How would you make this work?

How would you make this work?

Nevwyn
Nevwyn

September 8th, 2012, 2:55 am #1

A bunch of co-workers and I were sitting around a couple weeks ago (I'm just thinking about it now) and the topic ended up at paintball and one of my co-workers started describing the setup a friend of his had. Apparently he has a Scott Air SCBA pack as his tank, I have been wondering since I don't know how hard it would be but how would you set that up?

September 8th, 2012, 4:00 am #2

Honestly, we used to run CO2 rigs like that all the time. The old remote rigs were great if you had a gas hog that needed a big tank, and particularly good for Automags which were real finicky if they got liquid into them. Some of the big early HPA tanks were run on a remote rig too, mostly because of their bulk and weight on something like a 3k/114ci tank.

Not sure how the scott packs are run, but the best method is to have a regulator right at the tank so that you can run just the operating pressure through the lines. Put a check valve disconnect at the gun input, and off you go. Just don't remember if you needed an additional chamber at the gun on an HPA remote or not to act as a buffer.... it's been a long time.

But any shop with an old school airsmith should be able to set you up no problem. May just have to order some parts, doubt they stock it much these days.

-Hans

Maker of Toys
Maker of Toys

September 8th, 2012, 4:00 am #3

A bunch of co-workers and I were sitting around a couple weeks ago (I'm just thinking about it now) and the topic ended up at paintball and one of my co-workers started describing the setup a friend of his had. Apparently he has a Scott Air SCBA pack as his tank, I have been wondering since I don't know how hard it would be but how would you set that up?
Normally Tangled. . . .

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

September 8th, 2012, 4:26 am #4

Honestly, we used to run CO2 rigs like that all the time. The old remote rigs were great if you had a gas hog that needed a big tank, and particularly good for Automags which were real finicky if they got liquid into them. Some of the big early HPA tanks were run on a remote rig too, mostly because of their bulk and weight on something like a 3k/114ci tank.

Not sure how the scott packs are run, but the best method is to have a regulator right at the tank so that you can run just the operating pressure through the lines. Put a check valve disconnect at the gun input, and off you go. Just don't remember if you needed an additional chamber at the gun on an HPA remote or not to act as a buffer.... it's been a long time.

But any shop with an old school airsmith should be able to set you up no problem. May just have to order some parts, doubt they stock it much these days.

-Hans
As long as the tank is outputting ~800 psi you will have enough flow through a remote that you don't need a reservoir chamber on the gun. If you tried to feed the gun from a low pressure tank reg (~300 psi) you'd have flow issues at higher rates of fire.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

September 8th, 2012, 4:27 am #5

Normally Tangled. . . .
I ran one for a few months. Never had any issues. Luckily at the time I wasn't ambidextrous.