I am... building something...

I am... building something...

January 12th, 2018, 11:57 pm #1

I have a concept for a paintball marker.

I wish to use some off the shelf reliable parts to put into my prototype, and am thinking of using Tippmann 98 Custom parts for this project.

In reference to The Power Tube, what would I need to do to make the long thin tube on the front even longer? I know it is injection molded so direct modification will be challenging, if not impossible. I need to lengthen the thin tube on the front of The Power Tube, by about 3 inches. I do NOT have a metal lathe, but I do have a wood lathe, which could do plastic. Anyone think it would be easier and more accurate just to mill the custom part on my lathe or is there a method I could use to lengthen that particular part?

Thank you.

January 13th, 2018, 12:03 am #2

If anyone wishes to possibly help me out by SPONSORING this project, and possibly help me build a new company and possibly a new sport out of the design...

... I am all ears.

Let's just say that it will be a revolution to paintball if my plans succeed. It will not destroy paintball, it will become its own related sport on its own. It will cooperate WITH paintball, have its own system of rules and can even be played with paintball or on its own. If my ultimate plans succeed... it might even gain defense contracts.

January 13th, 2018, 8:33 am #3

I wish to use some off the shelf reliable parts to put into my prototype, and am thinking of using Tippmann 98 Custom parts for this project.

In reference to The Power Tube, what would I need to do to make the long thin tube on the front even longer? I know it is injection molded so direct modification will be challenging, if not impossible. I need to lengthen the thin tube on the front of The Power Tube, by about 3 inches. I do NOT have a metal lathe, but I do have a wood lathe, which could do plastic. Anyone think it would be easier and more accurate just to mill the custom part on my lathe or is there a method I could use to lengthen that particular part?

Thank you.
The '98 power tube is integral with the valve. In order to lengthen it, you'd presumably need to make an entirely new valve body.

But, there's an option- depending on what you have in mind, if you don't need the bolt to travel all the way down the power tube, you can make a stepped, slip on extension, similar to how tentpoles or two-piece fishing rods slide together.

Such a thing could theoretically be made with a drill press and a wood lathe, if you use something like Delrin, but yeah, a proper metalworking lathe would of course be the far superior choice.

Doc.

January 13th, 2018, 9:05 am #4

If anyone wishes to possibly help me out by SPONSORING this project, and possibly help me build a new company and possibly a new sport out of the design...

... I am all ears.

Let's just say that it will be a revolution to paintball if my plans succeed. It will not destroy paintball, it will become its own related sport on its own. It will cooperate WITH paintball, have its own system of rules and can even be played with paintball or on its own. If my ultimate plans succeed... it might even gain defense contracts.
Oh, that takes me back to the days of Al from the "let's not type the whole name out in full" website of yore.

He, too, claimed to have many an invention, development or idea that would "revolutionize" paintball- then again, he also claimed that Bud Orr, Tom Kaye, the guys from Brass Eagle, Glenn Palmer and the WDP guys "laid awake in cold sweats" at night, knowing (at least according to Al) that they're "stolen" their flagship products from him, and were terrified he'd eventually bring a slew of lawsuits and ruin their companies.

Al, needless to say, had suffered a brain injury- that part is unfortunately not a joke- and required medication to function. Such claims as those above, inevitably came when he decided he was okay, and no longer needed the medications.

Anyway, I don't say that to insult or discourage you. I say that to hopefully level you out a bit.

Literally countless companies have come and gone over the years, each with "revolutionary" developments to the sport. Some, like HPA, force-fed loaders and electronic markers, have indeed made significant changes to the sport.

But on the other hand, there's been thousands of developments that never went anywhere. The ICE Epic was a semiauto with no bolt- it used a sliding "trapdoor" instead. Supposed to be revolutionary, and chop-free, but in reality, it could still chop, and in the 20+ years since the Epic came out, not one single other company has tried to use the same idea.

CCI and Phoenix both tried variants of rotary breeches, each trying a different axis. Neither succeeded, or indeed, even sold in anything other than bare handfuls.

