I have no impulse control. (Question)

November 13th, 2017, 9:18 pm #1

Hello Doc. I would like to preface this by saying that I love your comic, and I have been keeping up with it for years. I like the action sequence, it's not paintball but I'll definitely take it. Anyway my question is completely separate.

What happened was, I went out to the field yesterday, and my mini broke down for the third time. I have only been able use it twice and neither of those times were very good because it chopped like hell and its air efficiency was terrible. I've ended up resorting to using my Tippmann Griffin, which has served me well and brought me a fairly decent 14 tags in five games. (for a relative newcomer, that's pretty good.) anyway, I was browsing eBay and Craigslist for something cheap and reliable, when I came across something that was only one of those.
What I found was a 2000 something Kingsman Esprit, with no information or verification on the seller. Therefore, the first thing I did was place a bid on it. It only had 30 minutes left in the auction, and the bid was $25 so I managed to score it for 26 and shipping.

I have done some research on this model, and came up with practically nothing. What I do know is that it's rare, unknown to me or anyone else I know, and probably not a good choice. Can you please tell me anything you might know about this, and how would I get support for it? I would greatly appreciate that . Thank you.

November 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm #2

Since the Esprit is just another variant of the ubiquitous Spyder (and a huge number of clones) any "support" for it is the same as it would be for a Spyder One, Shutter, Victor, X-Tra, Sport, Electra, and about a hundred others.

Some individual details might be slightly different between the models, but the general method of operation and overall design is the same.

The only thing the Esprit has going for it is the E-trigger, it's an electronic trigger frame, rather than mechanical. The only real benefit there is the trigger pull is a bit shorter and lighter, but unfortunately it doesn't make the gun any more reliable.

$26 is almost overpaying for it, sorry to say. Your Gryphon is a moderately better marker, but if you want an inexpensive, virtually-guaranteed-to-work marker, look for a Tippmann Cronus.

On the Mini, early ones were kind of inherently trouble-prone, and take regular servicing to stay in good shape. I know there's several online tutorials and YouTube videos on servicing them- it's not hard once you understand where all the O-rings go.

Doc.

November 13th, 2017, 10:40 pm #3

Thanks for your help. I had a semi-pro (you know those guys) who had a mini with him work on it at the field yesterday, and he almost fixed it. His also broke down, and He borrowed the ASA off of mine to get his working. Mine was popping balls only a few feet, and he managed and fire back to normal. Except for the insignificant detail that it chopped every four balls and vented air through the trigger mechanism. So i'm just going to have to figure that out.
Anyway, I guess we'll just see how it goes in the future. I'll reply with an update once it's arrived, but I'm taking your advice into mind. Regardless, do you have any cheap upgrades that would increase the performance and reliability? I really don't have the budget not to use it.

November 14th, 2017, 2:58 pm #4

Hello Doc. I would like to preface this by saying that I love your comic, and I have been keeping up with it for years. I like the action sequence, it's not paintball but I'll definitely take it. Anyway my question is completely separate.

What happened was, I went out to the field yesterday, and my mini broke down for the third time. I have only been able use it twice and neither of those times were very good because it chopped like hell and its air efficiency was terrible. I've ended up resorting to using my Tippmann Griffin, which has served me well and brought me a fairly decent 14 tags in five games. (for a relative newcomer, that's pretty good.) anyway, I was browsing eBay and Craigslist for something cheap and reliable, when I came across something that was only one of those.
What I found was a 2000 something Kingsman Esprit, with no information or verification on the seller. Therefore, the first thing I did was place a bid on it. It only had 30 minutes left in the auction, and the bid was $25 so I managed to score it for 26 and shipping.

I have done some research on this model, and came up with practically nothing. What I do know is that it's rare, unknown to me or anyone else I know, and probably not a good choice. Can you please tell me anything you might know about this, and how would I get support for it? I would greatly appreciate that . Thank you.
So the Esprit is one of about a dozen model names that Kingman produced in the early 2000's. The (typically blue) esprit was the "how cheap can we make this thing" model. I bought mine for $98 from PBgear.com.

It's a slim striker gun, which is the "less reliable" version of the spyder. It requires really careful feeding if you want it to be reliable. That means, you need freshly charged (or ideally, external and big) batteries to make the trigger frame do it's job. You need a good air system, that's putting out 750-900psi, and does that consistently, and you need to make sure the gun, both valve side and striker side are well oiled.

This is not something most people could handle, (and most buyers were not "good owners") so very many of them met drill presses, or just trash bins.

For $26, you didn't do badly, but given the usual condition of a used spyder, Doc may be correct in you overpaying.

The board that comes installed on that gun, does 8 or 14bps, with no 1 shot queue, so if you're pulling the trigger rapidly, you'll get a "no shot" instead of a "slightly delayed" shot if you outrun the guns rate of fire.

I used a lightly modified Esprit for a year of tournament play. It was ~more reliable~ than the new shockers at the time, but it was less reliable than my cocker. It was however, really, really fast. (I had one of NotEvil's boards in it, fed it with a good air system, and a halo.)

November 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm #5

Thanks for that rather dissapointing information. What are the possible upgrades for this? I'll take whatever I can get, and I can do a bit of soldering or tinkering if necessary. I just need to make the reliable and relatively high performing.