I can't belive I had to do this.... (PB related)

I can't belive I had to do this.... (PB related)

Wolf
Wolf

October 24th, 2011, 3:20 am #1

I work for a certian retail giant, and being the only pb player in the crew I get asked alot of questions.

Long story short someone flat out wanted to know if pb's damage car finish...

I had to answear. So I did. Yes, and then they asked me which brand I would use to shoot at said car... I had to tell them. They bought one.

I'm sorry my Brothers and Sisters in arms...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

October 24th, 2011, 4:57 am #2

The correct answer would have been the truth:

Yes, paintballs can and will damage car paint. Besides the scratching or even chipping of the paint from the impact itself, if left on too long, or in hot weather, it can and will stain.

And even if it was 100% harmless to the car, it's still illegal. Shooting a car with a paintball gun is identical, from a legal standpoint, to spray-painting it or throwing rocks at it. It's vandalism, and it's illegal.

If you're working the counter and somebody asks you that kind of question, that's what you need to tell them. It's misdemeanor vandalism at best, and if you do more than $500 in damage (depending on local laws) it's a felony.

And if the car owner has to pay to have a door refinished, it'd go way past $500 in a big hurry.

At our local store, we actually stopped selling paintball gear, especially paintballs, except to known regulars, for the week leading up to Halloween, in order to help reduce vandalism. And more than a few times we helped the local police when something happened- most of the time it was telling them how to tell the difference between the paint we sold (mostly RP Scherer Premium Gold at the time) and the paint the local box store sold (cheap Brass Eagle.)

Doc.

Wolf
Wolf

October 24th, 2011, 5:57 am #3

you have to help the customer...

It's hard when your the only one who understands how slimpery of a slope PB has always been on. No one's gonna crack down on baseball, if someone whacks someone else with a baseball bat. But a PB guns gets fired once, and it's a circus...

smorizio
smorizio

October 24th, 2011, 10:42 am #4

The correct answer would have been the truth:

Yes, paintballs can and will damage car paint. Besides the scratching or even chipping of the paint from the impact itself, if left on too long, or in hot weather, it can and will stain.

And even if it was 100% harmless to the car, it's still illegal. Shooting a car with a paintball gun is identical, from a legal standpoint, to spray-painting it or throwing rocks at it. It's vandalism, and it's illegal.

If you're working the counter and somebody asks you that kind of question, that's what you need to tell them. It's misdemeanor vandalism at best, and if you do more than $500 in damage (depending on local laws) it's a felony.

And if the car owner has to pay to have a door refinished, it'd go way past $500 in a big hurry.

At our local store, we actually stopped selling paintball gear, especially paintballs, except to known regulars, for the week leading up to Halloween, in order to help reduce vandalism. And more than a few times we helped the local police when something happened- most of the time it was telling them how to tell the difference between the paint we sold (mostly RP Scherer Premium Gold at the time) and the paint the local box store sold (cheap Brass Eagle.)

Doc.
in most towns or states now because of drive by paintball shooting most states now have placed paintball markers used in drive by as the same as firearms. there are few towns here in mass that have those laws on the books. (min is one year in jail) and a 5000 fine.

scrapiron
scrapiron

October 24th, 2011, 1:27 pm #5

I work for a certian retail giant, and being the only pb player in the crew I get asked alot of questions.

I had to answear. So I did. Yes, and then they asked me which brand I would use to shoot at said car... I had to tell them. They bought one.

I work in subrogation for a certain insurance company. I've seen more than just a handful of paintball related vandalism claims reach my department.

What typically happens is the perpetrator brags to a few "friends", who are then witnesses to the perpetrator's vandalism, so when we go to court for a civil judgement its usually awarded because we've got depositions from these witnesses, and then we get to do things like garnish the perpetrator's wages, place liens on any property they own, and if they're a minor we get to do all of this to their parents and we get to keep doing it until we've recuperated our loss.

The last one of these claims to come across my desk I had to explain:
We don't care that our insured cheated on you with your sister. The judge won't care that our insured cheated on you with your sister. Your bank won't care that our insured slept with your sister, the bottom line is, you vandalized the vehicle, and now you owe my company for what it took to restore it.

yes, subrogators can be mean, its one of the perks of the job.

OmniMech
OmniMech

October 24th, 2011, 2:46 pm #6

There's people that come into our store...saunter up to the counter...and the first question they ask (with a sadistic grin) "Which gun hurts the most?"

More than once we have had to turn away some cretin because all they want to do is buy a marker, crank up the velocity way past safe, and shoot their friends. I've told customers who ask this question that there is a speed limit, and going above that could cause serious injury. 90% of the people will quickly change their minds...the other 10% say something like 'cool! which one would do the most damage?'. At that point, I tell them No Sale. And I also explain that using a paintball marker purely to injure someone is usually classified as Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

October 24th, 2011, 4:28 pm #7

how would you have answered?

Chipmaker
Chipmaker

October 24th, 2011, 4:32 pm #8

from context that they wanted to shoot a car and not damage it? Back in the day some high school friends and I had to make a video for a class and one of the "stunts" we included was shooting my buddy's car with about 1000 paintballs. We did it in a remote park, and he was one of the trigger men- not a hapless victim- in case you're wondering. We used a very thin, nonstaining paint with dailed down velocities, and you couldn't tell the difference after an intense washing.

Not everyone lives for maliciousness...

-Chad

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

October 24th, 2011, 4:50 pm #9

"Will it damage a car finish? Gosh, I don't know.. I suppose it'd depend on the finish used, and how close you were.. Of course, even if it didn't damage the finish, it could still be charged as vandalism.."

Irregular Logic
Irregular Logic

October 24th, 2011, 6:53 pm #10

You would have at least done your duty by pointing out the legal repercussions of vandalising cars.