A company years ago came out with a football-shaped paintball called something like the "Safety" ball. Supposedly more aerodynamic and this more accurate. Went over like the proverbial lead balloon. Supposedly exactly two were made.

First Strikes were supposed to "revolutionize" the sport- in this case meaning "everybody would be shooting them". They're popular, yes, and a successful product to be sure. But FS users and FS-ready markers are a very small fraction of the total even today, and not really growing much.

.50 caliber was supposed to revolutionize the sport. A lot cheaper per ball, you could carry way more, a tank of air lasted longer, you name it. Today it's mainly known as "low impact" and largely used only by rental fields to outfit the very youngest players.

One company tried marketing a 5,000 psi tank. Gone. Another company marketed little "bomb fins" you could glue to a paintball to make it more accurate. Gone. Tippmann themselves one tried to make a gun that ran on propane. Sank like a rock. Four or five companies over the years tried to develop and market "backpack" loaders (a'la Blaine and his "Old Painless" minigun from Predator.) First one was shown at an early World Cup around about 1996, at least two others were in development as of just four or five years ago. All of them have disappeared too.

I could go on and on.

Again, not here to discourage you, just trying to temper expectations. I've been in this business for 20 years, and have invented more than a few things myself (and helped others develop things as well) but none of them can be considered "revolutionary".

Paintball players, like people in any other sport, tend to like how their current game is played, and any new thing has to be pretty darn revolutionary to really have an impact. Lowering the hoops in basketball to 4' off the ground and having three on each end of the court is pretty revolutionary, but how many people do you think would actually play it?

Doc.

January 13th, 2018, 12:49 pm #5

Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

January 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm #6

When you're a ham radio operator you get used to the neighbors having that attitude.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

January 13th, 2018, 3:58 pm #7

Oh, that takes me back to the days of Al from the "let's not type the whole name out in full" website of yore.

He, too, claimed to have many an invention, development or idea that would "revolutionize" paintball- then again, he also claimed that Bud Orr, Tom Kaye, the guys from Brass Eagle, Glenn Palmer and the WDP guys "laid awake in cold sweats" at night, knowing (at least according to Al) that they're "stolen" their flagship products from him, and were terrified he'd eventually bring a slew of lawsuits and ruin their companies.

Al, needless to say, had suffered a brain injury- that part is unfortunately not a joke- and required medication to function. Such claims as those above, inevitably came when he decided he was okay, and no longer needed the medications.

Anyway, I don't say that to insult or discourage you. I say that to hopefully level you out a bit.

Literally countless companies have come and gone over the years, each with "revolutionary" developments to the sport. Some, like HPA, force-fed loaders and electronic markers, have indeed made significant changes to the sport.

But on the other hand, there's been thousands of developments that never went anywhere. The ICE Epic was a semiauto with no bolt- it used a sliding "trapdoor" instead. Supposed to be revolutionary, and chop-free, but in reality, it could still chop, and in the 20+ years since the Epic came out, not one single other company has tried to use the same idea.

CCI and Phoenix both tried variants of rotary breeches, each trying a different axis. Neither succeeded, or indeed, even sold in anything other than bare handfuls.

A company years ago came out with a football-shaped paintball called something like the "Safety" ball. Supposedly more aerodynamic and this more accurate. Went over like the proverbial lead balloon. Supposedly exactly two were made.

First Strikes were supposed to "revolutionize" the sport- in this case meaning "everybody would be shooting them". They're popular, yes, and a successful product to be sure. But FS users and FS-ready markers are a very small fraction of the total even today, and not really growing much.

.50 caliber was supposed to revolutionize the sport. A lot cheaper per ball, you could carry way more, a tank of air lasted longer, you name it. Today it's mainly known as "low impact" and largely used only by rental fields to outfit the very youngest players.

One company tried marketing a 5,000 psi tank. Gone. Another company marketed little "bomb fins" you could glue to a paintball to make it more accurate. Gone. Tippmann themselves one tried to make a gun that ran on propane. Sank like a rock. Four or five companies over the years tried to develop and market "backpack" loaders (a'la Blaine and his "Old Painless" minigun from Predator.) First one was shown at an early World Cup around about 1996, at least two others were in development as of just four or five years ago. All of them have disappeared too.

