How "universal" are drill press spider wheels?

March 16th, 2018, 3:07 am #1

Among your basic overseas inexpensive presses...

I've got an older Duracraft 45160 (made in 1989).  Cheap junk I bought for $40 because the guy tipped it over and broke the hand wheel hub.  I've still got one handle that can be used, the others are sitting in a drawer because the hub's too busted to screw them in.

Runout is bad... I'm guessing he bent the chuck too.  For the price I'll probably throw a $30 amazon chuck at it, and maybe some bearings...but the decision maker on that will be if I can do something with this handle.

Suggestions?  I'd really rather find a better unit and be done with it, but I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks and there just isn't anything around in that price range.  So if I can fix this one I will

Runout:

March 16th, 2018, 3:51 pm #2

The handwheel looks to be threaded on - any chance you can remove the remainder of the old one so you can match for a replacement?  I've found similar parts at McMaster-Carr and Reid Supply or you might have luck finding something from a scrapped DP on eBay.  

The runout could be chuck or spindle - often the chucks on these are badly made and abused, so the only way to distinguish between the conditions is to pop the chuck and run an indicator on the spindle nose.

March 16th, 2018, 7:57 pm #3

They're not even remotely "universal". Tool makers will generally make their own spider hub, and even if you find a parts machine from a similar Asian maker, there's no guarantee it'll fit. Might be worth a shot if you can find a $20 junker, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They are, however, easy enough to make- well, it would be if you had a lathe. 😋 I have a pictorial build here- yours would be easier in that you don't need to make it two piece (I did so it'd "clamp" to the hex shaft.) You'd just need to drill and tap it for a setscrew- although now that I think about it, you'd likely have to broach it for a key as well.

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22, isn't it? You have to have tools in order to make the parts to fix the tools... I was there for a great many years, not all that long ago... 😁

Doc.

March 17th, 2018, 1:31 pm #4

DocsMachine wrote: They're not even remotely "universal". Tool makers will generally make their own spider hub, and even if you find a parts machine from a similar Asian maker, there's no guarantee it'll fit. Might be worth a shot if you can find a $20 junker, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They are, however, easy enough to make- well, it would be if you had a lathe. 😋 I have a pictorial build here- yours would be easier in that you don't need to make it two piece (I did so it'd "clamp" to the hex shaft.) You'd just need to drill and tap it for a setscrew- although now that I think about it, you'd likely have to broach it for a key as well.

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22, isn't it? You have to have tools in order to make the parts to fix the tools... I was there for a great many years, not all that long ago... 😁

Doc.
I'm looking at another lathe that's a good bit closer.  A Sebastian Viking?

So... What would it take to talk you into spinning up those fancy tools and making a hub for me?  ;)

I'd draw it up in Inventor and send you what I need.  Hell, if you got the CNC close to running I'll even send you cad files if you want to try out some simple tool path conversions :)

March 17th, 2018, 7:35 pm #5

I'm looking at another lathe that's a good bit closer.  A Sebastian Viking?
-I've heard of Sebastian, they were kind of a... sister company, or offshoot, of Sheldon- or, now that I think about it, more likely an earlier company that got bought out BY Sheldon.

Anyway, you mean this one?

That's not a terrible choice, I'm given to understand Sebastians were pretty decent machines, and the price on that one isn't atrocious, but really, if it were me, I'd have jumped at that Logan. The Sebastian has a smaller spindle pass-thru, fewer turning and threading speeds, and will be a lot harder to find repair, replacement or upgrade parts for.

Either that or go get this real man's lathe instead. 😁
So... What would it take to talk you into spinning up those fancy tools and making a hub for me?  ;)

I'd draw it up in Inventor and send you what I need.  Hell, if you got the CNC close to running I'll even send you cad files if you want to try out some simple tool path conversions :)
-No, I'm still a ways from having the Logan back up and running. I haven't touched it in two or three weeks, and I still have more cables to run, the cable chains to install, the carriage lube connections to sort out, etc.

I can turn one manually for you, though, if you're not in too much of a hurry. Give me a typical dimensioned drawing and we'll go from there.

Doc.

March 18th, 2018, 2:19 am #6

the logan may still be available... it's just 4 hours + each way.  If it weren't for that I'd already own it.  Well, that... and I spent a few bucks on a pair of these

And one of these:

Aaaand this:

Not to mention a box full of associated tubing, v band clamps, hoses, etc.  And I still haven't even opened these:

....which contain a mandrel tubing bender, stand, 1" and 1.625" dies, tubing notcher and welding vice.

All of which is about double the cost of that logan (which I'm still tempted to try and go get...dammit)

March 23rd, 2018, 1:31 am #7

Lofted a drawing in the general direction of your inbox.

August 3rd, 2018, 2:12 am #8

Bringing this back up.  Still need a hub made.  Anyone interested in a lathe project?

August 10th, 2018, 6:37 am #9

timberwolfz28, I need an excuse to spend more time in the shop.  Too many very late nights at the office 20 miles from house & shop.

Send your drawing (PDF preferred, because I probably don't have the same set of CAD tools you do) to machinist@saf3.net  and let me know where you want the spider delivered.  Depending on the part size and the required taps (got practically every SAE tap, but not so complete on metrics), I might have to charge materials, otherwise just shipping.

August 10th, 2018, 12:45 pm #10

sfriedberg wrote: timberwolfz28, I need an excuse to spend more time in the shop.  Too many very late nights at the office 20 miles from house & shop.

Send your drawing (PDF preferred, because I probably don't have the same set of CAD tools you do) to machinist@saf3.net  and let me know where you want the spider delivered.  Depending on the part size and the required taps (got practically every SAE tap, but not so complete on metrics), I might have to charge materials, otherwise just shipping.
Thanks!  I'll send it over this evening after work.