parallel by a few degrees, so the ball rolls by itself to the next position.

A completely mechanical latch version. I'm impressed! I bow to your superior craftsmanship!

MildBill

ydna
ydna

August 11th, 2011, 11:17 pm #9

I made a similar project for one of the college courses I assist, although a bit more simple since it's 3 steps to open. Mine is a two-piece box that slides together using a dovetail, which is locked in position by a dowel pin, which moves out of position based on a bearing ball in a slot under it. Some of the students like it since it's a fun toy but others HATE it and don't even take it home after working a week to create it. hah

slade
slade

August 13th, 2011, 3:30 am #10

I suppose a smaller mechanism is possible. I have been thinking about a lock that requires magnets placed in the correct position and correct orientation.

Thanks for explaining how it worked. It looks like fun to make.
I'd love to see it!

I wasn't happy with using so much space for the latch, but I only had so much time, and needed a fairly large ball to get enough mass to trigger the latch. I'd love to see a better/smaller design.