I could go on and on.

Again, not here to discourage you, just trying to temper expectations. I've been in this business for 20 years, and have invented more than a few things myself (and helped others develop things as well) but none of them can be considered "revolutionary".

Paintball players, like people in any other sport, tend to like how their current game is played, and any new thing has to be pretty darn revolutionary to really have an impact. Lowering the hoops in basketball to 4' off the ground and having three on each end of the court is pretty revolutionary, but how many people do you think would actually play it?

Doc.
Ha! Thanks for the out loud chuckle this morning. Don't think I need to explain why (especially upon mention of Al)

I remember 15-20 years ago seeing posts like this all the time. "I have this great idea, but no way of knowing if it will work or how to even get there from here. So someone else should do it, but I want credit (and some free stuff)"

I have to admit though... my curiosity is piqued. A new sport/activity that works with or alongside paintball, and has potential defense contracts.

Side note: N54 is getting REALLY bad lately. Site is becoming almost unusable at times.

January 20th, 2018, 4:35 am #8

I could go on and on.

Doc.
Yes, all those various ideas died the horrible death. But did they MARKET them properly?

Did they market them only to paintball players and the insular market within... or did they market them like the juggernaut that is Apple?

What would you say if i were to take my idea that I have, and the debut marketing thing that the world at large sees...

... is the makers of Call of Duty sponsor a match, I get several teams of my old Army buddies together, we take my old Army buddies and my concept marker and paintball system i have thought up...

... and we play a TELEVISED and HIGHLY publicized tournament in a set of fields built to look EXACTLY like one or several of the maps from the latest Call of Duty game?

We get ESPN, Spike, and several other channels to televise and advertise it as far as it will fly.

And then we aggressively market it like it's an iPhone X.

Think it might have a better shot?

January 20th, 2018, 4:41 am #9

Ha! Thanks for the out loud chuckle this morning. Don't think I need to explain why (especially upon mention of Al)

I remember 15-20 years ago seeing posts like this all the time. "I have this great idea, but no way of knowing if it will work or how to even get there from here. So someone else should do it, but I want credit (and some free stuff)"

I have to admit though... my curiosity is piqued. A new sport/activity that works with or alongside paintball, and has potential defense contracts.

Side note: N54 is getting REALLY bad lately. Site is becoming almost unusable at times.
No.

I do NOT want someone else to do this for me.

I DO NOT want someone at the helm of what would become MY Company.

I want to be the driver, captain, pilot, bosun, AND the dang weapons engineer on this ship.

I just need financial BACKING. As in partners willing to jump in WITH me.

No way in heck am I letting someone else take the reigns from me... they'd get all the money too. Kind of pointless to build a business if you are not going to run it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have piqued your interest. Should you feel like contacting me directly. I can draw up a formal NDA and we can get some paperwork started for the legal secrecy of this idea.

I will not divulge ANYTHING before I have AT LEAST an NDA in the hands of myself and the person I am speaking with. And please, if anyone is going to say they want to jump in with me... please be SERIOUS. Don't bull-puckey me.

January 20th, 2018, 4:45 am #10

The '98 power tube is integral with the valve. In order to lengthen it, you'd presumably need to make an entirely new valve body.

But, there's an option- depending on what you have in mind, if you don't need the bolt to travel all the way down the power tube, you can make a stepped, slip on extension, similar to how tentpoles or two-piece fishing rods slide together.

Such a thing could theoretically be made with a drill press and a wood lathe, if you use something like Delrin, but yeah, a proper metalworking lathe would of course be the far superior choice.

Doc.
I see. As I was thinking about it after I posted this I realized I would have to lengthen the bolt also. And yes, the bolt would have to travel the same RELATIVE distance it travels in the 98 now. And by relative I mean distance it travels now in a stock 98 relative to how far it would have to travel in relation to the longer tube and bolt.

That is what I thought, but I wanted to ask the community as a whole to get some feedback confirmation.

BTW... Silly question I know but I am new to these forums... are you THE "Doc" or no?